Would you change any events of the last 100 years of history

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Unread postby Koichi » Thu May 11, 2006 4:06 am

Han Xin wrote:I'll killed James prior to June 2002 so SoSZ would not have started in the first place. Nothing bring me more joy than to see you guys suffer the pain of debating with mineless people from SOC and 3K.net :twisted:

http://www.3kingdoms.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19258

Well I dunno, I've been wanting to buy an Apple iPod for a while. I just needed someone to post an ad on the forums' world history section so I could see what prices they're available at...

On a more serious note, this is actually a tough question for me. In perspective of the rest of history, I really think things are alright now. Being Chinese, I often wonder what would've happened if a more patriotic and responsible person than Yuan Shikai led the Chinese republic in its infancy.
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Would you change any events of the last 100 years of his

Unread postby ky9ersfan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:23 am

-I would save JFK & RFK, and bring into fruition their ideals for a better America.

-Foreign policy blunders. Stop America's war entry into Vietnam, going to war with a former WW2 ally makes absolutely no sense. If they want freedom from France so be it, if they want to be communist so be it, it matters absolutely nothing to us. At the end of the day they were a former ally, their ideology matters not, we can't tell people how to think.

-Instead we should've sent troops into Africa, and formed friendly relations with willing nations, and end genocide by the unchecked tyrants. Then formed relations with the democratic "puppet states". Then modernize parts of Africa, for a good world image, while at the same time setting up a monopoly on the abundance of natural resources. Example, when it became clear that our oil dollars were funding middle eastern terrorism, we should've pulled out of middle eastern relations, and conducted relations with Israel, and oil rich African nations like Equatorial New Guinea.
ky9ersfan
Initiate

Unread postby Kayzr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:47 pm

No World War 1.
Let us begin with Zeus, whom we mortals never leave unspoken.
For every street, every market-place is full of Zeus.
Even the sea and the harbour are full of this deity.
Everywhere everyone is indebted to Zeus.
For we are indeed his offspring.
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Kayzr wrote:No World War 1.

A little late for that, old chap. World War I was already well underway in 22 June of 1916.

However, it might have been possible to keep the Americans out of the war, as they entered the following year. Though that would have been dependent on one of the following: assassinating Wilson, impeaching him, or hobbling him through Congress.

Failing that, a certain number of revisions to the Treaty of Versailles three years later would not come amiss, I think. Not making Germany pay reparations for the war and splitting the costs of rebuilding Europe evenly among the countries involved would likely have averted the economic disaster that awaited Germany (and, indeed, the rest of the world). Not having a Saarbeckengebiet (under which German workers would be repressed and German women would be humiliated and sexually-assaulted by vengeful French soldiers) might also have helped.

Anyway, just a random assortment of ideas on how WWI might have been more satisfactorily concluded...
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Kayzr » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:53 am

Two years is a bit of a nitpick mate :P
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:27 am

Kayzr wrote:Two years is a bit of a nitpick mate :P

True. I'd also have preferred WWI not happen at all, but the 'what-if' scenarios even after the War started are still fun to imagine.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Kayzr » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:01 am

WeiWenDi wrote:

True. I'd also have preferred WWI not happen at all, but the 'what-if' scenarios even after the War started are still fun to imagine.

No World War 1 would mean no World War 2 and, likely, no Bolshevik Revolution because Russia would not be in such a weakened state.
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:28 am

Print out a hundred pages on Florida's closeness and the rehnquist five's treachery. Add in a few on 9/11.
Go back sixteen years and give the printout to Gore's campaign.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:13 am

Kayzr wrote:
WeiWenDi wrote:

No World War 1 would mean no World War 2 and, likely, no Bolshevik Revolution because Russia would not be in such a weakened state.

How would "No World War I" work tho? I feel like like world war 1 isn't really an event and shouldn't be able to change it. Something like if the Archduke was never killed, but even then countries were building up for a war and there's a chance that some other events might have unfolded that results in a massive war in Europe years down the line.

A change in the provisions of the Treaty of Versailles would be interesting, or a much quicker, less devastating war. Say the Russians broke through in Prussia and marched to Berlin, thus less casualties and a better peace treaty, as not as much was lost. How would the world look different? There's a chance that World War I and II, despite their toll on this world, had provided positive benefits that might have never occurred, mainly a collective between developed nations to upkeep human rights and whatnot.
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to World History Deliberation