Would you change any events of the last 100 years of history

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Would you change any events of the last 100 years of history

Unread postby Roy » Thu May 04, 2006 9:55 pm

If you could would you change any of the events in the past 100 years. iwould like to hear your opinions
User avatar
Roy
Changshi
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: In the U.S. Army

Unread postby football11f » Thu May 04, 2006 10:03 pm

Killing Adolf Hitler, Pol Pot and Vladamir Lenin as kids would be a start.
User avatar
football11f
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu May 04, 2006 10:24 pm

football11f wrote:Killing Adolf Hitler, Pol Pot and Vladamir Lenin as kids would be a start.

Or simply preventing the atrocities for which they were responsible without going nuts and killing them. But if it wasn't them, it would be someone else. Good call on Lenin, though. He kick-started a poorly-conceived movement that undermined socialism's potential. It would have been better for world politics if it had been allowed to develop naturally.

Since I'm not big on super-speculative history (who knows what the world would be like if there had been no WWII, for example?!), I'll pick something that wouldn't change the course of mankind as drastically. Maybe persuade the Beatles to stay together. Or prevent 9/11, for a more recent option.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
User avatar
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God
 
Posts: 11807
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:38 pm
Location: Canada

Unread postby Wo Long » Thu May 04, 2006 11:03 pm

No. History happened the way at did and we could make it 100 times worse by changing the slightest thing. I wouldn't risk changing a thing.
Me Blog.
Restore the Ming Dynasty in Beijing!
User avatar
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:51 am

Unread postby urbanterrorist » Thu May 04, 2006 11:23 pm

Ahh Wo Long I see you speak of the Butterfly effect.

But if it did not apply to this situation I would have to say stopping the assasination of JFK, Martin Luther King, RFK, and Malcolm X.
They miss the whisper that runs any day in your mind,
"Who are you really, wanderer?" and the answer you have to give
no matter how dark and cold the world around you is:
"Maybe I'm a king. -William Stafford
User avatar
urbanterrorist
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2278
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: Schlachthof Fünf

Unread postby Wo Long » Fri May 05, 2006 1:22 am

urbanterrorist wrote:Ahh Wo Long I see you speak of the Butterfly effect.

But if it did not apply to this situation I would have to say stopping the assasination of JFK, Martin Luther King, RFK, and Malcolm X.


Being able to change the last 10 minutes or so wouldn't be bad (so if you accidentally said something at the wrong time or whatever, you could change it), but there are far too many catastrophic consequences that could befall humanity. How do we know that out of over 6 million Jews plus the millions of others that were slaughtered in the Holocaust, there wasn't another Hitler or Dong Zhuo or Oprah Winfrey? I wouldn't ever take that chance.
Me Blog.
Restore the Ming Dynasty in Beijing!
User avatar
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:51 am

Unread postby Mistelten » Fri May 05, 2006 3:08 am

Kong Wen wrote:
football11f wrote:Killing Adolf Hitler, Pol Pot and Vladamir Lenin as kids would be a start.

Or simply preventing the atrocities for which they were responsible without going nuts and killing them. But if it wasn't them, it would be someone else. Good call on Lenin, though. He kick-started a poorly-conceived movement that undermined socialism's potential. It would have been better for world politics if it had been allowed to develop naturally.

Do you think things would have progressed better if Kerensky and his government had more time? I think at least without Lenin, free elections would have been worth something and there probably wouldn't have been a civil war.
User avatar
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2832
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:12 am

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri May 05, 2006 5:16 am

Mistelten wrote:Do you think things would have progressed better if Kerensky and his government had more time? I think at least without Lenin, free elections would have been worth something and there probably wouldn't have been a civil war.

I guess I meant on a global level rather than specifically the effect on Russia/USSR. Socialism would be a whole different ball-game without Lenin's revolution and the subsequent monolithic influence the USSR had on communist movements across Europe and in Asia. Imagine if socialism had been allowed to emerge (much later) as a viable political alternative in the USA, without the Cold War bad-guy stigma to bog it down.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
User avatar
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God
 
Posts: 11807
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:38 pm
Location: Canada

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri May 05, 2006 7:58 am

I would prevent any sort of political fundamentalism, but some indication to the world as to why it's wrong.

ie- no Hitler, no Mousolini, but with the knowledge that these people are terrible and that they should never take control of a country (otherwise basically World Wars could happen all the same)

Also I would like to prevent the rise of governments who dont allow demonstrations and free speech like the Chinese one who killed those students at Tien An Men.
User avatar
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4034
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: London, England

Unread postby Snake » Fri May 05, 2006 8:21 am

Kong Wen wrote:
Mistelten wrote:Do you think things would have progressed better if Kerensky and his government had more time? I think at least without Lenin, free elections would have been worth something and there probably wouldn't have been a civil war.

I guess I meant on a global level rather than specifically the effect on Russia/USSR. Socialism would be a whole different ball-game without Lenin's revolution and the subsequent monolithic influence the USSR had on communist movements across Europe and in Asia. Imagine if socialism had been allowed to emerge (much later) as a viable political alternative in the USA, without the Cold War bad-guy stigma to bog it down.


The Constituent Assembly was pretty darn Socialist and Commie anyway.
Former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke was at one time the world record holder for fastest sculling of a yard of beer
Snake
Master
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:28 am
Location: Australia

Next

Return to World History Deliberation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved