National Heros

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Unread postby Catalyst » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:02 pm

OMG! What's wrong with all of you? You're forgetting some of the most brilliant minds in history!

Can anyone say "Issac Newton"? Or maybe "Albert Einstein"? Though they might not be war heroes, you have to admit, what they did for both their countries, not to mention the world, are some of the greatest things ever!

I add to the collection of geniuses left unmentioned. I don't know all their native countries, but I'll post the ones I do:

Issac Newton (England)
Albert Einstein (Austria, I think, was his native country. Correct me if I'm wrong...)
Galileo Galilei (Italy)
Leonardo DaVinci (Italy, as well, am I right? Possibly France, though...)
Socrates (Greece)
Aristotle (Greece)

There re plenty of other's I can't think of at the moment, but you did miss them. ;)
Catalyst
Apostle of Peace

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:15 pm

Catalyst wrote:OMG! What's wrong with all of you? You're forgetting some of the most brilliant minds in history!

Can anyone say "Issac Newton"? Or maybe "Albert Einstein"? Though they might not be war heroes, you have to admit, what they did for both their countries, not to mention the world, are some of the greatest things ever!

I add to the collection of geniuses left unmentioned. I don't know all their native countries, but I'll post the ones I do:

Issac Newton (England)
Albert Einstein (Austria, I think, was his native country. Correct me if I'm wrong...)
Galileo Galilei (Italy)
Leonardo DaVinci (Italy, as well, am I right? Possibly France, though...)
Socrates (Greece)
Aristotle (Greece)

There re plenty of other's I can't think of at the moment, but you did miss them. ;)

Those are good choices, and they're definitely great people, but I was trying to think of people who are renowned for the unification/preservation of their country, or is a historical icon specific to that country. The scientific world consists of all nations. Just some of my reasons for picking who I did.
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Vanman » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:12 pm

I can think of a few to add on Canada's list:

Louis Riel
Billy Bishop
Pierre Trudeau
Sam Steele
Tommy Douglas

One name keeps popping in my head first and formost- retired general Romeo Dallaire, the man in charge of the failed UN mission in Rwanda.
If you don't know of him, I suggest you search him up. What he went through boggles the mind.

Hero is not a term I use too often, but to my mind, there is no doubt that he deserves that title.
"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains save both." -Erwin Rommel
Vanman
Assistant

Unread postby Mike » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:23 pm

Vanman wrote:One name keeps popping in my head first and formost- retired general Romeo Dallaire, the man in charge of the failed UN mission in Rwanda.
If you don't know of him, I suggest you search him up. What he went through boggles the mind.

He also wrote a book recently...I believe it is called Shake Hands with the Devil

Now I've been thinking about putting Lester B. Pearson onto Canada's list because of his handling of the Suez Crisis which led to a Nobel Peace Prize. Yet, I think his silly antics during the Vietnam War lead to me to not want to choose him...

Another hero for Canada would be Sir Fredrick Banting. He discovered insulin, which is a pretty big feat considering how many people world-wide are affected by diabetes.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Koichi » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:22 am

Uhh yeah guys this thread becomes pointless if you just name whoever you think is cool that came from a specific country (ie Canada: Celine Dion) :roll: I thought the author intended to pick out people that are regarded as national heroes. These guys(or gals) are usually instrumental either in the creation of a country or its defense against a powerful enemy. As you can all notice, they're usually soldiers, statesmen, or both. On that note, I think Toyotomi Hideyoshi is considered more of a national hero to Japan than Nobunaga because he succeeded not only in unification but setting up a system of government copied by the Tokugawa shoguns (and stayed for the next 200+ years). By the way, it wouldn't hurt for people to explain why their candidates would fit this criteria.

Spain- El Cid- seen as the protector of Christian Spain against the Moors.

France- Joan of Arc- before the Hundred Years War, France was ruled by French nobles. During the war, half the country was ruled by the English. After the war, it was ruled by the King of France. This was Joan's work.

China- Yue Fei- defended China against Jurchen foreign invaders.

US- George Washington- "First in the hearts of his countrymen..."

Turkey- Mustafa Kemal- "father of the Turks", the founder of modern, post- Ottoman Turkey.

Canada- Isaac Brock- the defender of Canada from the newly-formed US.
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Subotai » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:45 am

Guan Yunchang wrote:
Subotai wrote:Mao Zedong
Zhou Enlai
Kung Fuzi
Lao Tzu
George Washington
Sagacious Lu
Alfred the Great
William Wallace
Mencius
Xunzi
Qin Shi Huangdi
Temujin
Saladin
Richard the Lionheart
the Greeks at the Gate of Hell
Malcolm Little, aka Malcolm X
Jesus (not sure what country though)
Buddha (again)
Mohammad (again)
Catherine the Great
Joseph II
Frederick the Great
Barbarossa
the Common Man and Woman!
Johnny Cash

wouldnt put TR on the list, cause of his hardcore racist attitudes....

You didn't put Teddy for his faults, yet you included Enlai and Zedong? Pricks.

No Martin Luther King Jr.? And yet you put Malcom X? How can you award a guy who fought racism with more racism?

Jesus is from and did all the work that makes him a hero today in Isreal, but let's be honest. I suppose the best bet for him would be Italy or South America in general.

Buddha is most revered in Sri Lanka.

Why do you call Zhou Enlai and Mao Zedong pricks?
Have you ever read Malcolm X's biography by Alex Haley?
ok, I said Jesus, I did not denote a specific country
and Buddha came from India and had a profound influence on all of East Asia so pick a country.
"If your sword is sharp, then mine is never dull!"

Yuan Shao to the rebel Tung Cho.
Subotai
Langzhong

Unread postby Mike » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:52 am

Koichi wrote:Canada- Isaac Brock- the defender of Canada from the newly-formed US.

I personally wouldn't consider Isaac Brock to be a Canadian. But if CBC says he's a Canadian then sure. Anyways, back to Brock. I've always thought that he didn't do much for Canada. All I remember him doing was leading the defence of the British colonies of Upper Canada against the Americans during the War of 1812 and getting killed at the Battle of Queenston Heights.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Guan Yunchang » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:59 am

Subotai wrote:Why do you call Zhou Enlai and Mao Zedong pricks?
Have you ever read Malcolm X's biography by Alex Haley?
ok, I said Jesus, I did not denote a specific country
and Buddha came from India and had a profound influence on all of East Asia so pick a country.

Enlai and Zedong, two of the biggest powers in China's communist history. I think that should speak for itself.
I know plenty about Maclom X. Doesn't make him a good guy. A could point out any white racist, and say that he is an equal to Malcom X. King on the other hand wanted true equality and would be ashamed at some people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.
Sri Lanka is a Buddhist haven. India is still predominantly Hindu.
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea.
All we do, crumbles to the ground though we refuse to see.
Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind.
Rest in piece Liao Hua.
Guan Yunchang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Rest in peace good buddy. I only hope you missed me as much as I miss you now.

Unread postby Duncan » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:49 am

South Africa - Nelson Mandela (obviously) for his influence in unifying the country under majority rule by instituting a programme of reconciliation.

England - King Arthur Pendragon - for representing truth, justice and chivalry.

England again - Beowulf - for the spirit of the glorious but probably doomed fight against overwhelming odds.
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SYL » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:43 am

Interesting note that people don't even have to be verifiably real to be a national hero. :wink:

These guys(or gals) are usually instrumental either in the creation of a country or its defense against a powerful enemy.

I don't think this is true at all. I think that Aneurin Bevan's championing of the modern welfare state and Charles Darwin reshaping the way we look at biology makes them as much British "national heroes" as Drake and Nelson. It's just that war heroes make the most obvious candidates.

Lamentably, I forgot Nelson in my original list. One of the greatest naval heroes of all time, perhaps? Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington, deserves a mention, too.
aortic high arctic part mood altered paradise is lost
SYL
Esswhyell

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation