National Heros

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: National Heros

Unread postby Mestre Will » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Brazilian Heroes:

Dom Pedro I (declared the independence of Brazil)
Alberto Santos Dumont (The Father of aviation ; inventor of the airplane ,airship and the wrist watch)
Duque de Caxias
Pelé (The King of soccer)
Tiradentes
Marechal Deodoro da fonseca(declared the republic)

and some regional heroes,that mean in a place he is a hero and in other nothing.
Knowledge is achieved with time, but Intelligence is born with it or without it. - Mestre Will
Mestre Will
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby MistroPain » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:43 am

Well I am British but of Arab/Kurdish Ethnicities.
So many lists of British Heroes may as well give a try at Iraqi Heroes:

-Gilgamesh, King of Uruk. A difficult one to say since I am still unsure if he was or was not real, some argue he is a real person with a long Epic (Epic of Gilgamesh) based on him which probably would have distorted his real image and what he did, others argue he is entirely from the Epic. Anyways, I guess the true reason people would see him as a Hero is mainly because the Epic based on him makes the nation somewhat proud, being a nation with the first to have quite a lot of things including literature and his Epic being some kind of proof of that.
-Khalid Ibn Walid. Definately one of my top heroes. The reason Iraq is a Muslim Country today is thanks to him I guess. A great general who conquered Mesopotamia during the Islamic Conquest. In my personal opinion he is one of the top generals the world has ever seen (Arguable).
-Saladin. Again one of my top heroes (Well actually he is my top hero). A kurdish man born in Tikrit in Iraq who conquered and united the Middle East. Fought off Crusaders successfully, only truly struggling to Richard the Lionheart and King Baldwin.
-Jabir ibn Hayyan. Argued to be the Father of Chemistry. A lot of Medieval Alchemy is argued to be influenced by him. More so some argue the word Gibberish derives from his name, everyone loves gibberish!
Though his ethnicity is not clear (Some say he is arab, others say he is Persian) his works were done in Iraq...
-Alkindus (Al-Kindi). An Islamic Philosopher, Scientist, Astrologer, Cosmologist, Chemist, Mathematician, Musician, Physician, Physicist, Psychologist, and Meteorologist..... Well he did way too much to note here...

Those are the ones I can think of right now...
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:47 am

Jim Bridger should be added to America's list. Along with countless other pioneers, settlers, and Native Americans I'd reckon.

EDIT: Not to mention any general in the great wars (patton, eisenhower) or the Civil War (Lee, Grant, Sherman, Forest, etc). Most of the civil rights leaders (MLK, Malcolm X). Many of the presidents (FDR, Lincoln, Reagan).
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:48 pm

Whoever mentioned Ian Paisley as a hero here, so wrong, because of his legacy there are now riots on my doorstep and I kid you not with that one!! Neither he nor Republican extremists nor Loyalist extremists have yet to solve the problem of their less than peaceful solutions to things!! Heroes are supposed to accomplish something!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Previous

Return to World History Deliberation