Best strategist ever in Chinese History

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Best strategist ever in Chinese History

Unread postby Dragon_Lord » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:02 pm

Sun Tzu in my book
Dragon_Lord
Initiate

Unread postby someguy44 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:44 am

Snake wrote:I don't see how Sun Tzu could rate as the grestest strategist.

He himself most likely never used them so it's imposible, and quite idiotic, to say that he is the greatest or that he could defeat anyone else in a battle.

Maybe Yue Fei or Cao Cao should be up there.

In theory, he is. How many generals used his book as their "bible" throughout history? If his book wasn't great, then how can he not be a great strategist? Besides, he did train a bunch of palace maidens to become great warriors.
I am Zhao ZiLong of ChangShan!!!
someguy44
Initiate

Unread postby Snake » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:02 pm

someguy44 wrote:

He himself most likely never used them so it's imposible, and quite idiotic, to say that he is the greatest or that he could defeat anyone else in a battle.

In theory, he is. How many generals used his book as their "bible" throughout history? If his book wasn't great, then how can he not be a great strategist? Besides, he did train a bunch of palace maidens to become great warriors.

And? Just because many people follow it doesn't make it the best.

And as I said, he wrote a book. He probably never had an army and never proved himself as a great leader in an actual battle.

As is the case with Ma Su, being knowledgable and knowing all their is to learn fron reading is one thing, but when it comes to an actual battle things don't always turn out how they do on paper.
Snake
Master

Unread postby Rommel » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:34 pm

Snake wrote:And? Just because many people follow it doesn't make it the best.

And as I said, he wrote a book. He probably never had an army and never proved himself as a great leader in an actual battle.

Sun Tzu didn't lead an army? Are you sure? Was he the one who helped his master to become the most powerful warlord during his time?
Rommel
Sage

Unread postby bodidley » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:41 pm

The only referance we have to Sun Tzu as a historical figure is a short, and rather vague biography by Sima Qian. In that he doesn't lead many armies or change the course of history.

Based on his track record, Sun Tzu cannot be considered the greatest general of all time; only based on his military manual can one make that assertion. Sun Tzu didn't invent strategic theory either. He is far pre-dated by the Tai Gung, and parts of Sun Wu Bing Fa are derivative of the Six Secret Teachings of the Tai Gung.
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Snake » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:52 am

The only referance we have to Sun Tzu as a historical figure is a short, and rather vague biography by Sima Qian. In that he doesn't lead many armies or change the course of history.

Based on his track record, Sun Tzu cannot be considered the greatest general of all time; only based on his military manual can one make that assertion. Sun Tzu didn't invent strategic theory either. He is far pre-dated by the Tai Gung, and parts of Sun Wu Bing Fa are derivative of the Six Secret Teachings of the Tai Gung.

Thank you Mr. Didley.
Snake
Master

Unread postby Cao Chao » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:37 am

Sunzi aka Sun Wu did use his tactics in battle. He served the kingdom of Wu and during his service made Wu into one of the greatest and strongest kingdoms of the period, primarily through his tactics and his training of the soldiers. However, after seeing the depravity of a new King of Wu and of another important scholar/strategist by the name of Wu Zixu, Sunzi left Wu's service and moved on, becoming a hermit, where he eventually put down all of his thoughts on military tactics and warfare into his monumental book.

Anyways, my list of famous Chinese strategists, in some assemblance of order...

1. Sunzi (author of the Art of War and an important military strategist that served the kingdom of Wu)
2. Jiang Ziya (famous and mythical strategist that helped bring about the end of the Shang Dynasty and found the Zhou Dynasty)
3. Zhang Liang (talented advisor of Han Gaozu)
4. Wu Qi (a talented general of the Warring States Period that served several kingdoms, he instituted widespread military reforms)
5. Chen Ping (advisor to Han Gaozu)
6. Sun Bin (descendant of Sunzi and author of his book on military strategies; a fellow student by the name of Pang Juan attempted to kill Sun Bin, but only succeeded in breaking the man's legs; later on, Sun Bin would have the satisfaction of trapping, ambushing, and killing Pang Juan)
7. Yue Fei (a valiant and tactically astute general during the Song Dynasty that worked to repel the Jin (Manchu) invaders, as well as recapture territory lost by the dynasty; he was later accused of treason and executed)
8. Han Xin (talented general and strategist that served under Han Gaozu; so important that Xiao He left his duties and chased after him)
9. Zhu Yuanzhang (founder of the Ming Dynasty)
10. Li Zicheng (the immensely successful rebel commander that succeeded in capturing Beijing and effectively ended the Ming Dynasty; founded the short lived Shun Dynasty; later defeated by the combined force of Wu Sangui and the Qing invaders)
11. Liu Xiu (founder of the Western Han Dynasty and a talented strategist)
Last edited by Cao Chao on Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby TheRealWolfman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:31 pm

I gotta say Zhuge Liang, i consider the only one that can go against him is Sun Tzu, that guys book is like the bible for military tactics (even though i haven't read both yet, but they are on my list for lifetime goals).
TheRealWolfman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Chao » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:24 pm

If you understand the true historical Zhuge Kongming, you would know that he was in reality a relatively poor battlefield tactician and strategist. He was a great politician and administrator, but not a great strategist.
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation