Best strategist ever in Chinese History

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Unread postby WeiTreize » Fri May 06, 2005 7:18 pm

I went back and reread both the art of war and mastering the art of war and Think that Zhuge Liang is better than Sun Tzu.
"A single death is a tragedy;A million deaths is a statistic."
-Joseph Stalin 1945
WeiTreize
Academic

Unread postby zhaoyunsguanyu » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:34 am

Zhuge Liang of course.
zhaoyunsguanyu
Apprentice

Unread postby Swannzie » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:45 pm

Sun Tzu of course but Zhuge Liang comes in a close second.
Swannzie
Tyro

Unread postby Lu Wei » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:17 am

How about some more modern strategists? Mao Zedong was an excellent military commander, strategist and tactician, and unlike Zhuge Liang, managed to unite China under one ruler. Kangxi (might be Qianlong) launched ten succesful campaigns, defeated Russia (most people overlook this when they say the Russo-Japanese War was the first time an Asian power defeated a European one), and was overall an excellent ruler.
"The purpose of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his."
General George S. Patton, Jr.
Lu Wei
Langzhong

Unread postby someguy44 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:53 pm

How can Zhuge Liang be the best or close to being the best strategist ever? You guys do realize that the Zhuge Liang in the novel is very different from the one in Chinese history? He has never participated in military campaigns till after Liu Bei's death. Even after that, he didn't do anything outstanding (military-wise). He did subdue the Mans, but they rebelled again anyway. In the novel, most of the tactics / accomplishments he made were credited to him from LGZ, but historically they belong to other officers of the other kingdoms. He was a good administrator, but a good strategist??? come on!

He can't hold a candle to Sun Tzu whose "Art of War" is reknown throughout the ages. I don't know if you guys understand this, but if you ask me to a pick a strategist from within the 3 kingdoms era for my own make-believe kingdom, I would pick many many officers ahead of Zhuge Liang (with Cao Cao as my number 1 pick).
I am Zhao ZiLong of ChangShan!!!
someguy44
Initiate

Unread postby Zhang Liang » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:07 am

A list of some of China's greatest military strategist. In no particular order...

1. Zhang Liang
2. Jiang Ziya
3. Sun Zi
4. Guan Zhong
5. Wu Qi
6. Sun Bin
7. Liu Ji
8. Chen Ping

And more that I can't recall as of right now, though my personal favorite is Zhang Zifang(Liang) who advised Han Gaozu in many battles to establish the Han dynasty. His efforts to Han Gaozu was able to overcome the more powerful Chu forces of Xiang Yu with the help of Xiao He and Han Xin as well...
“在创造中的任何一件事情是足够的显示一上帝到一谦卑和感谢的头脑。”
Zhang Liang
Apprentice

Unread postby Ma_Dai » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:09 pm

I am fond mostly of Lu Xun over Zhuge Liang, but that is my opinion. I do not know which to choose but in the end I will have to Say Zhuge Liang was a better strategist. But Sun Tzu was also a wonderful strategist.
Ma_Dai
Apprentice

Unread postby bodidley » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:23 pm

Besides a very brief biography by Sima Qian we don't really have much to say that Sun Wu (that is, the Sun Tzu of "Art of War" fame) existed, and besides that what we know of him doesn't indicate he had a long career leading armies. Sun Bin is a different story of course.

I can't say for sure he was the greatest, but Wu Qi is my fave 8-)
Last edited by bodidley on Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Squaddie » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:54 pm

Sun Tzu for me. Author of the Art Of War, which the british army use to determine their fighting styles!
Squaddie
Tyro

Unread postby Snake » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:19 pm

I don't see how Sun Tzu could rate as the grestest strategist.

He himself most likely never used them so it's imposible, and quite idiotic, to say that he is the greatest or that he could defeat anyone else in a battle.

Maybe Yue Fei or Cao Cao should be up there.
Snake
Master

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation