History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:42 pm

what if Toshiie Maeda had lived past his historical death and lived long enough to see the struggle for power between Mitsunari and Ieyasu, what would he have done?
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:46 pm

He most probably would have joined Ishida and died with him at Sekigahara. Ishida had no chance even given his charisma and skills and Maeda would not change that.

However, Maeda was a man of many loyalties, so its possible he might have been a glory hog and joined Ieyasu.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:25 pm

I have a litlle question on World War 2:

Why do you think german troops halted their advance at Dunkerque? It may have influenced the whole outcome of the war...
English is not my mother tongue. I hope the comprehension isn't too hard.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:45 pm

To consolidate their forces and because Hitler and von Rundstedt wanted to concentrate on mopping up in the south of France. It was a tactical error and Hitler soon realized that, but not soon enough.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Ok, thanks.

But then, what should we do with the rule "Never attack an enemy without escape, for he will put up a desperate fight which might deal a severe blow."
I mean the french and english had already given the Germans much difficulties in progressing and if the germans had marched on, it would certainly have been a massive bloodshed, on both sides?

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:14 pm

In all likelihood, yes. Note that the body count at Dunkirk was actually greater on the German side, though the Allies lost a tremendous amount of equipment. I don't think the Germans spent too much time considering how many casualties they'd take once they decided to go after Dunkirk-really, even large losses would have been acceptable if they had managed to stop the evacuation.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Yes, specially knowing that England might nor have withstood the german air attack with a loss of so much soldiers... they might have hold Belgian troops in hostage... though France subdued anyway.

Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Unread postby SirBalin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:28 pm

Probably not a quick question but, what makes Xiang Yu be seen by many of you people as one of the best commanders of all time?
SirBalin
Tyro

Unread postby Cao Chao » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:27 am

SirBalin wrote:Probably not a quick question but, what makes Xiang Yu be seen by many of you people as one of the best commanders of all time?

He's not the best, but a pretty good commander. He's primarily known for the Battle of Julu. In this battle, the fate of the Qin Dynasty was determined by a combination of Xiang Yu's generalship and the Qin eunuch, Zhao Gao's perfidy.

In 207 BC, the rebel force of Zhao Xie was besieged in Handan by Qin armies led by Zhang Han and his subordinates, Wang Li (grandson of Wang Jian, son of Wang Ben) and She Jian. Song Yi was sent by King Huai of Chu with an army of 50-60,000 troops to relieve the siege. On the way, Song Yi's lack of haste to complete the mission and concern for the troops led to Xiang Yu's mutiny. With the support of the troops, Xiang Yu surprised Song Yi in his tent and assassinated him.

Crossing the Yellow River, Xiang Yu faced a Qin force estimated at 400-500,000 troops. Xiang Yu's first act was to burn the boats that he had used to cross the river, signalling to his army that there was no retreat. Taking only three days supply of rations, Xiang Yu fought and defeated the Qin army of Wang Li and She Jian. Reeling from the losses, Zhang Han fled to Jiyuan, with the supply lines disrupted and in need of reinforcements. Zhang Han sent another subordinate general, Sima Xin to ask the Qin court for reinforcements. The request was refused by Zhao Gao on charges that Zhang Han was conspiring with the rebels. On his way back to Zhang Han, Sima Xin barely escaped assassins dispatched by Zhao Gao. Seeing no alternative, Zhang Han surrendered with Sima Xin and Dong Yi and 200,000 troops.

The result was Xiang Yu became the undisputed leader of the anti-Qin rebels, gathering tens of thousands of troops under his banner. Running low on supplies, Xiang Yu ordered the massacre of the 200,000 surrendered Qin troops. The trio of Zhang Han, Sima Xin and Dong Yi were awarded fiefs as the Kings of Yong, Sai and Zhai, respectively. Together, these three kingdoms were known as the Three Qins.
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby Korin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:39 am

Was Sun Tzu real? Simple question, so that's why I asked here.
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation