History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Unread postby Wo Long » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:39 am

Koichi wrote:
Ok, I wasn't sure where to ask this, so I'll make a thread. Anyway, of Guan Yu's sons, who got his Green Dragon? I thought it was Guan Xing, but I wasn't sure.

-Wo Long

I'm pretty sure it was Guan Xing. In the novel he recovered the halberd from Pan Zhang when he killed him while they were staying in the same house.

So...I guess my thread was locked/deleted? Anyway, thanks, I wanted to know because I wanted to make Guan Ping and Guan Xing in edit mode for DW: Empires. But I didn't know which one would get Green Dragon and which one would get Zhang Liao's guan dao.
Me Blog.
Restore the Ming Dynasty in Beijing!
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Early Spring and Autumn Period - China

Unread postby Sang » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:01 am

Hello,

I was wondering where I could find sources on info about early Spring and Autumn Period?
Gao Shun & Cheng Lian, you have my prayers!

Sun Tzu: “Knows thy enemy, knows thyself and victory is never in doubt, not in a hundred battles.”

Sun Tzu: “A vanquished state cannot be revived; the dead cannot be brought back to life.”
Sang
Changshi

Unread postby The_Golden_Strategist » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:59 pm

Try Wikipedia.
My name shall be writ in water.
The_Golden_Strategist
Student

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:19 am

So I'm watching this HBO series Rome, and in this latest episode it's "the fateful year 50 BC" and there's wrangling in the Senate. So I want to know, what was the Senate like, i.e. who got to be a senator?

In Rome it looks to be made up of about 300 toga-clad gents, and split into three parts, with one of the main characters prominent in each part. Cato the Younger seems to be the "leader" of one part; Mark Antony, who's just been elected "Tribune of the People", heads the part across from him (they don't like each other); and Cicero occupies the third part, in the middle between them. Pompey Magnus is also there, I guess as Consul he's president of the Senate. And there's also a very old guy with some kind of stick, who calls the Senate to order and tells people when they can speak.

Who is this old guy, and what is the meaning of the three groups (and is this depiction historically accurate)?

EDIT: I looked it up: the old guy is the flamen dialis, a high priest of Jupiter who serves as the Senate's "speaker of the House"
Last edited by Tigger of Kai on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Catalyst » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:41 am

Tigger of Kai wrote:So I'm watching this HBO series Rome, and in this latest episode it's "the fateful year 50 BC" there's wrangling in the Senate. So I want to know, what was the Senate like, i.e. who got to be a senator?

In Rome it looks to be made up of about 300 toga-clad gents, and split into three parts, with one of the main characters prominent in each part. Cato the Younger seems to be the "leader" of one part; Mark Antony, who's just been elected "Tribune of the People", heads the part across from him (they don't like each other); and Cicero occupies the third part, in the middle between them. Pompey Magnus is also there, I guess as Consul he's president of the Senate. And there's also a very old guy with some kind of stick, who calls the Senate to order and tells people when they can speak.

Who is this old guy, and what is the meaning of the three groups (and is this depiction historically accurate)?

I can't answer every question. I can only tell you about the groups. Each group is one more than likely (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) one of three "factions" or families in Rome. The factions traditionally sent their brightest politicians to the Senate, so as to hold a bit more power within Rome. This would also explain why the two do not like each other. They would be rivals.
Catalyst
Apostle of Peace

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Tue May 30, 2006 7:21 pm

Does anyone have any good websites about Chinese hairstyles throughout history, or anything related? I've already started to discover that it's not very easy to find stuff about this, so anything will be appreciated. Thanks.
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:39 pm

I've been busy, but . . .

Random, stupid question:

So, uh, about the year 580.

. . . Why didn't they rebuild Ye?
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby Elven Fury » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:35 pm

CaTigeReptile wrote:I've been busy, but . . .

Random, stupid question:

So, uh, about the year 580.

. . . Why didn't they rebuild Ye?

Don't know any solid answers, but I would guess that since it was razed to the ground by the Sui when they were establishing their kingdom for resisting their rise to power in the vacuum of the death of the Emperor, there would either be hesitation to rebuild a city that was a problem. Or they wanted to make it a point as to what would happen if they were defied.
The Sui are compared to the Qin in their brutality so I would personally think it was the second, thats the best way to keep fear in the peoples hearts to keep a firm grasp on their fledgling power.
Just my theory though.
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sang » Thu May 14, 2009 3:08 am

Does anyone know if there's a biography of Bao Zheng? He served during the Northern Song Dynasty. I've already read his biography in wikipedia but I heard that site can't be trusted fully. Other sites just have brief info of Bao Zheng.

Thanks in advance. :)
Gao Shun & Cheng Lian, you have my prayers!

Sun Tzu: “Knows thy enemy, knows thyself and victory is never in doubt, not in a hundred battles.”

Sun Tzu: “A vanquished state cannot be revived; the dead cannot be brought back to life.”
Sang
Changshi

Unread postby Mike » Thu May 14, 2009 6:47 am

Sang wrote:Does anyone know if there's a biography of Bao Zheng? He served during the Northern Song Dynasty. I've already read his biography in wikipedia but I heard that site can't be trusted fully. Other sites just have brief info of Bao Zheng.

Thanks in advance. :)

Here are two sites if you can read Chinese:
http://www.shuku.net:8080/novels/histor ... gtg36.html
http://www.greatchinese.net/famous/xian ... ozheng.htm
Bao Zheng has also written Xiaosu Baogong zou yi 孝肅包公奏議, which are a set of memorials (I believe) to the Emperor. The Wikipedia entry isn't bad for brief entry on Baogong. Hope those help. I can try and find some English sources later.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation