History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Unread postby Mike » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:12 am

But what is the cannon called?? Is it a Flak??

Edit: Never mind...it was a Flak

Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Duncan » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:24 am

I always thought that flak was just the term used by allied aircrew to describe anti-aircraft fire. Apparently not. Having Googled it:

FliegerAbwehrKanone. Literally means "Flier Defense Cannon."
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:42 am

Is mazzolato a real method of execution? The word is Italian for clubbed (more specifically with a mace), and is referred to in the Count of Monte Cristo as a particularly gruesome method of execution in which the person is beaten unconscious with a mace, their throat is slit, and the executioner stands on their chest so that blood spurts from their throat :( . Was this actually used, and if it was, are there any famous cases of it?
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:21 am

Hey, I was wondering how did Winston Churchill treated his people and/or soldiers?
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Unread postby Duncan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:29 am

Cloud Strife wrote:Hey, I was wondering how did Winston Churchill treated his people and/or soldiers?

His secretary said she was very fond of him. He occasionally had amazingly foul tempers and shouted at his staff, but they were because something had gone wrong. He has the reputation of treating his staff very well, in a slightly patronising, off-hand kind of way.

The navy thought he was wonderful because he fought their corner very hard when he was first lord of the admiralty (twice).

He did the typical walk-abouts in bombed out areas of London to cheering crowds, although it was generally stage managed for the photographs. There was some discontent because he wasn't able to protect London from the bombing, and it looked like the Germans were just about to invade. As soon as the pressure eased a bit, he was a hero.

My grandfather was in the desert when Churchill went out to visit Montgomery and the 8th army. He famously inspected a series of parades sticking two fingers up at all the troops (not a very polite gesture), until an adjutant quietly pointed out that he would do better turning his hand around to make the V for Victory sign, instead of gesturing something like "sod off" to the entire army. Apparently three generals and two brigadiers were too scared or awe-struck to tell him...

As the war came to a close, he was making noises about preparing for another war with Russia, which wasn't terribly popular having just finished an exhausting war with Germany. That is one of the principle reasons why he lost the election.
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Koichi » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:23 pm

Ok, I wasn't sure where to ask this, so I'll make a thread. Anyway, of Guan Yu's sons, who got his Green Dragon? I thought it was Guan Xing, but I wasn't sure.

-Wo Long

I'm pretty sure it was Guan Xing. In the novel he recovered the halberd from Pan Zhang when he killed him while they were staying in the same house.
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:22 am

The role Churchill played in the Sidney Street Siege was highly controversial at the time, and many, including former Prime Minister Arthur Balfour, accused him of having acted improperly. A famous photograph from the time shows Churchill peering around a corner to view events. Balfour asked, "He [Churchill] and a photographer were both risking valuable lives. I understand what the photographer was doing but what was the Right Honourable gentleman doing?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Street_Siege

Look at the picture where Churchill is highlighted. I don't understand this, why did Balfour say that about Churchill? I don't see Churchill doing anything wrong in this picture. Thanks.
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Unread postby Duncan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:43 pm

Remember he was the Home Secretary at the time. Imagine the furore if the Secretary of State for Defence chose to sit on the back of a tank as it rolls into battle in Iraq.

Firstly, if an important person like him is on the scene it is the responsibility of the police to protect him with their lives - at all costs. It would be very bad for the government and for the country if he were shot dead. In order for him to move closer to, or away from the scene depicted, it looks to me as if some of the police would have to move into the firing line to let him pass under cover of the buildings.

Secondly, it is not his job - he is not an action hero, nor the incident commander, he is a politician and possibly the most powerful government minister after the Prime Minister himself, responsible for a whole range of important stuff. He has forgotten his responsibilities to the nation for a bit of excitement that reminds him of his youthful adventures in South Africa.

Balfour was right.
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby urbanterrorist » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:48 am

I'm doing a project about Famous Jew who have impacted the world past and present.
Can you guys give me the games of some famous/influential Jew?

I have these guys already.
Jesus
Karl Marx
Adam Sandler
They miss the whisper that runs any day in your mind,
"Who are you really, wanderer?" and the answer you have to give
no matter how dark and cold the world around you is:
"Maybe I'm a king. -William Stafford
urbanterrorist
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby robbyjo » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:23 am

:mrgreen: