History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:33 am

Moogle wrote:1. Was William Wallace real, or was he just a myth?
2. What was the city of Constantinople's significance during the Holy Roman Empire?
3. Was Frederick Barbarossa's body really placed in a pickle cart?
4. Has anyone, to this day, ever found the location of Genghis Khan's burial site?

1.Yeah...Great hero over in Scotland.
2. Constantinople (Byzantium, Istanbul) was the capital of the Eastern Roman Empire and the Byzatine Empire.
3. Probably...pickling is a form of preservation.
4. I recall some people have found it, but I'm not sure.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sean » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:22 pm

Who was Su Jian? Not Sun Jian, but Su Jian.
All I know is that he lived during the Han Dynasty...and he was a Right General.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mike » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:14 am

K...I just need this question answered ASAP...

In Saving Private Ryan, the Germans bring in this sort of a howitzer like gun...this is nearing the end, after the Americans use the sticky bombs. I need to know what that gun is called. Thanks for your help guys!! :wink:
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Koichi » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:18 am

The Comic Book Hero wrote:K...I just need this question answered ASAP...

In Saving Private Ryan, the Germans bring in this sort of a howitzer like gun...this is nearing the end, after the Americans use the sticky bombs. I need to know what that gun is called. Thanks for your help guys!! :wink:

(scratches head) The Germans in the battle of Ramelle bridge (SPR) used Tiger and Panther tanks, 20 mm AA(flak) guns, vehicles that look like the old Marduk assault guns(the ones that had molotov cocktails dropped on them) , in addition to their infantry small arms (panzershreck bazookas). I'm not sure which howtizer-like guns you're referring to.
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:17 am

I think he's referring to the Marder tank-destroyer... There were two of those and two Tigers. No Panthers (according to the site I have below). In addition, yes, there is a 20mm FlaK gun. I quote:

Notably in use are Kettenkrads, Zündapp combos, a Demag personnel carrier, two Styers, an Opel Blitz, two converted Tatras (one belonging to the SBG), two Marders, two T-34s converted into Tiger Is and various other vehicles. The flak gun used in the film to shoot at the GIs on the Tiger tank is quite often used by the SBG at our public shows only this time it was fitted with a "Live" barrel . Another original single barrel flak gun is used as a static prop in the film and that is owned by the SBG.

This site contains info about the extras cast in Saving Private Ryan:

http://www3.mistral.co.uk/sbg1/film.htm

Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Mike » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:38 am

I don't think it was a Marder...it wasn't really mobile, but it reminded me of a cannon kinda. There were...three or so Germans manning it. I think they come in by the forest...Perhaps I mistook it for a Mg-42 of some sort.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Koichi » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:47 am

Yeah I thought it was strange but I could've sworn when Jackson was giving hand signals, Miller said," tiger tanks two, panther tanks two, infantry, 50 plus change..."

Did I say Marduk? Sigh I get these names mixed up... Yes the Marder is an older type of assault gun that weren't much good by 1944.
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sang » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:43 pm

Does anyone here, who can give me a history of Yau Yeung? He is mentioned during the end of Zhou Dynasty (during the Spring and Autumn period). After his lord was executed, he tried to avenge for his master death by assassinate Trieu Ba (Sorry, his name is translated into my language, and so I don't know that guy name in Chinese), three times but he (Yau Yeung) failed, and commited suicide at the bridge. Later on his wife made a grave stone at the bridge. Later, people called that Yau Yeung's Bridge. I just want to know if this is a true story. If it is, please do enlighten me about Yau Yeung. I really like to know more about him. How I know about him is through a movie called The Hitman Chronicles (It a series by the way).

Thanks.
Sang
Changshi

Unread postby Mike » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:33 pm

Ok...I'm 100% sure it's not a Marder. What happens is a group of Americans jump on top of the Panzer and chuck a grenade in it. Then the Germans bring out this gun that rips the Americans to shreds. Tom Hanks mentions it is a 20mm or something. So, was it a 20mm Flak or something??
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mistelten » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:08 am

20mm is the size of the round. 20mm is a very large round, capable of destroying the lighter armored vehicles. It's about the size that attack helos use.
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation