History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Unread postby Lu Wei » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:51 am

Not exactly, KingofWeiAndWu. They were called Immortals because their were ten thousand of them. Whenever one died, another man would be promoted.

They served as shock troops and bodyguards for the Emperor.
Lu Wei
Langzhong

Unread postby Book of Faith » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:08 am

KingofWei&Wu wrote:They were called immortals because there were so many of them that every time one of them was killed, it seemed that there was another right there in it's place. I'm pretty sure they had thick but crude armor and used short scimitars and were elite soldiers.

Their main weapon was actually a 7' spear, unless the soldier was in a deeper rank, in which case he was armed with a composite bow. Additionally, the front rank was armed with a wicker shield.

Really, what you were armed with depended on where you were in the unit, despite what some sculptures depict.
Book of Faith
Langzhong

Unread postby n06guy » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:45 am

What kind of weapons did the normal troops carry? simples spears and things along those sorts? Or did it depend on what contigent of troops they were part of?
n06guy
Assistant

Unread postby HieiTheDarknessDragon » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:31 pm

were the spears decorated, or were they just plain old spears out of the smithy? They are supposed to be an elite unit.
If i say it, I say it/ then i want it DONE. Cause im King of the Ages.

"Cutting down the enemies is the way of strategy, and there is not need for many refinments in it."
HieiTheDarknessDragon
Changshi

Location: Most likely in computer class, using the school comps to go on SoSZ, again.

Unread postby Book of Faith » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:36 pm

n06guy wrote:What kind of weapons did the normal troops carry? simples spears and things along those sorts? Or did it depend on what contigent of troops they were part of?

The standard infantrymen's weapons varied by what row they were in. The main infantry formation was usually ten men, in the front row were the sparabara(or "shield-bearers") , whom were armed with a shield(spara), spear, and in many cases, a composite bow(in some cases, the sparabara would prop their shields up, so that they would be free to fire their bows). The back nine ranks of the standard infantry were archers, much as they were with the Immortals. Standard infantrymen were clothed in quilted body armor.

There were other Persian infantry units as well, such as the takabara(armed with such weapons as hand axes, spears, and small shields, known as taka). Additionally, the Persians had Greek mercenaries and light skirmishers armed with bows, slings, and javelins to fill up their ranks and to provide support.
Last edited by Book of Faith on Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Book of Faith
Langzhong

Unread postby HieiTheDarknessDragon » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:39 pm

And these 10,000 Immortals flanked the Greek forces at Thermopolae by sneaking up behind them at night, and killing the remaining Spartans with their composit (Edit: typo) bows... correct?

Thanks for the info guys! :D
Last edited by HieiTheDarknessDragon on Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Cutting down the enemies is the way of strategy, and there is not need for many refinments in it."
HieiTheDarknessDragon
Changshi

Location: Most likely in computer class, using the school comps to go on SoSZ, again.

Unread postby Book of Faith » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:17 am

HieiTheDarknessDragon wrote:And these 10,000 Immortals flanked the Greek forces at Thermopolae by sneaking up behind them at night, and killing the remaining Spartans with their compound bows... correct?

Thanks for the info guys! :D

Yes, the Greek traitor Ephialtes gave the Persians a path to the back of the Greek Camp. After sending the Phocians back to their comardes with a barrage of missile fire, the Immortals were free to advance to the main Greek force.

Actually though, the Persians were using recurve or composite bows rather than compound bows.
Book of Faith
Langzhong

Unread postby HieiTheDarknessDragon » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:23 am

Thanks for the information, and I meant composit bows, it was a mistake that I put compound. They weren't around then... were they...

HieiTheDarknessDragon
Changshi

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:40 pm

Who was Scipio? I'm under the impression that he was a general that fought against Hannibal, but I'm not sure how I know that, or if it's even true. Anyone have any more information?
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Book of Faith » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:25 am

KingofWei&Wu wrote:Who was Scipio? I'm under the impression that he was a general that fought against Hannibal, but I'm not sure how I know that, or if it's even true. Anyone have any more information?

Generally, when someone mentions Scipio, they are referring to Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus(though his adopted grandson, Publius Cornelius Scipio Aemilianus, was also a great general), the Roman general famous for defeating the Carthaginian armies in Spain, and then defeating Hannibal in Africa(at the Battle of Zama). After the Second Punic war was over, he went on to fight in gaul and under his brother's command against Antiochus.

His success can be attributed to the tactical variations he was able to experiment with due to his well-trained legions.
Book of Faith
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation