History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Unread postby Aygor » Fri May 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Korin wrote:No, I believe anything that lives can be smart, as I let those religious people believe what they believe.

Believing things will not make them true.
A carrot isn't intelligent and neither is a tuna nor a cangaroo and so on.
This, by the way, has nothing to do with religion.
Korin wrote:Lol, even babies can be smart you know

Sure. Yet the average baby is stupid compared to the average adult.
Korin wrote:I can say that majority of human race is dumb because they are brainwashed by society/media.

I bet you are a part of the not brainwashed elite.
Korin wrote:But I don't because I believe all living things can be smart if they choose to.

Really? Get me a potato and a jellyfish who have choosen to be intelligent then. :roll:
Korin wrote:I also heard people say stuff like 'Creationism is a myth' but who cares, I mean I don't judge it any more because Alienism (I made it up because I don't know correct term) is like the extraterrestrial venison of Creationism LOL

So, you believe in "alienism" becouse you like it even though there is no reason or evidence whatsoever to do so.
And you don't judge creationism accordingly because "alienism is like the extraterrestial version of it".
Fine. You are wrong but it's fine.
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
User avatar
Aygor
Langzhong
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:02 am

What is the historical name of the period that follows the downfall of Rome? (The western part of the empire?)
English is not my mother tongue. I hope the comprehension isn't too hard.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:28 am

Re: History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Unread postby Aygor » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:24 pm

Tokugawa Liang wrote:What is the historical name of the period that follows the downfall of Rome? (The western part of the empire?)

Early Middle Ages, which start after the downfall of the Western Roman Empire with the foundation of the Roman-Barbarian kingdoms
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
User avatar
Aygor
Langzhong
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:29 am

Ok thanks!
English is not my mother tongue. I hope the comprehension isn't too hard.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:28 am

Re: History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Unread postby Jia Shengde » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:13 pm

I was wondering what happened at the battle(?) of Mayi, in Zhang Liang's Shiji biography only this was written about it:
"Zhang Liang accompanied the emperor in his attack on Dai and devised the unusual plan by which the city of Mayi was captured"

That got me curious, but I can't find anything on it, does anyone know what happened?
''Dreary, dank, and dimly lit. Truly a sanctuary to call home.''
User avatar
Jia Shengde
Initiate
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Unread postby Cao Chao » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:20 am

Jia Shengde wrote:I was wondering what happened at the battle(?) of Mayi, in Zhang Liang's Shiji biography only this was written about it:
"Zhang Liang accompanied the emperor in his attack on Dai and devised the unusual plan by which the city of Mayi was captured"

That got me curious, but I can't find anything on it, does anyone know what happened?

In this time period, the main incident involving Mayi was the rebellion of Chen Xi in the 10th Year of Gaozu's reign. This rebellion culminated with Zhou Bo capturing Mayi. It is unlikely that Zhang Liang participated in this event. Now, there was another incident in the area that involved a general incidentally also named Han Xin (known in the West as Prince Xin of Han, 韩信, note this individual was a descendant of the State of Han and is not related to the more famous Han Xin who was one of the three pillars who helped found the Han Dynasty). This Han Xin was enfoeffed as the Prince of Han (韩王, note different from Liu Bang's title). In the 6th Year of Gaozu's reign, Prince Xin of Han was moved from modern day Henan to modern day Shaanxi. He established his capital at Mayi. In the same year, he was attacked by the Xiongnu and his capital was besieged. At the same time that he dispatched messengers to request assistance from Liu Bang, Prince Xin of Han also began to parlay with the Xiongnu. Learning what happened, Liu Bang sent an imperial edict reprimanding Prince Xin of Han. In fear of retribution, Prince Xin of Han rebelled and allied with the Xiongnu. Liu Bang responded by leading an army north to attack him. In the subsequent campaign, Guan Ying (灌婴), one of Liu Bang's generals, quickly took back control of the lost territory, including Mayi, after the defenders quickly surrendered. Defeated, Han Xin defected to the Xiongnu. This swift surrender of the lost territory is likely what is referenced by Zhang Liang's Shiji biography.

In an interesting side note, this Han Xin also helped to foment the later Chen Xi Rebellion.
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
User avatar
Cao Chao
Langzhong
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:33 pm
Location: Whee?

Previous

Return to World History Deliberation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved

 
cron