History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:31 pm

Since SGYYS and LAP both have their own quick Q&A thread, I thought I'd start one in WH as well. This was prompted by a question that I was asked by someone from the forum:

I have been trying to learn about the ruler Han Aidi, I havn't been able to learn too much yet. Other then he was a gay emperor that didn't have an heir. He lover was Dong Xian. He had to have his cousin take over when he died, and eventually Wang Mang took over the Dynasty with this. I found out he was big on Matarital Arts. I was hoping you could give me some more information on him, or some reading soucres that I could look into.

Does anyone have some handy English info on Han Aidi? Thanks in advance.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Re: History Section: Quick Questions Thread

Unread postby Book of Faith » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:49 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Does anyone have some handy English info on Han Aidi? Thanks in advance.

Besides the said, I know that he died young, at the age of 26. The explanation for the young death was that Aidi had overexerted himself as a youth in his Martial Arts and Sports(this claim does have some base, as it is known that Aidi had partial paralysis).

There is also mention of Aidi in this thread on a Chinese History forum, which may be the best you'll find in English(the online encyclopedias pull up little more than Aidi's homsexuality and short reign): http://s7.invisionfree.com/China_Histor ... =231&st=15
Book of Faith
Langzhong

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:58 pm

If he's pre-Wang Mang, then he should most definately be mentioned in:

Pan Ku. The History of the Former Han Dynasty. Trans. Homer H. Dubs. 3 Vols. Baltimore: Waverly Press, 1955.

Actually, from looking at the table of contents for the third volume, all of chapter XI is devoted to the reign of Emperor Ai.

I would definately suggest asking if your library could find this book for you, because I'm not going to type out the whole chapter without being paid handsomely for it. :)
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Ghost_of_Han » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:20 pm

Well book of Faith, Lady Wu took that quote from me, because I was PMing her for some information on Han Aidi. I was just writing a quick and slightly incomlete story hoping she would go on it. I myself started the posting for Han aidi but still found the inforamtion lacking, for I am trying to get a syposis on Homosexuality in China. So if anyone has any information it would be more then wonderful.

Here's another artcile at CHF that is even more inforamtional

http://s7.invisionfree.com/China_Histor ... wtopic=613
Ghost_of_Han
Apprentice

Unread postby Book of Faith » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:40 pm

Ghost_of_Han wrote:Well book of Faith, Lady Wu took that quote from me, because I was PMing her for some information on Han Aidi. I was just writing a quick and slightly incomlete story hoping she would go on it. I myself started the posting for Han aidi but still found the inforamtion lacking, for I am trying to get a syposis on Homosexuality in China.

The trouble is that Aidi didn't have a very eventful reign in comparison to others, so you generally won't find as much info for him as you would for an emperor like Wudi. Yun might have something of use to you if you ask him specific questions on what you are looking for, but I doubt you'll find much else online for Aidi.
Last edited by Book of Faith on Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Book of Faith
Langzhong

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:51 pm

I just did a Google search on "Homosexuality in China" and it yielded a bunch of good results (I didn't have time to look to closely). The first hit was a book on the history of gays in China, which looks very interesting but which is unfortunately available in Chinese only. I'll let you know if I come across anything else specific.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Ghost_of_Han » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:17 am

There is a book called "Passions of the Cut Sleeve", and it was based on chiense Homosexulity. I am currnetly trying to locate the book.
Ghost_of_Han
Apprentice

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:20 pm

Does anyone know of any sources that discuss the Duke of Zhou? I am especially interested in print sources (not internet, bleh!) that give an overview of his historical period/context and, ideally, some kind of discussion of the formulation of the Mandate of Heaven.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby HieiTheDarknessDragon » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:01 am

Could you guys tell me a little about the Persian Immortals? I know about there involvement at Thermopolae but thats about it...
If i say it, I say it/ then i want it DONE. Cause im King of the Ages.

"Cutting down the enemies is the way of strategy, and there is not need for many refinments in it."
HieiTheDarknessDragon
Changshi

Location: Most likely in computer class, using the school comps to go on SoSZ, again.

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:25 am

HieiTheDarknessDragon wrote:Could you guys tell me a little about the Persian Immortals? I know about there involvement at Thermopolae but thats about it...

They were called immortals because there were so many of them that every time one of them was killed, it seemed that there was another right there in it's place. I'm pretty sure they had thick but crude armor and used short scimitars and were elite soldiers.
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to World History Deliberation