Guan Yu's surgery: Believable?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Guan Yu's surgery: Believable?

Unread postby Kuan P'ing » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:39 am

Is Guan Yu's surgery icident believable? Is it just made up jibberish? How would any other officer react in his position? PLease share your thoughts!
Kuan P'ing
Changshi

Unread postby Elven Fury » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:00 am

Well i believe that a well trained and battle hardened warrior could have gone through this, seeing he needed to raise belief among his men at his supreme prowess upon the battlefield and off... i belive he could have gone through this, seeing i unfortunatly know theres a point when cutting that the cut doubles with one cut, and thats when your close to the bone, it quits hurting after a while... as far as i know there are no nerves upon the surface of your bone so i think that he wouldnt have felt it too much... but then again it could be fake seeing its 70% fact and 30% fiction...
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:19 am

I find it difficult to believe that this actually occurred in the exact format the book mentions. Hua Tuo is scraping against his bone. Perhaps he underwent some kind of more minor surgery and stoically bore the pain, but it seems more like a piece of folklore intended enhance the image of Guan Yu as the stoic, prideful, courageous man of resolve.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Kuan P'ing » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:22 am

Because he did drink wine and play chess at the same time. That's a little out there.
Kuan P'ing
Changshi

Unread postby didier » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:48 am

I think one things for sure.

If anyone could do it, it'd be Guan Yu. He, unparalleled in discipline.
Guan Yu once said "I do not fear death, it is but my journey home". That comforts me for the distant future, but I want to stay and play Three Kingdoms games.
didier
Scholar

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:32 am

By the way, Hua Tuo invented Ma Fei San, an anesthetic, which in turn would have eased the pain. This could have possibly helped to make this part where Hua Tuo scrapes the poison off of a bone in Guan Yu more believable.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stedfel » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:24 am

Well, Guan Yu's Sanguozhi bio mentions it.

Guan Yu was once hit by a stray arrow on his left arm and although the wound had healed, the bone would still hurt badly especially during a rainy day. The doctor told him that, “The arrow tip had poison on it, and the poison had entered the bone. The remedy would be to open the arm and scrape away the poison, lest it becomes too problematic in the future”. Guan Yu promptly stretched out his arm and bid the doctor to cure his arm. During the surgery, Guan Yu was eating and drinking with his fellow officers whilst the blood flowed from his arm into a basin below. Throughout the process of treatment, Guan Yu drank wine and conversed and laughed as usual.

Thus I'm going to assume that it happened.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bryan » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:27 am

And that he was very drunk at the time as well...
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kuan P'ing » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:13 am

Hey any thing to help right?
Kuan P'ing
Changshi

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:08 am

Well i believe it could have happened, considering various people throughout history have been known to endure amazing amounts of pain inflicted.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium