Which officer was the best archer?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Xiahou Ji » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:14 am

I just want to add that "hitting the target 100 out of 100 times" is actually a Chinese expression for shooting incredibly well, it doesn't really mean Huang Zhong actually shot 100 times and succeeded (although there would be a very good chance that he could). The expression "hitting the target 100 out of 100 times" and the shooting leaves story is from the bio of Yang You Ji (養由基) during the Spring & Autumn Period (722-481 BC). The bio claimed that he could shoot a leaf a hundred steps away. Ironically, his cause of death was getting shot.

Anyway, in SGYY, the best archer I believe is Huang Zhong.
Then say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime;
let me lead you from your solitude.
Say you need me with you, here beside you,
anywhere you go, let me go too,
Christine, that's all I ask of you...
Xiahou Ji
Academic

Unread postby Huang Bob » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:41 am

Xiahou Ji wrote:The bio claimed that he could shoot a leaf a hundred steps away. Ironically, his cause of death was getting shot.

(Can't remember where I read it but..)Huang Zhong has been said to hit a falling leaf 100 times before it hit the ground. But in my Legends of the Warring States book, it says that Yang Youji shot a leaf 100 times and hit it 100 times from 100 paces away.

Because of the Leaf story with Huang Zhong, my vote goes to him.

The Taishi Ci story is the only story I know of that mentions him as an archer, and if the guy was holding on to a pillar, chances are the hand isn't moving. We also have to take in account how far away Taishi Ci was. If he was at the base of the wall, I wouldn't call that spectacular.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:45 am

Two candidates that deserve mention:

Wei Yan: He knocked out two of Cao Cao's front teeth with one shot. (Teeheehee, maybe I should write a Cao Cao version of "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" next Christmas :P)

Shamo Ke: In his first appearance in the novel, he shot Gan Ning right through the skull. :cry:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Big J » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:53 pm

I have read that Huang Gai is a good archer, but i dont know if he has made such feats.
Big J
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Ji » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:25 am

Meng Da was pretty good too, he shot Xu Huang right at the forehead.
Then say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime;
let me lead you from your solitude.
Say you need me with you, here beside you,
anywhere you go, let me go too,
Christine, that's all I ask of you...
Xiahou Ji
Academic

Unread postby SixWingGryffin » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:27 am

I don't know if he's been mentioned yet, but what about Gan Ning? He killed Ling Cao with an arrow, and hit Yue Jin in the face, a move that saved Ling Tong, ironically enough.
If you want an enjoyable roleplaying experience, try Si Guo Saga! Regardless of experience level, we'd love to see you there! A great place to try roleplaying for the first time.
SixWingGryffin
Sage

Location: Gamblin' in Havana, I took a little risk. Send lawyers, guns, and money, and get me outta this!

Unread postby Xiahou Mengde88 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:08 am

Most people would say Huang Zhong is the best, just for the fact that most people say that Huang Zhong is the best.

There are plenty of good archers, so I'll just go through some of the archery feats I can think of off the top of my head.

Lu Bu - He hit the head of his halberd from 150 paces.

Zhang Liao - Shot Huang Gai in the shoulder at Chi Bi. (It said it was at close range, but it's got to be one hell of a shot, when you are sailing away on a boat, on water that is probably filled with waves, and you are supposed to be sailing at the same time.

Cao Xiu, Wen Ping, Cao Hong, Zhang He, Xiahou Yuan, Xu Huang, Xu Zhu(Chu) - All hit a bull's eye from 100 paces, while on horseback, in a competition on the Bronze Bird Tower. (I remembered this off the top of my head, but I had to look up some of the names.)

Wei Yan - Shot Cao Cao in the lip when he was escaping on horseback from Chang An.

Pang De - He swung around in a 180 degree spin on horseback, and shot the Great Guan Yu in the shoulder after feinting defeat in a duel with Yu.
Charlie Murphy: "Prince, you got any towels; It's hot out here!"
Dave Chappelle (as Prince): "Well, why don't you purify yourself in the waters..of Lake Minitanka?"
Xiahou Mengde88
Master

Re: Which officer was the best archer?

Unread postby diegroup » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:05 pm

Lu Bu
Huang Zhong
Taishi Ci
diegroup
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:13 am

Lu Bu jumps out to me for his historical achievement (I think?) of shooting his halberd to convince Yuan Shu's army to retreat!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Yes that was one was historical
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium