Would Tashi Ci have fought Liu Bei at Yi Ling? (Novel)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Would Tashi Ci have fought Liu Bei at Yi Ling? (Novel)

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:35 pm

As you know, in the Novel Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei had helped Tashi Ci and Kong Rong with the Yellow Turban. So, do you think Tashi Ci would of refuse to fight Liu Bei at Yi Ling because he had gotten help from him? Do you think Tashi Ci would have given information to Liu Bei or probably defect to Shu?
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Re: Would Tashi Ci have foughten Liu Bei at Yi Ling? (Novel)

Unread postby Stedfel » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:07 pm

Cloud Strife wrote:As you know, in the Novel Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei had helped Tashi Ci and Kong Rong with the Yellow Turban. So, do you think Tashi Ci would of refuse to fight Liu Bei at Yi Ling because he had gotten help from him? Do you think Tashi Ci would have given information to Liu Bei or probably defect to Shu?

Taishi Ci was the kind of man who striked me as extremely loyal, novel-wise. I don't believe he would have defected to Shu, I seriously doubt he would have defected to anyone.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby dengai » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:47 pm

I doubt he would submit to Shu, he would probably fake illness to avoid any combats with Liu BEI
I don't see a point in this, everyone can copy it.
dengai
Assistant

Location: Pulled by a dark abyss in space, unable to break free...

Unread postby harshbarge » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:14 pm

I doubt he would fake illness he was incredibly devoted to wu and would fight for them.
You've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life
harshbarge
Master

Unread postby Kuan P'ing » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:34 am

Taishi Ci was super loyal. He even said that when he died. If Sun Quan gave him troops and an edict to fight Liu Bei, he would at least go out and attempt to. Whether or not he would've catpured and killed Liu Bei is hard to say.
Kuan P'ing
Changshi

Unread postby White Horse General » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:02 am

If he lived that long he would have been in service to Wu for quite a few years. I doubt he'd let one moment of cooperation in the past shatter his loyalty.
Sings we a dance of wolves;
Who smell fear and slay a coward.
Sings we a dance of man;
Who smells gold and slays his brother.
White Horse General
Master

Unread postby Shield of Rohan » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:01 pm

I have a feeling he would have been smart like Zhao Yun and Zhuge Liang and refused to fight in the Wu-Shu conflict. Taishi Ci was a man who valued respect and honor, just like Guan Yu (with Cao Cao at Hua Rong). I doubt he would have fought.
"I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded, what others do only from fear of the law." -Aristotle
Shield of Rohan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sima Hui » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:10 pm

Liu Bei fought with Yuan Shao at Hulaoguan, but fought against him during the Yuan Shao and Gongsun Zan conflict. Cao Cao was a great friend of Yuan Shao, but they fought each other. Cao Cao called Liu Bei his brother, but they became mortal enemies. Liu Bei and Sun Quan were brothers-in-law, but Liu Bei tried to tear Wu apart. Xu Huang and Guan Yu were the closest friends, but Xu Huang said he would give one thousand gold coins to the killer of Guan Yu. Taishi Ci rated loyalty above honour and would have fought Liu Bei if he was still alive. One moment of friendship would not count thirty years later during a war between his lord and Liu Bei. Helping him or defecting would be out of the question. Taishi Ci would have died ten thousand times before doing something like that.
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Wizardman » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:23 pm

Shield of Rohan wrote:I have a feeling he would have been smart like Zhao Yun and Zhuge Liang and refused to fight in the Wu-Shu conflict. Taishi Ci was a man who valued respect and honor, just like Guan Yu (with Cao Cao at Hua Rong). I doubt he would have fought.

I'd go with this answer. Taishi wsa extremely loyal, yes. Which means he would never defect to Shu. However, his loyalty could also come out in Liu Bei as well, as they were allies. There's a good chance he would've not fought Liu Bei. He would either stay out of Yi Ling completely, or beg for a different flank to avoid him.
Huang Zhong: Are you calling me old?!
Wei Yan: ...Yes.
Huang Zhong: Liu Bei! I demand you kill him!
Liu Bei: Well it's... true...
Wizardman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby harshbarge » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:11 pm

I think it would go against his values to fake sick just to not fight
You've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life
harshbarge
Master

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium