A duel

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: ...

Unread postby Stedfel » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:05 am

Kuan P'ing wrote:So killing an officer in three bouts would be extremely impressive, but fighting 100 bouts would be like even?

Depends. If you were fighting Lu Bu and killed him in 3 bouts would be extremely impressive, on the other hand, if you were fighting Wang Lang and killed him in 3 bouts, it would be more like, "Hey, you killed Wang Lang, good job!" and that would be the end of it. Now onto 100. Using differint and same comparisons, say you defeat Zhang Fei in 100 bouts, you would be cheered, recieve a reward, promoted, and such. If you killed Wang Land in 100 bouts, you'd be laughed off the field.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby White Horse General » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:52 pm

Stedfel wrote:
Kuan P'ing wrote:So killing an officer in three bouts would be extremely impressive, but fighting 100 bouts would be like even?

Depends. If you were fighting Lu Bu and killed him in 3 bouts would be extremely impressive, on the other hand, if you were fighting Wang Lang and killed him in 3 bouts, it would be more like, "Hey, you killed Wang Lang, good job!" and that would be the end of it. Now onto 100. Using differint and same comparisons, say you defeat Zhang Fei in 100 bouts, you would be cheered, recieve a reward, promoted, and such. If you killed Wang Land in 100 bouts, you'd be laughed off the field.

I may be wrong, but I hear Wang Lang has a mean left hook, rivaled only by Mother Dong :lol:

To kill Lu Bu in three bouts would be simply shocking, I doubt anyone would believe it right off even if they saw it happen.
Sings we a dance of wolves;
Who smell fear and slay a coward.
Sings we a dance of man;
Who smells gold and slays his brother.
White Horse General
Master

Unread postby Stedfel » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:35 pm

White Horse General wrote:
Stedfel wrote:

I may be wrong, but I hear Wang Lang has a mean left hook, rivaled only by Mother Dong :lol:

To kill Lu Bu in three bouts would be simply shocking, I doubt anyone would believe it right off even if they saw it happen.

Yes, Mother Dong was quite fearsome. :lol:

I was just using it as an example, using two characters known for there physical prowess, and a man who was shamed to death.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kuan P'ing » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:13 am

To kill Lu Bu in three bouts would be simply shocking, I doubt anyone would believe it right off even if they saw it happen.[/quote]

Yeah they'd be like "he's faking it" or "Are you sure that's Lu Bu?" :lol: :lol:
Kuan P'ing
Changshi

Unread postby Stedfel » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:14 am

Kuan P'ing wrote:

Yeah they'd be like "he's faking it" or "Are you sure that's Lu Bu?" :lol: :lol:

God, I'm just using it as an example. Can't you people understand an example?
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:28 am

To those who think duels are useless, they actually served purpose. Remember that the armies of 3k were mainly peasant soldiers and the level of trainig depended on their officers, so troops tended to be poorly trained. So the one force that drove a army was morale. Duels could gain or lose morale and be a decisive factor in winning battles.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby White Horse General » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:39 pm

Stedfel wrote:
Kuan P'ing wrote:

God, I'm just using it as an example. Can't you people understand an example?

:lol: we understand you were just making an example. We're just having some fun with it is all :D
Sings we a dance of wolves;
Who smell fear and slay a coward.
Sings we a dance of man;
Who smells gold and slays his brother.
White Horse General
Master

Unread postby Sima Hui » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:25 pm

Stedfel wrote:

On the other hand, if you were fighting Wang Lang and killed him in 3 bouts, it would be more like, "Hey, you killed Wang Lang, good job!" and that would be the end of it. If you killed Wang Land in 100 bouts, you'd be laughed off the field.

Actually, in the novel, Wang Lang personally fought Sun Ce for several bouts without a winner. He was a good fighter and only broke off when an ambush occurred. So killing Wang Lang would be fairly hard. :wink:
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Stedfel » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:35 pm

Sima Hui wrote:
Stedfel wrote:

On the other hand, if you were fighting Wang Lang and killed him in 3 bouts, it would be more like, "Hey, you killed Wang Lang, good job!" and that would be the end of it. If you killed Wang Land in 100 bouts, you'd be laughed off the field.

Actually, in the novel, Wang Lang personally fought Sun Ce for several bouts without a winner. He was a good fighter and only broke off when an ambush occurred. So killing Wang Lang would be fairly hard. :wink:

Okay, that is oddly surprising, and I don't remember that. Let's say you killed old Wang Lang in three bouts then. There, I think that evens it up more.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kuan P'ing » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:15 am

Kong Wen wrote:Sometimes the officers didn't "pass". They weren't at a gallop/trot the whole time. Sometimes they would clash side-by-side (with horses kissing, as someone hilariously pointed out) and do some stabbing actions. I believe that each time the weapons clashed (i.e. an attack and parry combo) would be counted as a "bout" or "round".

Why wouldn't the officer just parry an attack, or wait for an opportunity, and kill the horse?
Kuan P'ing
Changshi

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium