In Lu Meng's Shoes

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

What Would You Have Done?

Execute Guan Yu.
38%
Arrest and Capture Guan Yu.
24%
Let Guan Yu Go.
38%

Total votes : 21

In Lu Meng's Shoes

Unread postby Zhao Yun of Changshan » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:50 am

This is perhaps one of the most hardest questions for me to answer... If I was in Lu Meng's shoes with Guan Yu defeated before me what would I do??? Would I execute him, arrest him, or let him go? If I executed him it would be the end of a great warrior but I would also be doing it for the best interest of my country. :cry: If I arrested him, it would also be for my country and the warrior would live but he would probably not live a very good life considering he would be a captive. :? If I let him go, it would mean allowing an honorable person live however it might be viewed as betrayal to my lord and country. :( What would I do??? :?: What would you do :?:
"None dare to engage the warrior at Dangyang....."
Zhao Yun of Changshan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Let him go

Unread postby ZhangBaihu » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:05 am

In the hopes of rising as a hero of the age, one must obey the precedents of the foremost hero at the time. When Guan Yu released Cao Cao at Huarong Valley, he set a moral example none could seemingly match. Despite failing to achieve his military/policy goals in his lifetime, he is remembered more fondly than any other person from his age.

If Lu Meng could have become a paragon of virtue, a 'southern Guan Yu' if you will, he would have been of immesurable value to Wu. A moral mascot to attract the gallants of the land to Sun Quan's cause, which would have been more valuable in the long run than killing a dangerous enemy and inviting the irreconcilable wrath of Liu Bei and Zhang Fei of Shu.
ZhangBaihu
Initiate

Unread postby Devilrai » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:30 am

I would let him go, he may return Lu Meng a favor when he is in a jam, thats what happened to Cao Cao, that is if Guan Yu is still virtuous though Zhuge Liang may not pardon him a second time around.
Devilrai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:50 pm

Take him prisoner.

Releasing him would simply mean that you'll have a pissed off Guan Yu at the head of the army coming back into Jing which is NOT good.
It's either execute or take prisoner,the political damage has already been done by simply attacking Jing.

Better to keep him prisoner where he can be used as a bargaining tool with either Liu Bei or Cao Cao.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Po Hsing » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:05 pm

Take him prisoner.

There is really no reason to execute him so quickly. Why rush into such a important decision.

You could always hold him prisoner and try to get something out of it. If he is of no further value, then you could always execute him later at any time, or alternatively, let him go.
Po Hsing
Initiate

Unread postby Homunculus » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:15 pm

I think Guan Yu is worthy enough for me to spare his life. I would arrest him and put him in custody of my current leader. Have justice judge him rather than death.
Homunculus
Student

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:36 am

nowadays, especially knowing what we do, I would take him prison, but back then in Lu Meng's shoes, I still would have probably had him executed, because he was a great general, but was very loyal and wouldn't submit and if let go would contimue to be a threat, and that's what they did back then :twisted:
but, BMS makes a very good point. remember what happened with Cao Cao... :oops:
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lu Wei » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:27 am

Hold him prisoner and use him as a bargaining chip with which to buy peace from Shu.
Lu Wei
Langzhong

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:50 am

I'm gonna have to say kill Guan Yu after thinking about it. Mainly cuse taking him prisoner almost puts Lu Meng in a position where he is going to be attacked anyway. Let Guan Yu live as a prisoner, your keeping your enemy alive and killing all hopes of a Wu-Shu alliance. Hand him over as bargaining chip, no way, like Liu Bei is going to keep his word after Guan Yu is released. Rather i'd kill him. Besides remember that Jing was pacified fairly peacefully, with the soldiers who served Shu alive and free in Jingzhou. Theres every chance that rumors of Guan Yu being alive in Jingzhou may spark a khoo by some sympathetic officers still loyal to Guan Yu. Best to kill him, end all bonds of loyalty in Jingzhou and risk a war with Liu Bei which was most likely gonna end up in Wu's favour.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:29 pm

Ah! :o what about delivering him to Cao Cao (alive) with an alliance proposition, have him do with him what he will, (aw, crap, Cao Cao never really seemed that honourable, but he might let him go, altho, he still might be angry at him for leaving his camp and killing his gate patrols, man, I got myself in a twist) okay, I don't know what Cao Cao would do with him, but it still takes the blame off of Wu, unless he personally returns him to Shu, and then there's a Shu-Wei alliance, wow, this sucks. (if Guan Yu agreed to serve in his army, he would probably release him, but if not he would probably kill him) I think I got a mild case of MPD :shock: :lol:
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium