Saving Liu Chan, an act of heroism, or a mistake...

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Good or Bad

Poll ended at Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:22 am

Good
60%
Bad
40%

Total votes : 87

Saving Liu Chan, an act of heroism, or a mistake...

Unread postby Da_Chicago_Jigalo » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:22 am

When Zhao Yun saved Liu Chan, was he doing a good thing. I mean, Liu Chan basically brought the downfall of Shu. If u ask me, Liu Feng would have made a much better Emperor. But even though Liu Feng was killed, someone would have been better than Liu Chan.

What I ask is, was it a good thing that Zhao Yun saved Liu Chan, or a bad thing?
Yo.....
Da_Chicago_Jigalo
Langzhong

God bless Zhao Yun

Unread postby Waking Dragon » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:05 am

God bless Zhao Yun for what he had done for his lord...Dashing through enemy lines to save his young lord Liu Chan...Zhao Yun's bravery was truly unequalled...Yes, i understand Jigalo...Liu Chan was one of the major factors of Shu's downfall, I agree...but the fact that Zhao Yun was Ok at da end, it didn't matter that much...I see wat ur sayin though...very good question...guess it's the fact that no one knew that Liu Chan would be raised to be a fool...
"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water." r.i.p legend...

Bruce Lee
Waking Dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhao Yun of Changshan » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:12 am

No one can tell what the future will bring. Zhao Yun was focusing on the 'now' event which was simply saving Lui Chan. I'm sure the thought of Lui Chan becomming a horrible ruler never even crossed his mind while he was combating hordes of enemies in order to save the little suckling.
"None dare to engage the warrior at Dangyang....."
Zhao Yun of Changshan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:54 pm

Act of bravery.
Zhao Yun isn't Guan Lu or Zuo Ci,he couldn't know that Liu Shan would be an indifferent ruler.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:54 pm

I don't see how it could be considered a "mistake" to rescue your liege's son from doom. That is nothing less than an act of duty (and bravery, depending on the circumstances--as in this case).

Just because Liu Shan didn't turn out so well doesn't mean Zhao Yun had anything to do with it or knew anything about it.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby harshbarge » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:18 pm

saying that zhao yun shouldnt have saved liu chan is like saying Dian Wei shouldnt have saved Cao Cao because his descendants were terrible
You've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life
harshbarge
Master

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:04 pm

Kong Wen wrote:I don't see how it could be considered a "mistake" to rescue your liege's son from doom. That is nothing less than an act of duty (and bravery, depending on the circumstances--as in this case).

Just because Liu Shan didn't turn out so well doesn't mean Zhao Yun had anything to do with it or knew anything about it.

yes, it's not like he saw the future and plotted a big conspiracy leading to the downfall of the Shu. :lol:
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Pi » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:16 pm

Although i don't like Liu Shan i don't blame Shu Han's downfall on him alone. Many people forget that Huang Hao is just as guilty as Liu Shan if not more so. Zhao Yun did the right thing at Chang Ban, it also makes Wu-ists and Wei-ists jealous :D.
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one." - James A. Froude
Liu Pi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:19 pm

Liu Pi wrote:Although i don't like Liu Shan i don't blame Shu Han's downfall on him alone. Many people forget that Huang Hao is just as guilty as Liu Shan if not more so. Zhao Yun did the right thing at Chang Ban, it also makes Wu-ists and Wei-ists jealous :D.

jealous of what? :?:
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shield of Rohan » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:11 pm

Jealous that none of your generals ran though enemy lines to rescue an infant :P . No really, Zhao Yun did the right and heroic thing, and who could have guessed it probably would have been better to run with Liu Bei and forget the kid.
"I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded, what others do only from fear of the law." -Aristotle
Shield of Rohan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium