What if... [Lu Bu had lived/served Shu]?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

What if... [Lu Bu had lived/served Shu]?

Unread postby Waking Dragon » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:48 pm

:roll: Haven't you ever wondered why? Lu Bu's death was a true waste for such a talented warrior. I'm not saying that Cao Cao had done the wrong thing to execute Lu Bu, it was actually the best thing to do due to Lu Bu's past betrayals. What I am trying to say is...What if Lu Bu were not to be evil from the beginning? He was one of the greatest warriors of their time, hell he was the greatest warrior of their time. What if Lu Bu did not betray anyone? What kingdom would Lu Bu have served if he hadn't been evil? Lu Bu was a magnificent warrior, due to his strength and skills. I guess his desire for "betrayal" had led to his downfall. :roll:

:roll: Lol...What if Lu Bu were to have been serving Shu? Oh man...that would've been sweet...but it didn't happen of course... :roll:
"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water." r.i.p legend...

Bruce Lee
Waking Dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Marx!_II » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:05 pm

This isn't really answering your question, but it occurs to me that towards the beginning of the book, Lu Bu is a perfectly filial and loyal warrior, and only after the manipulative folk have their say does he become the arrogant and treacherous warlord we all know and love. Food for thought.
Marx!_II
Changshi

Unread postby Wu Chun » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:23 pm

Lu Bu betrayed ding yuan because he is easily persuaded, same as the betryal of dong Zhou. Maybe Lu Bu could have been smarter. If Lu Bu stayed with Ding Yuan, he would have still been lost to Dong Zhou. he would have been captured and killed if he did not join him. then you are asking what if he did not betray dong zhou? He would probably would have been betrayed by someone,or somthing would have went wrong, if not he would take the west easily and fortify his lands. he could have done alot more damage if he was not slain.
The rise and fall of an empire can be won by many soldiers, or just one woman

Know thy enemy and know thy self

Man who go in airport sideway will go to bangkok
Come to my banquet! it will be fun!
Wu Chun
Academic

Unread postby Lu Wei » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:42 pm

On the contrary, Marx, Lü Bu was acting perfectly traitorous when he killed Ding Yuan and went over to Dong Zhuo.
His killing of Dong Zhuo was not due to any sort of righteousness, but only because of a simple maiden. After this, Lü Bu acted like a complete idiot, bringing down great men with him for his own stupidity (Chen Gong, Gao Shun, and almost Zhang Liao).

With great power comes great responsibility, and Lü Bu showed none.
Lu Wei
Langzhong

Unread postby Devilrai » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:23 pm

There is not much I can say about this guy, he was overrated like I have said many times and he was destined to die, his past betrayals just ended his life even shorter. Lu BU could not manage his own kingdom, but if he were to serve anyone, I think not...if he was smarter? No way.

Lu Bu serving Shu? That could have been likely only if he didn't take Xia Pi from Liu Bei when he was away, if he didn't there may have been a chance but a slim chance.

But I do think he would be one of the greatest warriors if he did stay in the "good" path.
Devilrai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shield of Rohan » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:29 pm

A good Lu Bu sounds like Ma Chao to me. Indeed, many comparisons between the two can be made, except for their character (Ma Chao was more interested in justice and honor, Lu Bu was interesting in killing, but both were ferocious warriors and mighty generals). Had Lu Bu good at the beginning, I suspect Dong would have never risen to influence, at least not for as long as he did. I don't know where he and Ding Yuan would have gone from there though...

Had he turned good, say after he was beaten at Dingtao, he would have joined up Liu Bei in Xu. I wonder where that would have gone :) ...
"I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded, what others do only from fear of the law." -Aristotle
Shield of Rohan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iain » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:32 am

Everyone there already is a "What If?" Thread here.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:06 am

As long as this particular thread sticks to a discussion of what would have happened if Lu Bu had joined Shu, I see no reason to relegate it to a general what-if discussion thread, where a potentially interesting conversation could get flooded out.

Waking Dragon, I am editing your topic title to give members a better idea of what the thread is about.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:29 pm

I think Lu Bu works alone :? he get his butt kicked by Cao Cao's General they gangbang him!!! 6v1!!!! I don't think Lu Bu was really smart either, he was like a Zhang fei with more power if he joined Shu... Hmmmmmm maybe he will scare off enemies? like they will say " oo look.... it is .... Lu... Bu..!" i know i got it from the game Dynasty warrior 3 lol when Lu Bu won Yuan Shu :P
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Marx!_II » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:37 pm

Lu Wei wrote:On the contrary, Marx, Lü Bu was acting perfectly traitorous when he killed Ding Yuan and went over to Dong Zhuo.
His killing of Dong Zhuo was not due to any sort of righteousness, but only because of a simple maiden. After this, Lü Bu acted like a complete idiot, bringing down great men with him for his own stupidity (Chen Gong, Gao Shun, and almost Zhang Liao).

With great power comes great responsibility, and Lü Bu showed none.

My mistake, I was being to vague. I ment that Lu Bu was loyal and such before Li Su's visit. Saying he can do no better than Ding Yuan, calling his talents meager, etc. The book never goes into any sort of detail regarding his life beforehand, but if he had done something traitorous, I imagine it would have been added to emphasize what a turncoat he was. His weakness, I was saying, was his ability to be swayed by most anyone.
Marx!_II
Changshi

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium