If you were Ling Tong...

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: If you were Ling Tong...

Unread postby Human5 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:33 am

I would like to say no, but if this was a reality to me, I would most definitely try to kill Gan Ning.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:54 am

Given the fact that there are too many factors surrounding it all, who can really say what they would or wouldn't do. Granted we live in a time where we know what happened. I'd say unless we lived the experience we may be just throwing our thoughts to the wind; especially, since those people weren't assessing their own behaviors 1,800 years later.

TooMuchBaijiu wrote:and would probably attempt some lesser form of revenge. Honestly, I could see myself trying to hit on the guy's wife.

You may end up joining Ling Cao doing that. :lol: It be easier to leave him to die on the battlefield at the most opportune time. But then again, wasn't that the scene in which how Gan Ning won over Ling Tong? Fighting alongside each other and saving his life?

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:14 am

I would totally kill Gan Ning.

I don't need justification, I'll just kill him, then plead insanity and retire like Zhu Huan did.

It will satisfy my hunger for bloodshed! Then I'll rob his wealth, and mate with his females! In time.. all would be forgotten..
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:04 pm

I would kill Gan Ning. He was blood thirsty, petty and cruel. Serving along side him would be far too painful. Kill him, then defect to Wei or Shu, or retreat down through Jiao province and leave a black mark in the history books.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Yep, id kill Gan Ning, in any way possible..... I wouldn't defect though, though i might chop down Sun Quan if he tries to stop me.
THat, or after killing Gan Ning i'd go live in the steppes with the Mongolians!
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:41 pm

Gan Ning killed Ling Tong's father in battle, as an enemy. Now he is an ally. I'd not kill him, but wouldn't make it easy for him, as in ignore his opinion, until he saves me.
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby GuoBia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:20 am

Hey guys, but what would old Daddy have wanted- his son to become an exiled rankless criminal?
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:08 am

If it meant upholding my honour and avenging the grief I felt at his death, then yes. And I'm about 80% percent sure my father wouldn't mind so long as I was happy with my choice. And I think I would be.

People who say revenge isn't the answer have never needed to avenge anything, and therefore they can't relate. Plus, Gan Ning was a general of lesser talent that most, like Huang Gai, Ling Tong, Zhu Ran, and Zhu Huan. Zhou Yu and Lu Xun were both superior thinkers to him as well. His death would be nothing.

Finally, he was a pretty cruel bastard. I mean, he killed for the fun of it. So what if he was a pirate? Zhou Tai managed fine and was a far better man.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:58 am

At least create a plot first. Pretend to get drunk, then kill him as if possessed. The charges will be less (I think).
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Sun Quan was pretty wild, even if he was extremely clever. I wouldn't count on the sentence being too light.

In history, Quan just banished Ning from the capital I believe or something like that to appease Ling Tong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium