If you were Ling Tong...

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

If you were Ling Tong...

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:26 pm

If you were Ling Tong, would you have killed Gan Ning? Just pretend that Gan Ning didn't save Ling Tong later and think about the simple fact that he killed your father. Do you you kill him and avenge your father, or do you forgive him for the sake of your ruler? Remember that he was one of Sun Quan's most trusted generals.

I would still kill Gan Ning. A father-son relationship should mean more than hurting your lords feelings. Gan Ning would have had to die and then I would make up for it later by performing well in battles.
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Unread postby Pang Shiyuan » Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:07 pm

I would've killed Gan Ning. IMO, a father-son far precedes the comradeship between best mates (like Ling Tong and Gan Ning ended up with in SGYY).
Pang Shiyuan
凤雏先生

Unread postby Cao Ren » Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:18 pm

i also would have killed him, he took away what appeared to be his most loved person
Cao Ren
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dennis » Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:36 am

I wouldn't have.

Knowing that I was less important to Wu than Gan Ning, I would basically be signing my own death warrant.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby LittleConqueror » Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:43 am

I would have. Sure, I might be killed after killing Gan Ning, but at least I would have avenge my father's death.
"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"
LittleConqueror
Scholar

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:26 am

I most definitely would have killed him, depending on what type of relationship I had with my father. If it was the same as I have with my father now, I'd say good job to Gan Ning and be his best friend right there...but if he was a good father, I would definitely have to avenge him, Sun Quan or no Sun Quan.
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Cao Ren » Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:27 pm

I wouldn't have.

Knowing that I was less important to Wu than Gan Ning, I would basically be signing my own death warrant.

It would depend when you kill him. In the book Ling Tong tried to kill him when he had just joined Wu. Eveyone was unsure of his abilities. I would have made an opportunity for myself to kill him right when he joined.
Cao Ren
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dennis » Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:36 pm

"There was nothing to be said, and Huang Zu turned his horse to escape. But Gan Ning thrust aside his troops and himself rode in pursuit. Then he heard a shouting in his rear and saw General Cheng Pu coming up. Fearing lest this other pursuer should overpass him and score the success he desired for himself, Gan Ning fitted an arrow to his bow and shot at the fugitive. Huang Zu was hit and fell from his steed. Then Gan Ning cut off his head. After this, joining himself to Cheng Pu, the two returned bearing the ghastly trophy to their lord. Sun Quan ordered them to place it in a box to be taken back home and offered as a sacrifice to the manes of his father.

Having rewarded the soldiers for the victory and promoted Gan Ning, Sun Quan next discussed the advisability of sending a force to hold Jiangxia."

- SGYY

Now Gan Ning already having been promoted before the banquet, and Ling Tong being a nothing at this point dictates in at least my mind, Wu valued him enough for me to put aside my personal grudges and let bygones be bygones.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Wen Choung » Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:09 pm

I think the most "appropriate" thing to do considering the times would have been to kill Gan Ning, whther or not my ruler condoned it. Besides, I think that even if I Ling Tong did kill Gan Ning, Sun Quan would have more likely demoted him because of his past family services.
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:26 pm

Zhou Lide wrote:"There was nothing to be said, and Huang Zu turned his horse to escape. But Gan Ning thrust aside his troops and himself rode in pursuit. Then he heard a shouting in his rear and saw General Cheng Pu coming up. Fearing lest this other pursuer should overpass him and score the success he desired for himself, Gan Ning fitted an arrow to his bow and shot at the fugitive. Huang Zu was hit and fell from his steed. Then Gan Ning cut off his head. After this, joining himself to Cheng Pu, the two returned bearing the ghastly trophy to their lord. Sun Quan ordered them to place it in a box to be taken back home and offered as a sacrifice to the manes of his father.

Having rewarded the soldiers for the victory and promoted Gan Ning, Sun Quan next discussed the advisability of sending a force to hold Jiangxia."

- SGYY

Now Gan Ning already having been promoted before the banquet, and Ling Tong being a nothing at this point dictates in at least my mind, Wu valued him enough for me to put aside my personal grudges and let bygones be bygones.

I don't think it matters if Gan Ning was a high ranking officer or not. The man killed your father and destroyed a relationship that should mean more to you than anything. Ling Tong should have slaughtered Gan Ning and if Sun Quan didn't like it, too bad. I wouldn't fear death by Sun Quan, because I had avenged my father and that's all that is important.
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium