Liu Bei's Satisfaction with Lady Sun

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Liu Bei's Satisfaction with Lady Sun

Unread postby King_Ilze » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:07 pm

I was wondering if you guys think Liu Bei was satisfied with his mariage to Lady Sun. I have been wondering this for awhile but I still have no definite conclusion.

I have had this discussion several times with diffrent people: Were they in love. I have defended their love a lot but it's hard to think that they were. Mainly because it was a arranged marriage but I still think they were in love. Why would Lady Sun help Liu Bei escape from Wu if she didnt love him. Perhaps it was a one way love.

Lady Sun was most definatly a handfull. Her guards and herself in particular werent exactly well behaved and she constantly had to have Bei
s guards watching her. So Lady Sun was a lot of trouble to have around.

Liu Bei was constantly away from his young wife which might be a sign that he didnt want to have to arround her.

What 50 year old man wouldnt want a young, 20-ish girl to be his wife?
When one can find oneself then one can avoid regret.
King_Ilze
Assistant

Re: Liu Bei's Satisfaction with Lady Sun

Unread postby Wu Chun » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:13 pm

King_Ilze wrote:I was wondering if you guys think Liu Bei was satisfied with his mariage to Lady Sun. I have been wondering this for awhile but I still have no definite conclusion.

I have had this discussion several times with diffrent people: Were they in love. I have defended their love a lot but it's hard to think that they were. Mainly because it was a arranged marriage but I still think they were in love. Why would Lady Sun help Liu Bei escape from Wu if she didnt love him. Perhaps it was a one way love.

Lady Sun was most definatly a handfull. Her guards and herself in particular werent exactly well behaved and she constantly had to have Bei
s guards watching her. So Lady Sun was a lot of trouble to have around.

Liu Bei was constantly away from his young wife which might be a sign that he didnt want to have to arround her.

What 50 year old man wouldnt want a young, 20-ish girl to be his wife?

He did not love her, it was a politcal marrige, and he had no concern when she left to the Wu provence, as far as i read, she never came back. some people love their concubines and just liked their wives, Love was important then, but not mognomus
The rise and fall of an empire can be won by many soldiers, or just one woman

Know thy enemy and know thy self

Man who go in airport sideway will go to bangkok
Come to my banquet! it will be fun!
Wu Chun
Academic

Re: Liu Bei's Satisfaction with Lady Sun

Unread postby Liu Pi » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:04 pm

King_Ilze wrote:What 50 year old man wouldnt want a young, 20-ish girl to be his wife?

I'll give you three guesses what he would want out of a 20 year old wife :wink:.
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one." - James A. Froude
Liu Pi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Guan Zhi Sun of Guan Yu » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:51 am

I dont really think they got to really know each other. Lady Sun saved Liu Bei then they went to Yi then Wu got in a fight with Shu and she had to leave back to Wu. SUCKS
Why do you cower to death. Nothing lasts forever.

Why should you be consumed by darkness when the light is still shining.
Guan Zhi Sun of Guan Yu
Assistant

Unread postby Big Blu » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:07 am

He was the lord, he always gotta be busy when your in charge, then Sun Quan faked her out, and she was forced to stay. Thats why Liu Bei Really wanted to fight Wu, they killed his bro, and his wife. Thats why he never had a seacond thought about attacking WU.
I'm a lone wolf who got lost from the pack, and although he puts on a feirce face, he's still looking for his pack.
Big Blu
Sage

Unread postby King_Ilze » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:20 am

You guys are missing the question here. I asked if you thought Liu Bei was satisfied with Lady Sun. Was he happy with what he got out of the marriage? He only had one child(Liu Shan, by the way) and he was constantly away which is understandable but some rulers try to get time in with his family. Like I stated, Lady Sun was a handfull because of her behavior so I must say No, he was not satisfied.
When one can find oneself then one can avoid regret.
King_Ilze
Assistant

Unread postby Big Blu » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:27 am

Liu Shan became ruler after him, I'd be happy with the 20yr old chick who saved my life & gave me an heir. I think he was happy, just extremely busy. And unknowing that he'd never see her again.
I'm a lone wolf who got lost from the pack, and although he puts on a feirce face, he's still looking for his pack.
Big Blu
Sage

Unread postby SandrockCustom22 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:56 am

Liu Shan... If he would've known about Liu Shan he would've executed Zhao Yun for rescuing him, and Lady Sun for giving birth...
SandrockCustom22
Initiate

Unread postby Po Hsing » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:00 am

Based solely on the fictional work, they were definitely a couple in love.

Liu Bei was so enamoured with Lady Sun that he refused to see Zhao Yun and so Zhao had to open the pre-arranged plan from Zhuge.

And Lady Sun also played a big part in stalling their pursuers and allowing them to escape from Sun Qian.

After she was lured by false pretenses back to Wu, they could not get back together as Sun Qian would not allow her to leave.
Po Hsing
Initiate

Unread postby Iain » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:51 am

Big Blu wrote:Liu Shan became ruler after him, I'd be happy with the 20yr old chick who saved my life & gave me an heir.
SandrockCustom22 wrote:Liu Shan... If he would've known about Liu Shan he would've executed Zhao Yun for rescuing him, and Lady Sun for giving birth...

Liu Shan was already Liu Bei's heir before the marrage to Lady Sun, it was Liu Bei's previous wife Lady Gan that gave birth to him. The Wu wife gave him no children, so I guess he was too busy for that either...
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium