If Guan Yu would have taken Cao Cao prisoner

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Guan Zhi Sun of Guan Yu » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:47 am

First of all how would Zhou Yu take Liu Bei????? Its not like the whole taking Jingzhou would change. Zhuge Liang would still beat the crap out of Zhou Yu..... Therefore Zhou Yu would die.

Second I dont think Sun Quan could have made it anywhere even if he did attack Cao Cao. Sun Quan lacked the capability of following through on things.

Thirdly, Liu Bei wouldnt have lost he would have taken Jingzhou and expanded northward to where he was attacking viscously to get the emperor. Once he got the emperor he probably would have eased up a little and brought the Han back to power.

Fourthly, Cao Cao's leadership skills would have been demolished and Wei would be in Chaos.

Thats all I have time for.
Why do you cower to death. Nothing lasts forever.

Why should you be consumed by darkness when the light is still shining.
Guan Zhi Sun of Guan Yu
Assistant

Unread postby harshbarge » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:49 am

This would be before Han Zhong or Cheng Du or even control of Jing. I dont even know if he would be able to put up a fight against Wu or whats left of Wei, no matter how smart Zhuge might be.
You've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life
harshbarge
Master

Unread postby Guan Zhi Sun of Guan Yu » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:50 am

Sima Hui wrote:He wouldn't have.

Zhou Yu would have seized the moment to take Liu Bei when he was still holed up in Jiangxia and destroyed him. Then, while the Cao clan were fighting in the north, Zhou Yu would destroy each faction, one by one.

Also how would Zhou Yu have the Momentum??? If I remember correctly GUAN YU was going to capture Cao Cao therfore, SHU would have the momentum. Then like I just said Zhou Yu still would have died.

Guan Zhi Sun of Guan Yu
Assistant

Unread postby Guan Zhi Sun of Guan Yu » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:51 am

harshbarge wrote:This would be before Han Zhong or Cheng Du or even control of Jing. I dont even know if he would be able to put up a fight against Wu or whats left of Wei, no matter how smart Zhuge might be.

This was right at Jing.

Guan Zhi Sun of Guan Yu
Assistant

Unread postby Big Blu » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:53 am

You could say the same about Shu Vs Wei when Liu Bei was fleeing, huh?
I'm a lone wolf who got lost from the pack, and although he puts on a feirce face, he's still looking for his pack.
Big Blu
Sage

Unread postby harshbarge » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:15 am

Yeah but they didnt have total control of Jing yet. And I think Chi Bi definetley gave momentum to Wu, which was only stopped by Cao Cao keeping the spirits up of his army
You've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life
harshbarge
Master

Unread postby Guan Zhi Sun of Guan Yu » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:33 am

harshbarge wrote:Yeah but they didnt have total control of Jing yet. And I think Chi Bi definetley gave momentum to Wu, which was only stopped by Cao Cao keeping the spirits up of his army

It happened because Wu and Shu allied then Cao Cao was deafeted he retreated but was almost caught by Guan Yu if you think about it Cao Cao dying would have nothing to do with Shu taking Jing. It would probably have something to do with Yizhou bit not Jingzhou.

Guan Zhi Sun of Guan Yu
Assistant

Unread postby Honour and Power » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:10 am

I wonder what Xu Huang and Zhang Liao would do when Cao Cao was captured and killed by Guan Yu?

Wei would be in chaos, and I think they were both smart enough to realise they wouldn't stand a chance against Liu Bei or Sun Quan.
Since I am surrounded by my enemies, I shall exstinguish my fire with destruction
Honour and Power
Initiate

Unread postby Li Zhen » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:29 am

In the novel, Zhuge Liang deliberately sends Guan Yu because he knows that this general will fail to capture Cao Cao:

San Guo Yan Yi wrote:"I have consulted the stars lately, and the rebel Cao Cao is not fated to come to his end yet. I have purposely designed this manifestation of kindly feeling for Guan Yu to accomplish and so act handsomely."

I'm sure Zhuge Liang realises that Wei and Wu as seperate states present much less a problem than a Wu which controlled all Cao Cao's territory in addition to its own. Sun Quan's ambition would hardly be to restore the Han, and he would be as terrible an opponent as Cao Cao if Wu took Wei.
Li Zhen
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Wu Chun » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:15 pm

Actually if This all happened, it would be kinda like Liu Bang, he forsed himself to the middle land when a ruler died and the alliences broke, then he had to fae his older allies
The rise and fall of an empire can be won by many soldiers, or just one woman

Know thy enemy and know thy self

Man who go in airport sideway will go to bangkok
Come to my banquet! it will be fun!
Wu Chun
Academic

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium