Lu Bu: Smart or Cowardly?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Was Lu Bu a coward?

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes : 61

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:20 pm

Yes, and in that sense, Lü Bu is no different than Liu Bei or Cao Cao. :P
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Cao Moo » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:00 am

Yes but he was more open about it.
I am the sage Cao Moo, the holiest of all holy cows!
Cao Moo
Initiate

Unread postby Ma Chao of Xi Liang » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:47 am

I think that Lu Bu was not smart nor cowardly.He is very fierce but has no tactics which is the opposite of the choices.I've never seen Lu Bu show cowardice before :shock:
Ma Chao of Xi Liang
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:35 am

Ok... let me just try and show that Lu Bu was no idiot nor a coward.

Lu Bu killed Ding Yuan to gain his new lord Ding Yuan's troops. After all how far is Lu Bu going to rise under Ding Yuan? Who thinks Ding Yuan would prosper in the times to come? One betrayel

Now Lu Bu becomes bodyguard of Dong Zhou but once Dong Zhou tried to kill Lu Bu, the bodyguard's loyalty went and then he was persuaded that Xian wanted Dong Zhou dead by Wang Yun. So Dong Zhou is killed. This is hardly a betrayel and under Han orders (which is complete justifcation for Liu Bei to try to kill Cao Cao)

Lu Bu serves Xian as best he can, as commander of his army and leaves the court to do its job. Lu Bu is outnumbered by Li Jue and is forced to leave. Now unless you say Lu Bu should have got everyone killed by fighting on, not a betrayel

He goes to Yuan Shao and defeats Zhang Yun's bigger army(this is a better feat then it looks) but his troops go rampaging and this cuases Lu Bu problems. He asks that he be allowed to leave but Yuan Shao orders him killed so Lu Bu flees.

Takes part in rebellion led by Cheng Gong but is forced to leave for some reason that has escaped me.

Lu Bu finally gets a chance with Liu Bei and takes power though I wonder how many really belived Tao Qin had given power to Liu Bei. That is betrayl number two

Well he allies with Yuan Shu but cancels it once Yuan Shu's plan to declare indepance/become emp reach his ears. Staying with him would get Lu Bu killed as a traitor.

Lu Bu has three avdisors: Cheng Gui, Cheng Deng both who betray him for thier own gain and Cheng Gong the not rated at the time at all.

Lu Bu actully had earlier got Cao Cao on the ropes for three months but famine cuased him to lose the momentum. Now Cao Cao and Lu Bu battles again

It lasts two long years with Cao Cao leading it himself(yeah so Lu Bu must have been a real idiot.) Liu Bei of course throws in his lot with Cao Cao, as does Gui and Deng. Despite this he lasts two long years! He considered surrendering to Cao Cao but is persuaded to fight on. So Lu Bu listned to Cheng Gong and look what happend! Wow amazing advice :P

Finally Cheng Gong is captured by Wei Xu and Lu Bu orders his men to kill him. Despite the reward they would get, they refused so Lu Bu went and surrendered. That was the smart thing to do

Lu Bu is bound and Lu Bu once complains that the bonds are tight. He then gives Cao Cao his CV and ask to help. Yeah real cowardly to know when you have lost. Liu Bei persuades Cao Cao to kill Lu Bu so Lu Bu insults him.

Lu Bu was not as smart as Cao Cao but he had a decent brain and he was no coward
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Big J » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:01 am

Calling Lu Bu a coward is worse than calling Zhuge Liang and idiot
Big J
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby zhaoyunsguanyu » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:26 am

I agree with Dong Zhou, even omly had a little brain he is no coward.
Onlu Lu Bu can stand against three brothers in battle..This show Lu Bu is not a coward.
zhaoyunsguanyu
Apprentice

Unread postby urbanterrorist » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:54 am

To call Lu Bu a coward is preposterous. I mean just becuase he doesn't listen to anyone doesn't make hima a coward. He betrayed all of his masters but didn't stand tall to the end. And trying to save your skin doesn't make you an idiot or a coward. That is called thinking smart. Rememeber the retreat phrase "live to fight another day!"

He reminds me of the old black and white movie "Angels with Dirty Faces" with James Cagney and Humprey Bogart.
James's character is ruthless murdering mobster who end at the end of the movie ends up on the electric chair. But before his death he pleads and begs for his life.

O how the mighty have fallen...........
They miss the whisper that runs any day in your mind,
"Who are you really, wanderer?" and the answer you have to give
no matter how dark and cold the world around you is:
"Maybe I'm a king. -William Stafford
urbanterrorist
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:41 am

Yeah but he only pleads for his preist freinds so that the young kids will not go down the dark path

Lu Bu was not an idiot either but thats a diffrent topic I suppose
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby DAv » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:40 am

He wasn't a coward but hardly the brightest utensil in the drawer either. A treacherous, self serving, opportunist that really got everything he had coming to him.
It's 108 miles to Chicago, We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of ciggerates. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses - Elwood
Hit it - Jake
DAv
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:12 am

DAv wrote:He wasn't a coward but hardly the brightest utensil in the drawer either. A treacherous, self serving, opportunist that really got everything he had coming to him.

Ohhhhh I forgot the Han loyalist bit didn't I?

Who are we to judge another man's actions? He was a man who struck out on his own path and in the end failed. At least thats my view
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium