Lu Bu: Smart or Cowardly?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Was Lu Bu a coward?

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes : 61

Unread postby Ma Zhi Xuan » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:14 pm

He was smart as in skilled in fighting, but didn't have a brain cell for tactics whatsoever. I wouldn't call him a coward for begging for his life, only dishonurable and unloyal.
Ma Zhi Xuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In the Symphony of Destruction. Clashing the cymbols.

Lu Bu, a famaliy guy

Unread postby Wu Chun » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:53 pm

Dont forget now, Lu Bu did love his famaliy and care for them, and at many times he fought battles in the end to protect them, While he may be brace and strong, he lacks disipline, strayagy and well common sense, if he had listened to chen gong more he may have lsted longer, but he brought upon his down fall.
Secondly when Cao Cao continued to persue him through differned Ruses Lu bu always want to charge head on, there is nothing cowardly about that
The rise and fall of an empire can be won by many soldiers, or just one woman

Know thy enemy and know thy self

Man who go in airport sideway will go to bangkok
Come to my banquet! it will be fun!
Wu Chun
Academic

Unread postby Lao Tzu » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:37 am

I'd like to think about the most critical parts in his life for that is when your true self is displayed most openly such as when he was on the chopping block with Zhang Liao (If I'm not correct please correct me...it's been a while since reading RTK.) Wasn't it that Zhang Liao decided to face his death with dignity and accepted his defeat while Lu Bu tried to reason and plead so he wouldn't die? Is it me or does that seem cowardly?
Lao Tzu
Initiate

Unread postby Emperor Zhuge Liang » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:24 pm

I belvieve that Lu Bu wasn't cowardly for most of his life just when it was he was captured.
"As long as my dream comes to fruition I can sacrifice a capital city, or two, or three"
Dong Zhou DW4
Emperor Zhuge Liang
Academic

Unread postby barbarosso » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:57 pm

Increbiliy strong but with very little complex thoughts, (o wait it's Lu Bu were are talking about, :D lol)
"The fine line before, arrogance and confitdence is bearly visible when we hold our heads up high" Me thats who !
barbarosso
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mistelten » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:04 pm

People can be completely different on different days. I imagine that there was a lot going through Lu Bu's mind when he was captured. The whole ignobility of his circumstance not the least of these.
Lu Bu had no conscience, but he wasn't a coward. I don't think a coward will ride out to face an enemy, even when you know you're superior.
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby The Captain America » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:49 am

well Lu Bu did some pretty cool things like shoot an arrow to stop two armies but some of his decisions made me want to go into the book and slap him in the face with a diamond ring on the finger.
I'm back baby and I just want to say...I lost my train of thought.
The Captain America
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: On Luke Skywalker's back teaching him the ways of the force

Unread postby barbarosso » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:06 pm

The Captain America wrote:well Lu Bu did some pretty cool things like shoot an arrow to stop two armies but some of his decisions made me want to go into the book and slap him in the face with a diamond ring on the finger.

Hee hee nicely put, all the same i feel sorry for a guy who can realise he is being "played"
"The fine line before, arrogance and confitdence is bearly visible when we hold our heads up high" Me thats who !
barbarosso
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Evil Comes » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 am

Well I certainly don't think Lu Bu was a coward. As for being an idiot its relative. He rose from being Ding Yuan's vassal to Dong Zhou's. Then in a bold move he took power from Dong Zhou but then failed to secure his power. This normally would be the end of most people but he rebounded and schemed his way back into a position of some power after backstabbing Liu Bei. Yes Lu Bu would fail in the end due to his methods of alienating just about everyone but he made his bid for power and lost. All of the RTK era great men were doing so. As for being betrayer you will be hard pressed to convice me that any of the men back then truly gave a rat's behind about the Han. They were out to enhance their own positions, some were just better at it then Lu Bu.
Last edited by Evil Comes on Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Comes
Assistant

Unread postby Cao Moo » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:35 pm

I believe I can sum up Lu Bu in just one word.

Oppurtunist.
I am the sage Cao Moo, the holiest of all holy cows!
Cao Moo
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium