Lu Bu: Smart or Cowardly?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Was Lu Bu a coward?

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes : 61

Unread postby Cao Meng De » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:13 pm

He was a brave coward who wasn't feared of death or torture, however he always think he is right and never accept the truth or heed any of his generals/ strategists' word that's what makes him the coward.
The key number of share of company is 51, once you have it the company is yours... as for humanbeing our key age is 22 when you start finding an appropiate job and start your live...
Cao Meng De
Apprentice

Unread postby Lord_Zhuge000 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:15 pm

Cao Meng De wrote:He was a brave coward who wasn't feared of death or torture, however he always think he is right and never accept the truth or heed any of his generals/ strategists' word that's what makes him the coward.

Good point, he was extremely arrogant, and always thought he knew best, but he was also very easily led.
Lord_Zhuge000
Sage

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:14 pm

I would say he is pretty brave. It takes a tremendous amount of courage to face Cao Cao and his imperial troops in battle on one occasion, how many times did Lu Bu? And Cao Cao had Liu Bei and his brothers there too. Begging for your life is not cowardly, but Liu Bei made so remarks so Lu Bu was killed. So if Liu Bei wanted Lu Bu dead, wouldn't that means he fears Lu Bu? And does Liu Bei seem like the person who fears a coward?

Lu Bu may be a traitor, but he is not a coward. He is not very bright, but his is brave.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Li Zhen » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:09 pm

If I always went into a battle knowing I would win, I wouldn't need to be brave. Lu Bu would probably be so used to this, he would be unable to cope with a more challenging enemy. In my opinion, he would be much more obviously a coward if you stripped him of his ability.
Li Zhen
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:53 pm

zhang wen yuan wrote:
Lord_Zhuge000 wrote:
zhang wen yuan wrote:Lu Bu is not a coward but he is not brave as Zhang Liao. If Lu Bu is a coward, he will not fight at all.

But what did Lu Bu actually do on the battlefield that showed his bravery? You must remember that "The Mighty Lu Bu" was a fictional character of SGYY, the real Lu Bu was far fro the ultimate warrior.

Have you read his biography at konming.net?

In just the second line, it says

Known for his prowess, he was recommended for service in Bing Province.

I think that means Lu Bu is known to be a brave man. If Lu Bu is not brave, how can he be known to be brave?

Also, here is another line.

Yuan Shao ordered his generals to pursue Lü Bu, but they were fearful and would not approach him.

It says Yuan Shao generals don't dare to chase Lu Bu. Why? If Lu Bu is a coward, why don't Yuan Shao generals chase him? Why will Yuan Shao generals want to be punished for not listening to orders and not chase Lu Bu if Lu Bu is a coward? I don't think generals will not be punish if they don't listen to orders if they don't have a good reason. You think it is right?

Even if you can't find his deeds, people in the past know he is brave and some are scared of him. Is that not good enough to say Lu Bu is brave? Of course, Lu bu is not as brave as Zhang Liao.

Prowess: Superior skill or ability; Superior strength, courage, or daring, especially in battle.
Bravery: The condition or quality of being brave; Splendor or magnificence, show.
somewhat similar, but not quite the same
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:48 pm

Smart officer who just had the bad luck of becoming Cao Cao's enemy.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Li Zhen » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:00 pm

Smart!?? :shock: :shock:

Don't you think he was at least a little stupid, whether or not he was a coward!!?

He has done some of the most stupid things in the era's history, and even the games gve him an INT level of less than 30.
Li Zhen
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Big Blu » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:07 am

Lu Bu was an idiot, powerful and brave in battle, I think he just wanted to stay alive, like any officer who defects, it just seems he's a cut throat.
I'm a lone wolf who got lost from the pack, and although he puts on a feirce face, he's still looking for his pack.
Big Blu
Sage

Unread postby Lord_Zhuge000 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:16 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Smart officer who just had the bad luck of becoming Cao Cao's enemy.

Lu Bu was not smart, he never listened to Chen Gong, thus resulting in his defeat at Xia Pi. Also, he fell into countless ploys from Cao Cao.

Lu Bu was everyone's enemy at some point, he was always going to face a situation he couldn't weasel his way out of in the end.
Lord_Zhuge000
Sage

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:06 pm

Lord_Zhuge000 wrote:
LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Smart officer who just had the bad luck of becoming Cao Cao's enemy.

Lu Bu was not smart, he never listened to Chen Gong, thus resulting in his defeat at Xia Pi. Also, he fell into countless ploys from Cao Cao.

Lu Bu was everyone's enemy at some point, he was always going to face a situation he couldn't weasel his way out of in the end.

My apologies for not being clear earlier i had to sign off so i could not explain.
I was talking about the historical Lu Bu not the novel one. In history Chen Gong pretty much never came up with a stratagy for Lu Bu all the plans were Lu Bu's. Chen Deng came up with a stratagy one time when Yuan Shu attacked Lu Bu and that was a good one.
Novel wise Lu Bu was all brawn no brains
Historicly Lu Bu was a good general who was pretty smart he wasn't the greatest in either catagory but he was a pretty good leader. but made the mistake of making Cao Cao his enemy and who had an undependable ally in Yuan Shu.

Oh and for the intelligence in the games that is taken from the novel.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium