Lu Bu: Smart or Cowardly?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Was Lu Bu a coward?

Yes
16
26%
No
45
74%
 
Total votes : 61

Unread postby Lord_Zhuge000 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:54 am

n06guy wrote:Neither, just a complete fool. Wouldnt listen to anything Chen Gong suggested. Maybe he got hit on the head to many times in battle... :lol:


I'm with you on this. If he'd listened to Chen Gong when he was stuck in Xia Pi, or even before then he may have actually got somewhere. But no, just had to run around all the different generals, waiting for another person to take him in...
User avatar
Lord_Zhuge000
Sage
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:48 am
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom

Unread postby twiztidscholar45 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:51 pm

lu bu isnt necisarily a coward , hes very brave but i think his accomplishments got to his head and he thoguht of himslef as the best and also he relied to much on his strenght and didnt pay attention to his men. peopel were scared into fighting with him but they probably didnt give it their all knowing that they were fighting for this guy that might flip out on you any secound
In this battle strength alone will not save you
User avatar
twiztidscholar45
Assistant
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:26 am

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:24 am

You gotta remember, Lu Bu was killed because he begged for his life, Zhang Liao wished for death and was released and rewarded.
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
User avatar
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:43 pm
Location: Quam olim d: C:

Unread postby King_Ilze » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:28 am

I thought about this for awhile and I've decided that Lu Bu is in fact, a coward. I have never liked Lu Bu because he is such a cowardice traitor. If he wasnt so cowardly thne he could have just broken away from his ruler's instead of taking their lives. Then when he begged for his life before his execution. Although I can understand why he did(he wanted to live, understandable) I just see that as a sign of cowardice back then. During this period, officers were supposed to be brave, even before death. Lu Bu lacked that feature.
When one can find oneself then one can avoid regret.
User avatar
King_Ilze
Assistant
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:38 am
Location: DeGraff

Unread postby zhang wen yuan » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:26 am

Lu Bu is not a coward but he is not brave as Zhang Liao. If Lu Bu is a coward, he will not fight at all.
User avatar
zhang wen yuan
Student
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:42 am

Unread postby Devilrai » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:13 am

Sorry, but I'm not going to vote since I don't believe he was smart nor a coward. He was brave but not as brave as many people think, he is just overated in my opinion. Though all his strategies were not even his, that is because he did have one!

If he did it was probably someone else's idea, like Diao Chan "father" or Chen Gong, though it would someone backfire.

I'm glad to see that you all are comparing Zhang Liao to Lu Bu :D I have nothing aganist that, I find it resonable though since he wanted death and he got life while Lu Bu on the other hand wanted life but got death. :?
User avatar
Devilrai
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:09 am

Unread postby Lord_Zhuge000 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:53 am

zhang wen yuan wrote:Lu Bu is not a coward but he is not brave as Zhang Liao. If Lu Bu is a coward, he will not fight at all.


But what did Lu Bu actually do on the battlefield that showed his bravery? You must remember that "The Mighty Lu Bu" was a fictional character of SGYY, the real Lu Bu was far from the ultimate warrior.
Last edited by Lord_Zhuge000 on Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Lord_Zhuge000
Sage
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:48 am
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom

Unread postby Lord_Zhuge000 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:55 am

Blue Moon Samurai wrote:I'm glad to see that you all are comparing Zhang Liao to Lu Bu :D I have nothing aganist that, I find it resonable though since he wanted death and he got life while Lu Bu on the other hand wanted life but got death. :?


Yeah, I agree, Zhang Liao was far braver than Lu Bu, and in the end Liao just abandoned Lu Bu (when Cao Cao defeated them at Xia Pi) and showed Fengxian that he was not afraid of death. For this, Cao Cao rewarded him.
User avatar
Lord_Zhuge000
Sage
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:48 am
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom

Unread postby zhang wen yuan » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:36 am

Lord_Zhuge000 wrote:
zhang wen yuan wrote:Lu Bu is not a coward but he is not brave as Zhang Liao. If Lu Bu is a coward, he will not fight at all.


But what did Lu Bu actually do on the battlefield that showed his bravery? You must remember that "The Mighty Lu Bu" was a fictional character of SGYY, the real Lu Bu was far fro the ultimate warrior.


Have you read his biography at konming.net?

In just the second line, it says

Known for his prowess, he was recommended for service in Bing Province.


I think that means Lu Bu is known to be a brave man. If Lu Bu is not brave, how can he be known to be brave?

Also, here is another line.

Yuan Shao ordered his generals to pursue Lü Bu, but they were fearful and would not approach him.


It says Yuan Shao generals don't dare to chase Lu Bu. Why? If Lu Bu is a coward, why don't Yuan Shao generals chase him? Why will Yuan Shao generals want to be punished for not listening to orders and not chase Lu Bu if Lu Bu is a coward? I don't think generals will not be punish if they don't listen to orders if they don't have a good reason. You think it is right?

Even if you can't find his deeds, people in the past know he is brave and some are scared of him. Is that not good enough to say Lu Bu is brave? Of course, Lu bu is not as brave as Zhang Liao.
User avatar
zhang wen yuan
Student
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:42 am

Unread postby Lord_Zhuge000 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:27 am

Have you read his biography at konming.net?

In just the second line, it says

Quote:
Known for his prowess, he was recommended for service in Bing Province.


I think that means Lu Bu is known to be a brave man. If Lu Bu is not brave, how can he be known to be brave?


This is because Lu Bu had a reputation as the fierce warrior, hence his powers in SGYY and the Dynasty games. However, there is no actual evidence to suggest that Lu Bu was as mighty as it is suggested.

Quote:
Known for his prowess, he was recommended for service in Bing Province.

I think that means Lu Bu is known to be a brave man. If Lu Bu is not brave, how can he be known to be brave?


Again, refer to my earlier point.

Quote:
Yuan Shao ordered his generals to pursue Lü Bu, but they were fearful and would not approach him.


It says Yuan Shao generals don't dare to chase Lu Bu. Why? If Lu Bu is a coward, why don't Yuan Shao generals chase him? Why will Yuan Shao generals want to be punished for not listening to orders and not chase Lu Bu if Lu Bu is a coward? I don't think generals will not be punish if they don't listen to orders if they don't have a good reason. You think it is right?


Of course they were fearful, Lu Bu served Yuan Shao so Shao wanted to make it look like he had a might warrior on his side. The general's fears were further increased by the fact that Lu Bu had dared to betray Yuan Shao.

Even if you can't find his deeds, people in the past know he is brave and some are scared of him. Is that not good enough to say Lu Bu is brave? Of course, Lu bu is not as brave as Zhang Liao.


Of course not. But I believe that Lu Bu was no braver than any other general.

Incidentally, I have read both his SGZ and his SGYY biographies.
User avatar
Lord_Zhuge000
Sage
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:48 am
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved