Lu Meng: Wu's Best General?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Lu Meng: Wu's Best General?

Unread postby Lord_Zhuge000 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:24 pm

Hi to everyone on kongming.net

I personally have read SGYY (and found it amazing) but also read the bios in SGZ. Does anyone think that Lu Meng did not get as much credit as he should have done?

I mean he pursuaded Zhou Gongjin to send reinforcements for Gan Ning at Yi Ling (if he hadn't Gan Ning would probably have been killed) and defeated Guan Yu af Fan, but he was also loyal to his friends (Cheng Dang, Song Ding and Xu Gu), as when they died he refused to accept their armies to be added to his own (even though it would have meant he could advance further north) because he wanted their achievments in Wu to be recognised.

What does everybody else think of this?
Lord_Zhuge000
Sage

Unread postby Exar Kun » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:07 pm

Best strategist general I think.
Who knows how Lu Meng would have fared on the open field since all his victories against competent opponents were won using trickery.Nothing wrong with that of course but that kind of thinking wouldn't work too well on the road to Luo Yang.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Lord_Zhuge000 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:18 pm

Yeh, he was a strategist aswell, but doesnt that help him even more as an all round general? I think the way he took the provinces behind Fan (I forget their names) and got the people to join him was really smart :)
Lord_Zhuge000
Sage

Unread postby zhou-tai » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:28 pm

lu meng could be considered a great warrior as well as a strategist but the generals of WU who could very well be considered greater then lu meng including sun quan/jian even though they were not srategists they still probably were better warriors then lu meng
zhou-tai
Tyro

Unread postby Lord_Zhuge000 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:04 pm

including sun quan/jian even though they were not srategists they still probably were better warriors then lu meng

Possibly, however Lu Meng was probably a better warrior than Sun Jian and maybe Sun Quan, but he was diplomatic when he needed to be aswell. Lu Meng wouldnt have been able to defeat Guan Yu without his very efficient strategy.
Lord_Zhuge000
Sage

Unread postby Han Liang » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:12 pm

Lu Meng was ultimately a soldier, an an almost ideal one: Give him a task, and he'll do it, perhaps better than anyone else. But I don't think he was the best general, mainly because I don't like that type of efficiency.
Han Liang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Marx!_II » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:13 pm

And he realized the value of winning over the general poulace before an invasion. Not an entirely new idea but still....
How would he have fared at Chi Bi I wonder?
Marx!_II
Changshi

Unread postby Lord_Zhuge000 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:15 pm

[/quote]Lu Meng was ultimately a soldier, an an almost ideal one: Give him a task, and he'll do it, perhaps better than anyone else. But I don't think he was the best general, mainly because I don't like that type of efficiency.[/quote]

Lu Meng would complete any mission he had been assigned to, but not in any way that he thought was morally wrong, unlike generals like Cao Cao who would have done anything to achieve their goal, Lu Meng was completely reasonable, and it didnt hinder him at all. Therefore, maybe more generals should follow Lu Meng's ideas...
Last edited by Lord_Zhuge000 on Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Zhuge000
Sage

Unread postby Lord_Zhuge000 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:17 pm

Marx!_II wrote:And he realized the value of winning over the general poulace before an invasion. Not an entirely new idea but still....
How would he have fared at Chi Bi I wonder?

Wasn't Lu Meng at Chi Bi?
Lord_Zhuge000
Sage

Unread postby Han Liang » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:20 pm

Lord_Zhuge000 wrote: Lu Meng would complete any mission he had been assigned to, but not in any way that he thought was morally wrong, unlike generals like Cao Cao who would have done anything to achieve their goal, Lu Meng was completelt reasonable, and it didnt hinder him at all. Therefore, maybe more generals should follow Lu Meng's ideas...

It's filial piety. Utmost loyalty to your lord, and allowing him to do wrong is disloyal.
Han Liang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium