The Liu Bei Memorial Thread

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Li Ruiyue » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:59 pm

Liu Bei, one of the few people I admire, you have achieved so much with so little. You did not have as great resources as Wu or Wei, but you continued gaining the trust of the people around you for your one unselfish goal, to restore the Han. You never once swayed from your Peach Garden Oath to Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, always looking out for one another even after your deaths.
You truly are a man of supreme honour, and your kindness to your generals is something I wish to follow.
Li Ruiyue
Innocent Soul

Unread postby James » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:22 pm

One thing to admire in Liu Bei, in my eyes, has always been his dedication and perseverance. Started with little more than a name, which served him at times but certainly didn’t carry him, and eventually turned his legacy into the kingdom of Shu. Despite many failures and defeats, losing almost everything he had several times, he still came through in the end to actually rival Wei and Wu. That’s uncommon talent and dedication, to say the least.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Han Liang » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:16 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Wow, what happened to the all Shuists on this board?? To have a Wu supporter organize the Liu Bei memorial... tsk tsk. :roll:

Ahrem... mother-in-law...

But Liu Bei had so little going for him-- bad land, bad resources, bad origins-- yet at one point, his kingdom was the most powerful of all. So what if your son was lazy. So what if you lost in the end. So what if you represent the underdog. You made it happen, Liu Bei. You really did.
Han Liang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TaiShang » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:04 am

Liu Bei - if not for you, chaos would have been more severe than it was. Sure, you were unable to completely eradicate it - that wouldn't happen until long after your passing. But it was your steps, and those that walked with you, that made it possible.
TaiShang
Apprentice

Unread postby Anduril » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:34 am

In a Land far away
your destiny befalls
you seek to serve your ancestors
and restore the Han
your quest was pure
your intentions vain
when your brother lost Jing
when your other brother lay slain
you forgot your mission
put your troubles aside
strove against the shrewd Sun Quan
where your fate still resides
but you were a man of honor
let none take that
you stepped forward, casting away both sandals, and mats
and succeeded where no other could
for this Liu Bei
all admiration is well understood.

(i can do better but this is all spur of the moment)[/i]
"In a land that is fruitless, I shall extract fruit"-deeds promised by heros.
Anduril
Tyro

Unread postby Liu Pi » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:04 pm

Sandle maker to Shu Han Emperor need i say any more. He fought for what he believed him and even the deaths of his beloved brothers did not distract him from his objective (ok maybe he did attack Wu but they had it coming) Emperor, warriror honourable bloke, what more could you ask for in a leader ?

( Sheds a tear :cry: :lol: )
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one." - James A. Froude
Liu Pi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sima Hui » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:29 pm

Bye Liu Bei! On your deathday I had a moment's silence. You are an inspiration to us all. If everyone was like you, this world would be a happier place. You were kind, charismatic, loyal and enduring. A real hero. *Sniffs*
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Shadowlink » Wed May 02, 2007 12:50 am

Omg I see this thread! it's so old! I love you Liu Bei! you are the best! you never not be as evil as Sun Quan and great as Cao Cao but you did so much! oh god! from a sandal maker to a emperor! you are there to restore the Han, you are a dragon! You are a good military commander!
"page 14
"Seasoned plans and master moves: all divinely done.
To one mighty dragon two tigers cant compare. At his first trial what victories are won! poor orphan boy? the realm is his to share!@
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby FuguNabe » Wed May 02, 2007 1:10 am

Hmmm... I admire his perseverence and generalship historically. It seems historically he achieved more victory and wasn't nearly as weak as the novel have seemed to imply. You win some you lose some but it seems even when Liu Bei lose he gains in reputation somehow. In the novel I admire his relatively virtuous ways up to the point where he lost the bigger picture to revenge instead of maintaining his enterprise which took so much to accomplish. Naive cry-baby perhaps in the novel but he's still accomplished much from little which is something worthy of admiration. It doesn't mean I like him though.
Cynicism in my lyricism? Life has been series of questions and sessions of lessons to enhance my essence...

Knowledge is god as despite my iaido skills my pen is is mightier than my sword...

With a tongue to match my wit your mental death swift...
FuguNabe
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: You'd find me at some karaoke drinking and singing with ladies on the weekend

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed May 02, 2007 5:00 am

Shadowlink, you're a whole month and 10 days too early. I challenge you to keep up your Liu Bei enthusiasm until June 10!

Be like this:

"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium