The Liu Bei Memorial Thread

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

The Liu Bei Memorial Thread

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:14 pm

Seeing that this is the 1781st death anniversary of Liu Bei, I'm going to start a new thread for dedicating to the founder of Shu. (Yes, there are a gazillion Liu Bei threads around, but this can be closed or whatever after today...)

Rules:
:arrow: Post something, anything, positive about Liu Bei, be it a poem, a historically-based analysis, your personal feelings about him, how he influenced you, etc.

:arrow: I know not all of us admire Xuande 100%. I don't. However, please post only positive things here--nothing sarcastic or mean-spirited. If you take issue with another person's comments, take it to one of the other Liu Bei discussion threads.

I'll post something in a bit (after I'm fully awake, heh). 8-)
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Exar Kun » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:39 pm

One thing no one can take away from Liu Bei,he always persevered.
He'd be beaten and get however many set backs,but he'd always come back strong.And his people would follow him through thick and thin.
A testament to his character.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:04 pm

He was a great self-starter, a motivater of people, and was determined to create his own niche in the world. He went from being a sandle-maker to the Emperor of Shu. With his triats, he would have done very well for himself in the world of today.
"To the meaningless French idealisms of Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity, we oppose the German realisms of Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery."
- Prince Bernhard von Bulow, German Chancellor 1900-09 (attrib.)
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:39 pm

Oops, I posted my heart-felt Liu Bei tribute in the fiesta thread, since this is the Liu Bei fiesta. Oh well, I could re-post it here...

Here we go:

Bye bye Bei, you did some great things. This is out of your hands, I know, but you also eventually became a fun character and made for some good reading. I'm sure you meant a lot more to others than you mean to me, but at least someone's still thinking about you 1700+ years after your death.

Well done.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Devilrai » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:16 am

I really like Liu Bei as a ruler and as a person, he did what he needed to do in order make his people happy, he was a kind loving man, though he did throw Liu Shan to the ground but that was to show how much he loved his officer who would give their lives in order to fight for him, who else would do such thing. Liu Bei loved his sworn brothers enough to wage war which would eventually lead to his death, I believe he could have ruled Shu-Han long enough to have a much more stable government. Though I or anyone else can change the past but what done is done, but Liu Bei was the best ruler of the Three Kingdoms, the most honorable and virtuous of the rest.
Devilrai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:15 am

Wow, what happened to the all Shuists on this board?? To have a Wu supporter organize the Liu Bei memorial... tsk tsk. :roll:

Anyway, there are many things I don't admire about Liu Bei, but one thing that I really admire is his preserverance. He pretty much got screwed at every turn in the first 20 years of his career, and had a boring and frustrating 8 year stay at Liu Biao's where he could do nothing to further his aspirations. But he kept at it, and at the end became emperor. Anyone who manages to declare himself emperor without being squashed like a fly (Yuan Shu, anyone?) is worthy of respect.

*pours a cup of wine*

Here's to preserverance to make one's dreams come true.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby phenomenal17 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:03 am

Lady Wu wrote:Wow, what happened to the all Shuists on this board?? To have a Wu supporter organize the Liu Bei memorial... tsk tsk. :roll:

Anyway, there are many things I don't admire about Liu Bei, but one thing that I really admire is his preserverance. He pretty much got screwed at every turn in the first 20 years of his career, and had a boring and frustrating 8 year stay at Liu Biao's where he could do nothing to further his aspirations. But he kept at it, and at the end became emperor. Anyone who manages to declare himself emperor without being squashed like a fly (Yuan Shu, anyone?) is worthy of respect.

*pours a cup of wine*

Here's to preserverance to make one's dreams come true.

Haha, pouring yourself some wine, eh? Sure you aren't celebrating Liu Bei just as an excuse to drink? :P

Anyway, my first run-in with Liu Bei was, like probably a lot of other people, in a video game. Once upon a time, when I was around 4 or 5, I played a little game called Destiny of an Emperor and first heard about this thing called "Romance of the Three Kingdoms." My interest has waxed and waned over the years (I recently finished the novels so I guess I'm at a peak of interest right now), but no matter the status of my interest, there will always be a little place in my heart for that crude mass of red, white, and flesh-toned blocks Liu Bei was first rendered in.

Even if he looked like a Caucasian white guy, he was still the first Asian I ever knew.
...brevity can never, in the nature of things, do justice to all the facts of a complex situation.

-Aldous Huxley
phenomenal17
Sage

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:52 am

Liu Bei- another man to rise to prominence though he was born into a poor family and made his mark on history. His intentions, whether pure or not, have been admired by many men following in his steps. Heres to Liu Bei, weaver of straw scandals and emperor of shu-han!
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Li Zhen » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:07 pm

Heres to the last great emperor of the Han, who fought bravely to save his failing house. A man who brought together heroes from all over the dynasty, and had to even oppose his own family to accomplish his glorius task. Many times he faced great danger at the hands of rebels like Dong Zhuo, Sun Quan, and Cao Cao, but heaven always supported him with it's well-placed mandate. His state was blessed with the boldest and most intelligent men of the age, come to serve the one who ruled with unequalled skill and virtue.

Liu Bei, you're the greatest!

(oh my god, i'm actually crying :cry: :cry: :cry: )
Li Zhen
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ma Zhi Xuan » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:36 pm

Liu Bei, you have been a magificent inspiration to me, from the start where you were making straw sandals for your mother, to leading the glorious Shu-Han empire to restore the Han. You showed great ambition and determination in your loyal conquest and you attempted perhaps the most honourable and loyal task of China. Your starting point gave you a huge disadvantage over the other leaders, but still you battled on for the people, peace and prosperity of your land. This honour and charismatic nature of yours attracted people who like you, wanted to restore the Han empire, in fact the list is too big to list at this time. Your brothers and you fought valiently, perhaps you loved them too much, deciding to avenge them was the worser decision, but you were only trying to bring honour back to your Peach Tree Garden Oath, and for that I still admire you. You had too go through thick and thin to restore the Han, even if you had to desert your friends in order to do so, which may seem like unloyalty to some, but it's them who can't see in the long run that you had to do so otherwise you couldn't accomplish your ultimate goal of restoration. If only your son could have been only half as courageuos as you, then the unity of peace would be under your family name once again.
Ma Zhi Xuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In the Symphony of Destruction. Clashing the cymbols.

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium