Moss Roberts Knows how to write an afterword.

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Moss Roberts Knows how to write an afterword.

Unread postby Song Jiang » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:58 am

The Moss Roberts Afterward.
I have read the book now multiple times, not sure how many, but i find that everytime i read that incredibally long afteward by Moss Roberts, i learn more and more about the book. Though i have read it many times, i seem to understand it more with every read. Just something i find interesting.
When i sit in class at school, and people dont know the difference between Teddy and Roosevelt and FDR, it makes me sad, i almost want to cry.
Song Jiang
Initiate

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:26 am

I agree, his afterword is superb. It's a really nice (if short) summary of how the book came about. I say short because a full-length study would be book-length (not that we would mind).

By the way, I fixed the spelling in the title of the thread.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Exar Kun » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:28 am

Me too.At first I thought it would be dreary and boring but it really reasons out alot of the things behinnd Luo creativity and provides the first real look at actual history that readers will see.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:51 am

Indeed. He gives a history behind the book and provides some insight to the comments and themes. I think that the notes that he gives are almost as valauble as the afterword itself.
"To the meaningless French idealisms of Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity, we oppose the German realisms of Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery."
- Prince Bernhard von Bulow, German Chancellor 1900-09 (attrib.)
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

Unread postby Song Jiang » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:49 am

yes, i agree with all of the above, and the briefness is nice, so i dont have to read a whole book,( though i would love to at this point). And dont worry bout the spelling, i have a problem with it. Lol
When i sit in class at school, and people dont know the difference between Teddy and Roosevelt and FDR, it makes me sad, i almost want to cry.
Song Jiang
Initiate

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium