Da Qiao and Xiao Qiao

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Da Qiao and Xiao Qiao

Unread postby Master Zhuge Liang » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:22 am

This is probably the most stupidest question you'll ever see.
Did they actually fight in battles? and did they fight with fans?
Well the same question really goes with Zhen Ji and Zhu Rong and Maybe Sun Shang Xiang and Yue Ying

And what where their names, was Xiao Qiao Lady Wu or some thing like that?
because SSX was called Lady Sun, so what was Zhen Ji, Yue Ying, Zhu Rong, Da Qiao And Xiao Qiao called?
Please Help me
The Mind Shall Vanquish The Sword.
~ You May Of May Not Win But To Admit Defeat Is The Way Of The Fool ~
Master Zhuge Liang
Scholar

Unread postby Elemental » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:44 am

I seriously doubt they fought in battles. It's pretty obvious that Koei put them in battles just to have girl characters... because no girls were part of the army back then.

Sun Shang Xiang, however, is a girl who was recorded as having skill in fighting. Her handmaidens all carried swords. But she never fought in a battle, I don't believe.

They were probably called, Lady Sun, Lady Zhen, Lady Yue, Lady Zhu, Lady Qiao, Lady Qiao... etc.
The only people you have to get back are those who have done you good...
Elemental
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Master Zhuge Liang » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:45 am

Thanx, Lady Qiao And Lady Qiao would get a bit confusing if they was in the same room or next to each other, Lolz
Master Zhuge Liang
Scholar

Unread postby BlueDragon » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:37 am

The only woman ever recorded fighting in battle was Zhu Rong and (I think) she fought with a sword. But yes, Lady Sun (also known as Sun Shang Xiang in DW4, Sun Li in Kessen II and Sun Ren in some historic records) was interested in war and trained her handmaidens to fight.
BlueDragon
Master

Unread postby Master Zhuge Liang » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:17 pm

For Self Deffence then, just incase there was an ambush
Master Zhuge Liang
Scholar

Unread postby RyoHazuki » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:35 pm

Self Defense? Sure why not?

But then I doubt anyone would lead an army against Lady Sun.An Ambush? :roll: Depends on what kind of Ambush? A small one,perhaps (maybe 10 men with the help of her bodyguards) but thats only an if.An ambush for an army? Well shes got to be drinking pleanty of milk thats for sure O_o Its most likely then that any woman of that time would have surrendered (be it through death or as a hostage)

I think the first real female warrior in china was Mulan,which was much later in China's history.
RyoHazuki
Student

Unread postby three63 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:30 pm

Soorry to break that this to
you but I relly doubt that mulan
was real
three63
Apprentice

Unread postby Shadowlink » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:49 pm

I don't think the Qiao sister ever fought in history, only Zhu rong did and Sun Shang Xiang is only good in fighting but never show it off
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Re: Da Qiao and Xiao Qiao

Unread postby Morg » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:53 pm

Master Zhuge Liang wrote:Did they actually fight in battles? and did they fight with fans?

No and no. No women fought in battles and fans do not work very well against spears.

Well the same question really goes with Zhen Ji and Zhu Rong and Maybe Sun Shang Xiang and Yue Ying

No women ever fought historically in the Three Kingdoms period. Zhu Rong was the only woman to fight in the novel, but historically she didn't exist.

And what where their names, was Xiao Qiao Lady Wu or some thing like that?
because SSX was called Lady Sun, so what was Zhen Ji, Yue Ying, Zhu Rong, Da Qiao And Xiao Qiao called?
Please Help me

Xiao Qiao and Da Qiao were not mentioned by name in the novel. Their father's family name is Qiao, so KOEI (makers of Dynasty Warriors) added Xiao and Da to give them names (Xiao means small, Da means big).

Zhen Ji was known as Empress Zhen, the 'Ji' bit of her name is debatable. She has a historical biography here:
http://kongming.net/novel/sgz/empresszhen.php

Yue Ying was known as Lady Huang. It was her father (Huang Chenyan) who helped Lu Xun out of the 8 Maze Aarray (Stone Sentinel Maze)

Zhu Rong did not historically exist, but she was known as Lady Zhurong in the novel. Zhurong is the god of fire and her name is taken from there. A biography of her based on the novel is here:
http://kongming.net/novel/sgyy/zhurong.php

Just to clarify, Lady Sun's name was not recorded in history, but the name Sun Ren was given to her in the novel. I'm not sure where KOEI got Sun Shang Xiang from.

Hope that helps.
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Unread postby Master Zhuge Liang » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:57 pm

Thanx, that helped a lot. thanx ^_^
Master Zhuge Liang
Scholar

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium