Were Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei suitable to become Gods?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Shadowlink » Wed May 02, 2007 1:03 am

Cao Ah Man wrote:Shadowlink...I have NO idea what you're talking about, so I'm not even going to bother anymore.

Foif, that's just the thing I keep trying to explain they aren't GODS. The term god isn't used correctly when applied to those three, it's more accurate for them to be dubbed saints. In the proper term, it's Boddhisatva, which is like how you have the saints to god, you have them to the Buddha. It's really hard to explain this to someone who isn't asian, or brought up in their ways, I hope I'm clear ^^;;; Not to mention English is my second language, so perhaps that's why, hee...
>< I am chinese. I just feel like Guan Yu shouldnt be attacked. I know Guan yu and guan gong are the same but Im using ethics and comparing it to the other gods that is why you dont understand. I know they are saints/Shen. Thank you! Saints are there to relay the message to god! there are Saints of Animal in christianty, Saints of good fortune. etc
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Cao Ah Man » Wed May 02, 2007 1:05 am

that's fine, but in this day and age, it's very hard to keep someone completely protected and respected. I honor and admire your motives, but disagree and are confused by your methods. But we're getting off track here!
Cao Ah Man
Scholar

Unread postby Shadowlink » Wed May 02, 2007 1:07 am

Gods and saints are very important that is why Im comparing them to Greek Gods and Christianty
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Cao Ah Man » Wed May 02, 2007 1:09 am

That's fine, but it's very difficult to compare Guan Yu and the others of the Chinese pantheon to Christianity and Western religions. People who don't understand will get confused by the title god added to them, so I feel it's easier to just say saint.
Cao Ah Man
Scholar

Unread postby Shadowlink » Wed May 02, 2007 1:10 am

Yeah me too. Saints are lower than God. Remember there is a emperor for the gods in china and Budha isnt a god i think, he just ahcieve enlightment which was a state of something.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Cao Ah Man » Wed May 02, 2007 1:11 am

NIRVANA! IT WAS THE STATE OF NIRVANA :twisted:
Let's not get into Buddhism here, that would need an entire other thread, and I'm too tired ot start explaining it. However, yes, again, Guan Yu DID achieve a high status in Buddhism, he is a Boddhistva, which is also, like in Taoism, the equivalent of a saint.

Oh, and if Buddha aint' so high up in Taoist lore, why did he beat Sun Wukong so easily while the Jade Emperor couldn't? :P
Cao Ah Man
Scholar

Unread postby Shadowlink » Wed May 02, 2007 1:15 am

>< because Buddha has big hands. At least Taoism and Buddhist respects Guan Yu :D
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium