Were Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei suitable to become Gods?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Shadowlink » Wed May 02, 2007 12:39 am

Im sorry but people who has the statue view them as 2 different person. Just think of Guan gong as a fictional character and Guan Yu as a real character then Im all A okay with him as a Saint.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Foif » Wed May 02, 2007 12:40 am

Im just saying, i respect all three. But since i really havent heard much about other saints (and i know im probably biased and all, and im sorry for my ignorance :roll: ) i have to say i cant really honor them because they get swept away by regular human sins.
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Ah Man » Wed May 02, 2007 12:41 am

Uh...I don't know where you're getting this stuff, but no, they don't Shadowlink. In Thailand, they are one and the same. They don't even call him Guan Gong, they just call him Gwanoo, which is the Thai version of Guan Yu. Also, in China and in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, and anywhere else they worship him, they STILL know them to be one and the same.

That's fine and understandable Foif, but don't forget again, that folks like Jesus, Paul of Tarsus, Buddha, all of them too were human. What makes them better to be at the level they are at? If anyone sinned they did just as much as regular folks. But we still venerate them.
Cao Ah Man
Scholar

Unread postby Shadowlink » Wed May 02, 2007 12:44 am

Calling him Guan Yu only allows more Flames by members who hate him. How can I say this so you can understand... It's like calling Anakin Skywalker Darth vader... yes...
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Cao Ah Man » Wed May 02, 2007 12:47 am

So what, you're saying that they were two different people because you're afraid of what people on a board will say? Who cares? Better to say things correctly and not be afraid of what others think than to bow to the wishes of the uninformed. Anyways, you're getting me off topic, lol.
Guan Yu and Guan Gong/Guan Di are all the same person. It's NOTHING like Anakin and Darth Vader. Guan Yu didn't suddenly turn into a superhero and get a new name liek Guan Gong, or turn all evil and emo like Anakin to Vader.
Cao Ah Man
Scholar

Unread postby Foif » Wed May 02, 2007 12:53 am

Cao Ah Man wrote:That's fine and understandable Foif, but don't forget again, that folks like Jesus, Paul of Tarsus, Buddha, all of them too were human. What makes them better to be at the level they are at? If anyone sinned they did just as much as regular folks. But we still venerate them.

Ahh yes but your forgetting one crucial thing: God. They(and I) had a one and all mighty God, whereas they didnt, and when God gave them their position it seems that way. Your belief may seem blurred to me because of the confusion that it was decided by some unknown way that he was a God. Once again, i apologize for anything i say thats like offensefull, since i know were kinda broaching a sensitive subject.
Buddha himself didnt ask to be a God, he didnt recognize himself to be a God, and he did things himself to become equal to the people which seems to me much more reason than the others. And also all of them had a much more, you could say "forgiving" approach. They aloud almost anyone to become part of their teachings and beliefs, while Guan Yu had a small amount of pity for others and cared not. Yet since the many other Gods of War there are, most are pitiless, strong , and loyal. So i can see why you could see him as a God of War. But the others, i need a bit more reason.
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Wed May 02, 2007 12:53 am

Guan Gong fictional character. Guan Yu real person. Guan Yu history civil officer. Guan Yu novel is good, Guan Gong is part of novel Guan Yu. Add a little honey, spice and you get Guan Gong. Cuchulain, did alot but then later on they said he did more. Zeus did alot, more story were told for him. I like Guan Yu and I know you do too because just think of Guan gong as a fictional character in a fictional universe and everything will be okay
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Cao Ah Man » Wed May 02, 2007 12:56 am

Shadowlink...I have NO idea what you're talking about, so I'm not even going to bother anymore.

Foif, that's just the thing I keep trying to explain they aren't GODS. The term god isn't used correctly when applied to those three, it's more accurate for them to be dubbed saints. In the proper term, it's Boddhisatva, which is like how you have the saints to god, you have them to the Buddha. It's really hard to explain this to someone who isn't asian, or brought up in their ways, I hope I'm clear ^^;;; Not to mention English is my second language, so perhaps that's why, hee...
Cao Ah Man
Scholar

Unread postby Foif » Wed May 02, 2007 1:01 am

Its your second language? Your pretty good though :D . No but i think i understood it a bit more clearly. Saints works alot more clearly than a God. I think the title kinda muddled me. SInce its coming from someone who actually worships them like that, then i think it made me understand better. Thanks.
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Ah Man » Wed May 02, 2007 1:02 am

No problem, it was a pleasure discussing this with you ^^. I love talking to people who are eager to learn and eager to teach ^^.
Cao Ah Man
Scholar

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium