Were Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei suitable to become Gods?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby twiztidscholar45 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:37 pm

i dont think they are gods but merely spirits,but they are still worshiped right?
In this battle strength alone will not save you
twiztidscholar45
Assistant

Unread postby DEK » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:23 pm

well I believe that Guan Yu is the only one that worth achieve a God statues imho. In China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, there are lot of different type of ppl who worship Guan Yu....The Triad, police and even ordinary people worship Guan Yu for his loyality and blessing...
DEK
Tyro

Unread postby dirtybird » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:57 pm

No. i don't think humans should be placed at the deity level.
Everything i've obtained, and all i know; i give it away just to know you Lord.
dirtybird
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shi Tong » Tue May 01, 2007 8:50 am

Why so certain dirtybird? Who said who could become a god anyway, and why should we believe in one who never existed in the first place anyway?

IMO, if the Chinese, Taiwanese and HKers to a large degree all worship these gods, then of course they deserve to be gods, they're put there by the people who know best- those who belong to that culture.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm

They should become Saints. Someone I can pray to for god. I think they are saints
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Shi Tong » Tue May 01, 2007 1:27 pm

Is it up to us though?

I mean- isn't it up to the Chinese to decide who are their gods?

I dont think we'd appreciate it if someone Chinese was saying what a stupid idea 1 god is and that we should worship Guan Yu and the other Bhudisattvas.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Tue May 01, 2007 1:35 pm

Your right it isnt up to us. If we dont like it we shouldnt pray to them. I don't attack christians for being atheist
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue May 01, 2007 2:09 pm

christians for being atheist

?

Anyway I agree with Shi Tong on this, up to the Chinese though I probably wouldn't put any of them as saints personally.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shadowlink » Tue May 01, 2007 2:10 pm

Why not? they died for something it was like martyr. Well yeah you can have your own opinion, sometimes I don't rank them as saints or god either I just respect them and like them.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Cao Ah Man » Tue May 01, 2007 2:37 pm

Oyeh...people really aren't getting this. Chinese pantheon and culture, VERY DIFFERENT from Western. A god in Chinese culture isn't a god persay, as much as a beneficial spirit, almost like a guardian spirit. In fact, I think it'd be more accurate to call them saints, they are just the representations of the moral values and virtues that they represented during their time. And btw, Luo Guanzhong did not have anything to do with the elevation of Guan Yu as a saint. (In Buddhism in fact he's a Boddhisatva, which is means that he is another one who's achieved nirvana.) Guan Yu, though I'm not sure about the other two, was elevated to that status long before the novel. I believe it was an emperor in the Song Dynasty who dubbed him such. Oh, and on a side note-

Guan Yu- God of war, success and money
Liu Bei- God of Shoemakers and Heroes (Go to Chengdu, there is a long tradition that Liu Bei INVENTED Shoes.)
Zhang Fei- God of warriors and butchers

Zhuge Liang is NOT in that status, he's just highly respected.
Cao Ah Man
Scholar

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium