Sima Yi: Genius or mediocre at best?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Sima Yi: Genius or mediocre at best?

Unread postby Zhuge Kongmingx » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:58 am

I was just pondering about the ability of Zhongda. He seemed to be obviously a good strategist, but how do you think he compares to Jia Xu, Zhuge Liang, Lu Xun, Lu Meng, and Cao Cao? Was Sima Yi a good politician? A good advisor? An able commander? I have no clue. Sima Yi is prehaps one of the most famous men in all of 3k, but I know not very much of him due to the lack of a translated bio, and not even having an SGZ bio. Which makes me wonder. Will his Jinshu biography ever be translated? Is there no man or woman willing to take their time to provide good information on this interesting man available to non-Chinese readers/speakers?

Back on subject, I know only that Sima Yi was the man who sucessfully defended against Zhuge Lian's northern incursions, and he was demoted of office because of Cao Shuang, whom he later killed after some ploy. Can someone tell me more about Cao Shuang, his ability, why he did this to Sima Yi, and how Sima Yi killed him? Did Sima Yi go on any campaigns of his own...I think either him or his son Shi or Zhao went on a campaign against Gongsun Yuan....but I may be wrong. Did Sima Yi ever put down any rebellions? Did he ever doing anything beneficial to Wei before the Northern Conquests? How did he run the Wei court after the death of Cao Shuang? Was he a tyrant or kind? So many questions that need to be answered, and I am very interested in him...so if any of you can provide me with some info on him, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Zhuge Kongmingx
Initiate

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:54 am

i'd call Sima Yi a political genius, but not a military genius.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhilong » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:09 pm

He put down the Gongsun Yuan rebellion as well as Meng Da's.

After the killing of Cao Shuang he executed many more imperial relatives.

I posted this info about him vs Gongsun Yuan before which is derived from his bio:
http://www.the-scholars.com/viewtopic.p ... ngsun+yuan
Last edited by Zhilong on Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Unread postby Zhuge Kongmingx » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:12 pm

Can anyone give me some information on Sima Yi that may be unkown to most people. I am very interested in him. How about his brother Lang and his father...uh....Feng...or was it Jie....or Juan...or whatever? What did they do? His sons Shi and Zhao? Who were the "8 Sima's" or whatever?
Zhuge Kongmingx
Initiate

Unread postby RyoHazuki » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:32 pm

Zhuge Kongmingx wrote:Can anyone give me some information on Sima Yi that may be unkown to most people. I am very interested in him. How about his brother Lang and his father...uh....Feng...or was it Jie....or Juan...or whatever? What did they do? His sons Shi and Zhao? Who were the "8 Sima's" or whatever?

I'd like too know a thing or two on Sima Yi as well.
He is practically a mystery to me,so I'd like to know more on him.
Thanks
RyoHazuki
Student

Unread postby Exar Kun » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:35 am

I consider him a political genius not a military one.
He never proved himself a military genius but his political maneuvering was very good.He's not as good as Zhuge Liang but he's better than most.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Tyler » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:45 am

I think he laid out the foundation of the Jin Empire or maby it was one of his sons. But ethier way One of Yi's sons became the Emperor of Jin.
I'll get more info soon.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby didier » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:37 am

In my belief the Sima trio of Sima Yi and his sons were the leaders who brought the end of Three Kingdoms. After the death of Zhuge Liang, these three gave their lives to fighting through Jiang Wei and Shu to finally defeat them and approach the unification of the land. They were skilled enough to do it. However SGYY was a novel so perhaps in history the three did not play such a major role...
Guan Yu once said "I do not fear death, it is but my journey home". That comforts me for the distant future, but I want to stay and play Three Kingdoms games.
didier
Scholar

Unread postby White Horse General » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:47 am

Well without a translated bio for the most part we have only SGYY to go by. Personally I'd have to say Sima Yi was most likely very intelligent; we all know LGZ exaggerated most every person during this time period ( whether it be their talent, their ambition, or their humanity ). Though it always seems as he tends to exaggerate key elements of what was known of them: Example:

Zhuge Liang was an accomplished strategist who pretty much ran the kingdom of Shu while leading campaigns clearly a man of great intelligence; LGZ took that and with his bias towards Shu exaggerated Kongming's abilities to the point he gave him magic powers :lol:

Lu Bu was regarded the greatest warrior of that time period, a man that no one person could fight and hope to win; in SGYY he fights multiple people at the same time and they can't stop him, the three brothers were said to have surrounded him on all sides and fought him all at once and they couldn't bring him down...sorry but I think if you got somebody with a sword right behind you while you're fighting two other guys with swords right in front of you, all on horseback, somebody is going to strike a clean hit.

Perhaps it's just me but that's how I see it working, thus I'd have to conclude Sima Yi was fairly intelligent given the display of brilliance LGZ gave him in SGYY despite the fact he was a part of " The dreaded evil Wei dynasty ".
Sings we a dance of wolves;
Who smell fear and slay a coward.
Sings we a dance of man;
Who smells gold and slays his brother.
White Horse General
Master

Unread postby Han Liang » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:29 pm

I'd say Sima Yi was a pretty good advisor and military commander. With battles, in the more fine elements, Zhang He and other commanders probably played a large role. Has anybody noticed, Sima Yi's personality is more like Zhou Yu's than Zhuge Liang's? He also has the intelligence to know when he's wrong or outdone.
Han Liang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium