Romance of the Three Kingdoms Playing Cards

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Godfrey de Bouillon » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:07 pm

Unfortunately Wizards of the Coast only released them in Asia and the Pacific islands so they are kind of hard to find, and most likely in Japanese or Chinese when you do. I found this site that may have some English singles for sale: click here.
Here is another one: http://www.trollandtoad.com/Magic-The-Gathering-Cards/956-1041.html
Count Godfrey de Bouillon, Duke of Lower Lorraine, Advocatus Sancti Sepulchri
"Having already decapitated many an enemy with a single stroke, Godfrey swung his sword at another adversary and cut him cleanly in half."
Vive Dieu Saint Amour!
Godfrey de Bouillon
Sage

Unread postby Iain » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:57 am

Godfrey de Bouillon wrote:Unfortunately Wizards of the Coast only released them in Asia and the Pacific islands so they are kind of hard to find, and most likely in Japanese or Chinese when you do.
Actually some collectable card stores that carry other magic products do sometimes carry Portal card sets, even the three Kingdoms cards.

Portal was designed to be a simpler version of Magic the gathering, easier to into than the main game with all its timeing issues, there were three starter decks made one for each Kingdom plus booster packs of 15 random cards.

I found a fair number of those cards in and around Vancouver B.C. in various gaming stores, but that could be helped by our close proximity to Wizards of the Coast's main HQ down in Seattle Washington, they would probably have cards for sure.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Bryan » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:40 pm

I recall seeing some in a store here in Savannah, Ga, but i can't remember what store. i think it had Cao Cao, but I'm not 100% sure.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:29 pm

I think upperdeck should put three kingdom cards in it.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Jimayo » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:10 pm

Actually, some of the P3K were reprinted in 8th edition as part of sets there. I've found one at a local hobby shop(and they don't get hard to find cards there ever).
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Shadow Samurai » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:31 am

Here they explaine the kingdom decks.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/p3k/p3k_pcd.asp

that just show the cards in the decks.
Shadow Samurai
Apprentice

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:41 pm

BTW, the place that I know for sure carries the RTK card set James has is the Canton Market store by Gate 60 at Hong Kong International Airport. I don't know if all the other Canton Market outlets in the airport carry them, but I saw the cards at the one by Gate 60 in 2002 as well as last Christmas, so it seems that they carry them pretty consistently. They also have sets for Journey to the West (each card has a different story/event), Dream of the Red Chamber (each card is a character), Plum Blossom in Golden Vase (Jin Ping Mei?), and "Poetry" (each card is either a Chinese poet or lines from a poem).
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Mistelten » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:03 am

I like the abstract Xiahou Dun one. That horse may even be a little to extreme for DW!
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lu Xun » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:16 pm

I picked up a deck of SGYY playing cards in the China Town of Yokohama, Japan. It isn't quite as nice looking as the one James has, but it was the only deck they had.

The names and description are all in Chinese though, but I can tell a few of them: (Zhang Fei as king of hearts, Kongming a joker/and the back of cards, Xiahou Dun on the 10 of hearts, Guan Yu as king of spades, Huang Zhong as the 10 of spades, Liu Bei as the ace of spades, Dian Wei [or at least a guy with two halbreds on his back] on the 6 of clubs).
性高潮枪
"Cheap sandal-maker! Do you always send your little bastard to the field?
If I call my little yellowbeard Cao Zhang over, he'll make meatballs of him!"
- Mengde
Lu Xun
Crown Prince of Shen Zhou

Location: Drinking wine, writing poems, and spending time with my concubines

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:30 pm

Here's an interesting thing about these decks. They come in sets of two decks, so they could fit more characters in. An example is in one deck, the queen of clubs is Sun Quan, but in the other it is Sima Yan. But one thing that is intriguing is that the aces, jokers, and kings are the same in both decks. Cao Cao, for example, is the ace of spades in both decks. I guess they wanted to keep the "necessary" characters in both decks, and then vary the other less important officers.

For what it's worth, the "necessary" officers they decided to keep in both decks are Emperors Ling and Xian, Cao Cao, Liu Bei, Sun Ce, Zhuge Liang, Guan Yu, Zhou Yu, Zhao Yun and Zhang Fei.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium