Romance of the Three Kingdoms Playing Cards

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Morg » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:31 pm

Lady Wu wrote:In case it's not obvious, the back of the cards is a part of a painting of the 3 brothers fighting Lu Bu.

It's an awseome picture, I've seen a large poster sized print of it which was sorely tempting.
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:00 pm

Lady Wu wrote:I have the exact same deck as what James has (it's different from the one in the Ebay link). Mine is a set of 2 decks in a fancy box, and I scored this find in the Hong Kong International airport ($120HKD, about $15USD, not too bad!).

I like how the jokers are Emperors Xian and Ling. :twisted:

Ok thats annoying...considering I was going all over the airport to find ROTK related content...all I got was a Guan Yu statue.
Anyone going to Hong Kong in near future? I will wire you the money! :lol:
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:56 pm

Morg wrote:It's an awseome picture, I've seen a large poster sized print of it which was sorely tempting.

Was it for sale? :o

Ranbir wrote:Ok thats annoying...considering I was going all over the airport to find ROTK related content...all I got was a Guan Yu statue.

I found it in this little gift shop in one of the far ends of the airport. I've gone through HKG several times but that was the only one time I saw it....
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Morg » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:24 pm

Lady Wu wrote:
Morg wrote:It's an awseome picture, I've seen a large poster sized print of it which was sorely tempting.

Was it for sale? :o

Indeed it was. I can't remember the price, but I'm sure it wasn't that expensive considering. BTW, there is a small boxset of those figures you like too, it contains about 8-10 figures instead of 55.
Morg
The Man

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:23 pm

Sounds like the set of 10 that I have. (;) at Lady Wu)

The only kind of fun Three Kingdoms collectible thing I have seen around somewhere was a big wall poster of a traditional painting of Guan Yu stroking his beard. I'm not a huge fan of Guan Yu, so I didn't get it. If they had a Kongming or a Mengde, now...
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Zhilong » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:08 am

Check out the bidding so far:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws3/eBayISAPI.dll ... 2230024713

A battle between GongJin & KongMing! :lol:

USD$15 sounds expensive for a set of cards. I think i'll have a lookout when if i go to Hong Kong in August. Mainlaind China is probably the best place for cheapskates like me! 8-)

I'm after the set with Sima as the Queens. That is simply too funny. Is he wearing the dress KongMing gave him? I take it that means there are no ladies on the cards since Sima has taken over the Queens?
"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:14 am

Kong Zhengshu wrote:The only kind of fun Three Kingdoms collectible thing I have seen around somewhere was a big wall poster of a traditional painting of Guan Yu stroking his beard. I'm not a huge fan of Guan Yu, so I didn't get it. If they had a Kongming or a Mengde, now...

I saw a large red statue of Guan Yu when I was at Epcot a year ago. The folks there wanted about 75 bucks for him, so I declined. The closest I've gotten to Cao Cao memorilabelia is his commentary in my copy of the Art of War.

As for the cards, might one be able to find them in a speciality Chinese store, or at a place like World Market?
"To the meaningless French idealisms of Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity, we oppose the German realisms of Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery."
- Prince Bernhard von Bulow, German Chancellor 1900-09 (attrib.)
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

Unread postby Morg » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:40 am

Kong Zhengshu wrote:Sounds like the set of 10 that I have. (;) at Lady Wu)

Is this it?

The only kind of fun Three Kingdoms collectible thing I have seen around somewhere was a big wall poster of a traditional painting of Guan Yu stroking his beard. I'm not a huge fan of Guan Yu, so I didn't get it. If they had a Kongming or a Mengde, now...

The wall posters (especially the very big ones) can be really nice. This Zhuge Liang one is nice (note the dragon in the clouds):

As is this one:
although I'm not sure who it is exactly. It came from a museum in Chengdu and is definitely 3K. I'm sure I've seen more posters by the same artist.

There is so much merchandise available but so little of it makes it to the West. Let's face it, love Guan Yu or hate him, everyone needs one of these:

There are even Dynasty Warriors costumes out there :shock:
Morg
The Man

Unread postby Zhilong » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:01 am

Oh i tried lifting one of those Guan Du's as a kid. It was so heavy that i had to let go or be dragged down with it. I think the result would be much the same today. :lol:
"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:10 pm

Morg wrote:
Kong Zhengshu wrote:Sounds like the set of 10 that I have. (;) at Lady Wu)

Is this it?

Yep, that's the one, although mine seems painted differently. Guan Yu's face isn't as red as that in my set (and no, it's not just a function of the lighting--my Guan Yu's face's redness is almost imperceptible in comparison with the other characters). I wonder who makes these things?

Morg wrote:The wall posters (especially the very big ones) can be really nice. This Zhuge Liang one is nice (note the dragon in the clouds):

I agree, they're awesome. If I could have found a nice wall-hanging of a character other than Guan Yu I would have snatched it up. The closest thing to a nice poster I have is a huge wall-map of China that was sent to me, free of charge, by the Chinese embassy in Ottawa.

To speak to the cards: if anyone here decides to take a trip to Hong Kong, let us all know so we can pool our money and you can buy them out! Hahah.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium