Romance of the Three Kingdoms Playing Cards

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Wizardman » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:04 am

James wrote:
Kong Zhengshu wrote:Get those cards scanned James, so I can print them off. :lol:

Is James lifeless enough to scan the whole deck?
... Perhaps he is? Hmm...

It's one of those times where boredom can be good for everyone. :D

Anyway, those would be interesting to find, and I'd buy a pair if I ever came across them.
Huang Zhong: Are you calling me old?!
Wei Yan: ...Yes.
Huang Zhong: Liu Bei! I demand you kill him!
Liu Bei: Well it's... true...
Wizardman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lafeel » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:37 am

*smiles broadly*
Well if that isn't a sight to cheer up a long term fan. Thanks for sharing.
Lafeel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:27 am

I have the exact same deck as what James has (it's different from the one in the Ebay link). Mine is a set of 2 decks in a fancy box, and I scored this find in the Hong Kong International airport ($120HKD, about $15USD, not too bad!).

I like how the jokers are Emperors Xian and Ling. :twisted:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:41 am

James, if the aces are all the rulers of the various kingdoms, who would be the fourth ace? Is it Sima Yan?
"To the meaningless French idealisms of Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity, we oppose the German realisms of Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery."
- Prince Bernhard von Bulow, German Chancellor 1900-09 (attrib.)
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:43 am

The key to success in this kind of situation is owning two identical decks of cards. That way you can have a nice "keeper" set, and a set with which to play. I'll be picking up two when I next fly in to Hong Kong.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:05 am

In my set:
Ace of Hearts = Liu Bei (or Liou Bey as they spelt it :roll: ) (James can you scan this one in? It's a really nice picture of Liu Bei, despite my anti-Liu Bei biases :wink: ).
Ace of Clubs = Sun Ce (it's an ok pic)
Ace of Diamonds = Zhuge Liang (Chu-Ko Liang). Not a bad pic, but pretty standard. (Since when did he become a ruler?)

Sun Quan only gets to be Queen of Spades. That's intolerable.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby James » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:36 am

Cao Zhi wrote:James, if the aces are all the rulers of the various kingdoms, who would be the fourth ace? Is it Sima Yan?

Hehe... who else? See below. Sima Yan is the Queen of Clubs. Sima Yi is the Queen of Spades... as a Hearts player, that’s only too fitting.

Kong Zhengshu wrote:The key to success in this kind of situation is owning two identical decks of cards. That way you can have a nice "keeper" set, and a set with which to play. I'll be picking up two when I next fly in to Hong Kong.

This is my goal... I very much want a second set so I can actually play with it... I couldn’t bring myself to murder the current set I have, as I have no easy way to replace it. :(

Lady Wu wrote:In my set:
Ace of Hearts = Liu Bei (or Liou Bey as they spelt it :roll: ) (James can you scan this one in? It's a really nice picture of Liu Bei, despite my anti-Liu Bei biases :wink: ). [...]
Sun Quan only gets to be Queen of Spades. That's intolerable.

Haha... I’m loving the people they made queens.
As requested, the most excellent Liu Bei portrait (along with the back of the cards). There are some others which are absolutely wonderful as well. Lady Wu, by the way, if you get a chance to pick up some more decks please do let me know, I’ll gladly buy a few from you.

Image Image
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:48 am

You know what, in one of my decks, all 4 queens are the Sima's. Sun Quan isn't even in there! If I find out who made these cards.... :evil:

In case it's not obvious, the back of the cards is a part of a painting of the 3 brothers fighting Lu Bu.

The line under Cao Cao reads: "Able statesman in a time of peace, treacherous villain in a time of chaos."
Zhuge Liang: "Extraordinary genius of the times, super-human in his strategies, he compared himself to Guan [Ling] and Yue [Yi]"
Liu Bei: "Most wise, most virtuous, compassionate and righteous, his dream is to uphold the Han"
Lady Wu

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:55 am

Now I want a deck for my own! That is what E-Bay is for, I suppose. Now, can anyone please enlighten us as to which characters grace the faces of each of the cards? Are there any events (like Chibi or Yiling) as well as officers?
"To the meaningless French idealisms of Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity, we oppose the German realisms of Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery."
- Prince Bernhard von Bulow, German Chancellor 1900-09 (attrib.)
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:33 am

Seven at One Stroke wrote:
James wrote:
Kong Zhengshu wrote:The set on EBay is actually 4 decks. The one on the bottom left is a Three Kingdoms set (I presume that's the one Ranbir thought looked like Kongming, too).

Why not... I just placed a bid on it (te-hee). The shipping is insane though...

The upper left deck is from A Dream of Red Mansion (Hong Lou Meng), the character on the joker card is Jia Baoyu; the upper right deck is from the Water Margin (Shui Hu), the character shown is Song Jiang; the lower left deck is indeed ROTK, and the joker - of course - is Kongming; the lower right deck is the Journey to the West, and the joker is the Buddha! :lol:

Ah, James must get the sets....one of them is Journey to the West!!!
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium