Whats the deal wit all the Ma Chao haters?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Whats the deal wit all the Ma Chao haters?

Unread postby Tercel_Serenium » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:48 pm

I've been readin alot of posts in here and ive come to the conclusion that Ma Chao isn't liked all that much. Mentions of him not being honourable, him being a coward. Whats the deal? I didn't find him to be that way, i mean honour, hes fighting for his father isn't he?
I Love Staring Death in the Face and Demanding Life! - Sun Ce
Tercel_Serenium
Apprentice

Unread postby Dian Ziman » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:06 pm

The thing is that it was Ma chao who caused Ma tengs death.
Dian Ziman
Student

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:03 pm

Yeah, Ma Chao did cause his fathers death. That is pretty much his only claim to fame. He did not do much after his campaign on Cao Cao. He was not very active after that, so people don't like him for the lack of exploits after joining Shu. Going by the book many Wei supporters dislike him because he almost killed Cao Cao, and helped Liu Bei into the Riverlands. And some Shu supporters might not like him because he caused the death of his father, which is not very honorable. And for this reason Wuists may not like him.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:07 pm

How did he cause the death of his father?

I haven't reached that far in the book, and the only thing the games tell me is that Cao Cao had Ma Teng killed.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Lady Zhuge » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:19 pm

HiddenRanbir wrote:How did he cause the death of his father?

He attacked the capital while his father was there.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

¡°ÈËÉú²»¿ÉÄÜÄÇôƽµ££¬ ÄÇôÏ뵱Ȼ£» ²»¿ÉÓÀÔ¶ÔÚÏÊ»¨¶È¹ý¡£ ÕýÈçÄǾäÀÏ»°£º ¡®ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓ¶«£¬ ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓÎ÷¡£¡¯¡±

- ÌƹúÇ¿
Lady Zhuge
Kongming's One and Only

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:21 pm

Maybe a bit more detail? :P

He attacked the capital in which Ma Teng was residing, and so Ma Teng died in the battle?
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Lady Zhuge » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:33 pm

HiddenRanbir wrote:Maybe a bit more detail? :P

He attacked the capital in which Ma Teng was residing, and so Ma Teng died in the battle?

Ma Chao attacked the capital(where Cao Cao was) and so Cao Cao had Ma Teng executed.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

¡°ÈËÉú²»¿ÉÄÜÄÇôƽµ££¬ ÄÇôÏ뵱Ȼ£» ²»¿ÉÓÀÔ¶ÔÚÏÊ»¨¶È¹ý¡£ ÕýÈçÄǾäÀÏ»°£º ¡®ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓ¶«£¬ ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓÎ÷¡£¡¯¡±

- ÌƹúÇ¿
Lady Zhuge
Kongming's One and Only

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:53 pm

Ma Teng was involved in a plot to kill Cao Cao and was in the capital to do so. Ma Chao attacked the capital while his father was there and Cao Cao had Ma Teng executed.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ma Chao of Shu » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:59 pm

Everyone who says that Ma Chao caused the death of his father are absolutely wrong! Ma Chao was merely following the orders from his father. Ma Teng would have attacked Cao Cao anyway but he was summoned to the capital. Instead of just attacking he said to himself, "I can just assassinate Cao Cao this way." When Ma Chao attacked Cao Cao, Ma Teng did not say, "Ma Chao, you disobeyed orders!!!" and was killed. Ma Chao was carrying on his father's ambition to fight the evil that was Cao Cao. That's right you Weists. If you didn't know, Cao Cao was EVIL!!! Ma Chao fought against the evil that was plagueing the land just as his father would have done. Of course there are risks in war and Ma Teng became a causualty in the fight against the common evil.
Justice is with us! We shall prevail! -Ma Chao
Ma Chao of Shu
Initiate

Unread postby didier » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:38 am

Ma Chao was however a very fierce mounted warrior and leader. For his feats he deserved to be of the 5 Tiger Generals, though probably the lesser of them.

He was possibly also disliked coz he considered attacking Liu Bei when he was trying to capture Shu. He was unsure about what to do, looking foolish.

However, you have to feel sorry for MC. Read this from the online SGYY.

Three attacks at once were too much for Ma Chao, and he fled, his force in utter confusion. He retreated all that night and at dawn reached his own city of Jicheng. He hailed the gate, but a flight of arrows was the response. Soon after, Liang Kuan and Zhao Qu appeared and reviled him from the ramparts above. More than this, they dragged his wife, Lady Yang, up upon the wall, hacked her before his face, and threw the bloody body at his feet. They followed up this by the murder in like manner of his three sons and other members of his family to the number of ten and more. And all their dead bodies were flung from the wall. :cry:

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Guan Yu once said "I do not fear death, it is but my journey home". That comforts me for the distant future, but I want to stay and play Three Kingdoms games.
didier
Scholar

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium