Sun Ce’s actions if he ruled instead of Sun Quan

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Sun Ce’s actions if he ruled instead of Sun Quan

Unread postby Shuya » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:55 pm

This Is A Topic That Has Had Been On My Mind For A Time

What Would Sun Ce Do Differntly That Sun Quan Did In His Rule
(if that makes no sense. In What Situations In Both Their Lives Would Have Done Things Differntly)

for example

sun ce would of handled the Chi Bi differntly by etc
Sun Quan would have done etc

(never mind age or fact that sun ce was dead :P)
Shuya
Sage

Unread postby Exar Kun » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:00 am

I doubt Sun Ce would have made it to a Chi Bi.
He was already thinking about attacking Cao Cao when he died and that is akin to suicide.He'd have taken Wu straight to the grave IMO.
For unfortunate he hadn't lived longer. :D
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:08 am

How would Sun Ce attacking Cao Cao at that time be suicide? At the time that Sun Ce was thinking about attacking Cao Cao, Yuan Shao, Zhang Xiu and Liu Bei were all still active powers in the north, contesting with Cao Cao.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby MaChaoofshu » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:03 am

Sun Ce knows more about Sun Zi Bing Fa and is also very good at fighting skills.However,Sun Ce gets angry easily but Sun Quan tries to remain calm at all time.
MaChaoofshu
Apprentice

Unread postby Chao Yun » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:52 am

I would have thought Sun Ce would have fought better therefore establishing a better knigdom.
I serve Liu Pei and him only
I am the great Chao Yun,just come and fight me
Chao Yun
Student

Unread postby Tercel_Serenium » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:20 pm

I think Sun Ce would have been a better leader for he is more ambitious, and that counts (Cao Cao was ambitious) and Sun Ce wouldn't be so rash for Zhou Yu would be able to keep him calm as his strategist, best friend and sworn bro.
I Love Staring Death in the Face and Demanding Life! - Sun Ce
Tercel_Serenium
Apprentice

Unread postby Kickwhit » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:35 pm

How would Sun Ce have handled it? Easy, he wouldnt have. SUn Ce was on his way to Chang An when he died. There wouldnt BE a Wei. WU would have been the dominant force. Sun Ce would in all likelihood have triumphed in Chang An and from there it really doesnt matter what he did with the emperor. Either he would ahve dethroned him on the spot or he would have become a stronger version of Cao CAo.
I do not suffer from insanity; I'm enjoying every minute of it!
Go To My Site Or Ill Eat Your Soul!
Orgy of Man Crazies.com! The best site on the net!
Kickwhit
Academic

Unread postby Zhilong » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:45 pm

Sun Ce knows more about Sun Zi Bing Fa and is also very good at fighting skills.

Which General worth their salt hadn't read a military manual or 3? :lol:

I think the general consensus is that Sun Ce is more agressive. Consider how long it took for Sun Quan to take Jingzhou. The first time, when Liu Bei arrives he even cedes what he had already taken. Someone in Wei once said that Sun Quan will not move his troops when he is not sure of gaining advantage even to save his own followers.

Being more agressive does not assure success though. For example, Cao Cao could have lost all at Guan Du and Deng Ai could have been exterminated in Shu. However, being daring also means there is a chance to succeed and sometimes when you do succeed the success can be quite resounding. But when you lose, you might lose everything you have.

Also you have to consider Sun Ce's own position at the time. Wu was far from pacified as evident from all the rebellions and uprisings throughout Sun Quan's role. Could he have just left home and gone for Cao Cao? Consider that although Cao Cao suffered defeats sometimes, they were never fatal. Is Sun Ce a match for Cao Cao?
"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Unread postby RyoHazuki » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:52 pm

What would have Sun Ce have done diffrently? My answer;Who knows?

Sun Ce was one his way too to challenge Cao Cao,fair enough.But how would we know that If he had lived through the assasination that anything would have changed? If we learned anything in by Guan Du its that even the superior fall sometimes,and as someone said Wu would have been considered stronger at this point due too Cao Cao's enemies.

But whos to say that Guo Jia or Xun Yu wouldn't have come up with a great strategy to counter Wu's attack? What would happen if Sun Ce had caught a fatal illness? What if Zhou Yu had been killed in the assault? Because we dont know these for sure,we cant really question it.

Its things that we will never know.We know that Zhou Yu and Guo Jia were smart but they were never really pit in a battle of wits so we'll never know how a battle with Wu and Wei had Sun Ce lived,would have went so its useless thinking about it.However if we are going by who had the biggest chance in it,it would probably been Wu but thats not saying much at all.

Summing up;The odds of an Army doesnt acertain the victor.Its the brains behind it.
RyoHazuki
Student

Unread postby Kickwhit » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:54 pm

Is Sun Ce a match for Cao Cao?

Cao Cao himself doesnt think so, saying of Sun Ce "He has profited by the reputation of his father Sun Jian. Sun Ce is not a real hero."

However, a few chapters later, He states "He is a lion difficult to contend with."

Now, when Sun CE died, as I stated, he was marching on Chang An... had he lived... I have no doubt that the teaching of his father and works of ZHou Yu would prevail. Zhou Yu, you must remember, was largely responsible for Cao Caos later great defeat at Red Wall. Back in those earlier days, Cao Cao would likely not have outnumbered them anywhere near as much he did at Chi Bi. Sun CE would have won, no doubt about it.
I do not suffer from insanity; I'm enjoying every minute of it!
Go To My Site Or Ill Eat Your Soul!
Orgy of Man Crazies.com! The best site on the net!
Kickwhit
Academic

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium