Deng Ai

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Deng Ai

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:33 am

What would happen if Deng Ai had not been killed. Do you think he would try to fight the Sima's to restore the Wei Dynasty, fight the Sima's saying he would restore Wei and make his own empire, or simply be a commander in the Jin dynasty.

I think he has some of the qualities of Zhuge Liang, so he would fight the Sima's for the sole purpose of restoring Wei.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Devilrai » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:56 am

It would have been nice to see a great warrior like Deng Ai to fight for the restoration of the Wei Dynasty, but there is two flaws...1) I don't think he would go up against the grandson of Sima Yi, and it was Sima Yi who made Deng Ai into a front-line warrior when he was taken in by his force.
2)...old age, he was in his mid 80's when the Jin came into power.

But for there is some good flaws, despite his old age he could still have fought, just look at Zhao Yun or Huang Zhong.

Overall, I it would have been nice to see him alive longer to see what he may have done, but my answer to this topic, would be that he would help Jin to continue to grows its pwer across China.
Devilrai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Wizardman » Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:51 pm

Deng Ai cold've been a pretty good power of Jin is he wasn't killed,but of couse, you have to take age into account. He probably wouldn't have done much. (was wouldn't be his fault) Same for Jiang Wei in a sense, too. I don't think he would have tried to stop the Jin rebellion since he was pro-Sima.
Huang Zhong: Are you calling me old?!
Wei Yan: ...Yes.
Huang Zhong: Liu Bei! I demand you kill him!
Liu Bei: Well it's... true...
Wizardman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:10 pm

didn't the Sima's want him dead??? If I remember correctly it was a Jin officer that killed him.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lu Wei » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:29 pm

I thought it was Zhong Hui's men that killed him.
Lu Wei
Langzhong

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:02 pm

The Simas only wanted him dead after the little plot to make him look untrustworthy. They thought he was a threat to their power, but I don't think he actually had any aspirations to the throne. It was just a classic case of a little divide and conquer plot combined with paranoia from above.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Asellas » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:03 pm

Deng Ai was killed by Wei Guan and Tian Xu together with his son Deng Zhong.
I don't think Deng Ai could have prevented Wei being overrun by Jin, but maybe have helped Wei to have lasted a bit longer and fight against the followers and Sima's of the Jin Dynasty.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Lu Wei » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:12 pm

Kong, it was Zhong Hui who initiated that plot, wasn't it? Does anyone know how old Zhong Hui was when he died?
Lu Wei
Langzhong

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:04 pm

I believe that the Sima's wanted him dead like Kong said, and Zhong Hui and his men carried put the plot. My point is that the Sima's try to assassinate him just after he released from his imprisonment, so wouldn't Deng Ai want to fight them, from my my understanding the troops were very loyal to him, so wouldn't they follow him?
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lu Wei » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:26 pm

No Dian_Wei, Kong was stating that Deng Ai was tricked, I believe by Zhong Hui and Jiang Wei, who knew he would be a threat to their rebellion.
Lu Wei
Langzhong

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium