Ma Chao SGYY Biography

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Asellas » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:27 pm

Ma Chao, the son of Ma Teng, was raised in Xiliang Province. His father and Han Sui were trying to capture the rebels Wang Fang and Li Meng. After the words “Those are traitors! Who will capture them? A youth dressed in white, carrying a long spear whose eyes shone like shooting stars riding out onto the battlefield. Ma Chao was only 17 at this time, Wang Fang didn't think anything of it and set fourth to challenge him. After many bouts, the spear of Ma Chao was thrust into Wang Fang killing him instantly. Enraged, Li Meng pursued him to avenge his fallen comrade and Ma Chao was completely unaware of Li Meng's pursuit.

"You are followed!" cried Ma Teng to Ma Chao, Ma Chao now knew he was being followed but pretended to turn a blind eye. The moment Li Meng got in range; Ma Chao swung his spear, wheeled around and with fierce strength knocked Li Meng off his saddle, so now the troops of Wang Fang and Li Meng were leaderless, then fled the battlefield. Back at Ma Teng and Han Sui's camp, Li Meng was later beheaded.

Ma Chao in Xiliang, received a letter from Zhuge Liang about moving to Tong Pass; so then Cao Cao couldn't launch an expedition south. One night in camp, Ma Chao had a dream where he was laying on the white plains and tigers were biting him. Unable to interpret what it could mean, he told his generals; and one general said the portent was evil. This general was none other than Pang De. "The uncle and his sons are dead!" cried a voice from behind: It was Ma Teng's nephew, Ma Dai. Ma Chao gripped his teeth, his eyes filled with rage and hatred for Cao Cao. The horses were saddled and mounted, the infantry was assembled. Ma Chao was summoned by Han Sui and showed him a letter he received from Cao Cao promising to give Han Sui the Lordship of Xiliang as a reward for sending Ma Chao a prisoner to the capital.
Han Sui and his eight commanders, whom had eight divisions, both prepared their troops which consisted of around 200,000 troops. In Ma Chao's army, he had generals Pang De and Ma Dai, Han Sui's eight commanders were Yang Qiu, Cheng Yin, Hou Xuan, Liang Xing, Cheng Yi, Li Kan, Ma Wan, and Zhang Han. With this many forces, they marched to Changan. Zhong Yao as the governor, sent a fleet messenger to Cao Cao, and then led his force onto the battlefield. During the 10 days of siege of Changan; the capital of the Western Han, Pang De proposed a plan. Pang De's plan about relaxing but at the same time saving supplies rather than keep going with the siege of Changan; which would use them up, the plan was executed after Ma Chao gave approval for the plan to be executed.
Zhong Yao's younger brother, Zhong Jing was leading the forces on the right gate, one night; Zhong Jing saw a moving flame, thinking something was suspicious he investigated then from out of the blue an attacker came, "Here is Pang De!". Zhong Ying was eventually slain, the gate keeper was dismissed, the gates had been destroyed then like a flood stormed into the camp were the forces of Ma Chao an Han Sui. Zhong Yao fled to the tong pass, leaving Changan to be occupied by Ma Chao.
When Xu Huang and Cao Hong eventually came out of the Tong Pass after Ma Chao's men fired insults about the Cao Family, they all fled and when they both went out to pursue, Ma Dai attacked Xu Huang. Cao Hong and Xu Huang couldn't flee for two bodies of troops had appeared. Barely able to escape, Cao Hong and Xu Huang and some of their forces left the Tong Pass and went to the main camp of Cao Cao, Tong Pass was now lost.

Ma Chao marched to Xiabian to clash with Cao Hong's forces consisting of about 50,000 men, he [Ma Chao] dispatched Wu Lan to reconnoitre, but soon fell in with Cao Hong and was hoping to retire but was advised against making this move. Ren Kai thought it would be a good idea to challenge the young leader; Cao Hong and Ren Kai's challenge was accept but in the 3rd bout, Ren Kai was slain thus giving Cao Hong the advantage and Wu Lan was pressed back. When reporting to Ma Chao about the loss, Wu Lan was blamed but boldly placed the blame on Ren Kai for marching towards and challenging Cao Hong without orders.
"Defend the Pass most carefully. Do not engage," said Ma Chao. Ma Chao sent a report to the capital if Chengdu and awaited orders for a further action. Cao Hong suspected some ruse when Ma Chao remained so long inactive, and retired to Nanzheng.

Cao Cao was in Xie Valley, Zhuge Liang dispatched Ma Chao with several other units to harass and hasten Cao Cao's retreat. For this reason the retreating army had to keep on the move. Cao Cao was suffering from his wound, the main force kept fighting his army off soon making Cao Cao's army dispirited. Now, Liu Bei started the Five Tiger Generals and Ma Chao was included in the powerful and famous five which also had Zhao Yun, Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and Huang Zhong.

Zhuge Liang soon wanted to attack the Qiang tribes for assaults on the Shu territories [222 A.D], using Ma Chao's reputation with the Qiang whom were on very friendly terms with his forefathers: hailed Ma Chao as "General Who Possesses Heavenly Prestige" so Ma Chao was assigned to to hold the Xi Ping pass and send ambush parties to many points of the field where the Qiang could launch attacks. In the year of 225 A.D Ma Chao was also holding position between Wei and Hanzhong but later on, Ma Chao died of illness and was greatly mourned by the Prime Minister, Zhuge Liang. [1]

[1] I found it hard to talk about his death, I looked through all the chapters and I only managed to find out when Kongming said "I have lost my friend, Ma Chao to illness" but it didn't say anything about Ma Chao's death before then so the description about how he died is short.

That's the edited version. I'm still trying to see why Cao Cao was in Xie Valley, as well as events involving Ma Chao between the aftermath of Tong Gate and Xie Valley. I could write a COB but my knowledge on history isn't broad.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:35 pm

Asellas wrote:As I said by PM, thanks James for commenting on it.
I'm gonan change it all around with the help and suggestions you have posted for practice which will help me. :D
I'm doing huangfu Song now, then Ma Teng; the more I do the better I get.

I enjoyed reading this one, and personally found nothing wrong with it at all. I'm really looking forward to the Huangfu Song bio, I've always been interested in him but could never find too much detailed info.
Very nice work.
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Asellas » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:53 pm

Ma Chao (Mengqi)
馬超 (孟起)
(AD 175–222)
Sanguo Yanyi biography.

Ma Chao, the son of Ma Teng, was raised in Xiliang Province. His father and Han Sui were trying to capture the rebels Wang Fang and Li Meng: both vassals of Li Jue whom Ma Teng was opposing. After the words “Those are traitors! Who will capture them? A youth dressed in white, carrying a long spear whose eyes shone like shooting stars riding out onto the battlefield. Ma Chao was only 17 at this time, Wang Fang didn't think anything of it and set fourth to challenge him. After many bouts, the spear of Ma Chao was thrust into Wang Fang killing him instantly. Enraged, Li Meng pursued him to avenge his fallen comrade and Ma Chao was completely unaware of Li Meng's pursuit.

"You are followed!" cried Ma Teng to Ma Chao, Ma Chao now knew he was being followed but pretended to turn a blind eye. The moment Li Meng got in range; Ma Chao swung his spear, wheeled around and with fierce strength knocked Li Meng off his saddle, so now the troops of Wang Fang and Li Meng were leaderless, then fled the battlefield. Back at Ma Teng and Han Sui's camp, Li Meng was later beheaded.

Ma Chao in Xiliang, received a letter from Zhuge Liang about moving to Tong Gate; so then Cao Cao couldn't launch an expedition south. One night in camp, Ma Chao had a dream where he was laying on the white plains and tigers were biting him. Unable to interpret what it could mean, he told his generals; and one general said the portent was evil. This general was none other than Pang De. "The uncle and his sons are dead!" cried a voice from behind: It was Ma Teng's nephew, Ma Dai. Ma Chao gripped his teeth, his eyes filled with rage and hatred for Cao Cao. The horses were saddled and mounted, the infantry was assembled. Ma Chao was summoned by Han Sui and showed him a letter he received from Cao Cao promising to give Han Sui the Lordship of Xiliang as a reward for sending Ma Chao a prisoner to the capital.

Han Sui and his eight commanders, whom had eight divisions, both prepared their troops which consisted of around 200,000 troops. In Ma Chao's army, the generals Pang De and Ma Dai were present. Han Sui's eight commanders were Yang Qiu, Cheng Yin, Hou Xuan, Liang Xing, Cheng Yi, Li Kan, Ma Wan and Zhang Han. The forces of the divisions marched to Changan. Zhong Yao was the governor at this time, sent a fleet messenger to Cao Cao, and then led his force onto the battlefield. During the 10 days of the siege of Changan; the capital of the Western Han, Pang De proposed a plan. Pang De's plan was about relaxing the troops, but at the same time, saving supplies rather than to keep going with the siege of Changan; which would use the supplies up. This strategically brilliant plan was executed after Ma Chao gave approval for the plan.
Zhong Yao's younger brother Zhong Jing, was leading the forces on the right gate, one night; Zhong Jing saw a moving flame, thinking something was suspicious, he investigated. From out of nowehere, a voice ommited a fearsome announcement, "Here is Pang De!". Zhong Ying was eventually slain by the surprise attack from Pang De and his troops, the gate keeper was dismissed, the gates had been destroyed and the forces of Ma Chao and Han Sui stormed into the camp. Zhong Yao fled to the Tong Gate, leaving Changan to be occupied by Ma Chao.

When Xu Huang and Cao Hong eventually came out of the Tong Gate after Ma Chao's men fired insults about the Cao Family, they all fled and when they both went out to pursue, Ma Dai attacked Xu Huang. Cao Hong and Xu Huang couldn't flee for two bodies of troops had appeared. Barely able to escape, Cao Hong and Xu Huang and some of their forces left the Tong Gate and went to the main camp of Cao Cao, Tong Pass was lost.

Ma Chao marched to Xiabian to clash with Cao Hong's forces which consisted of about 50,000 men, he [Ma Chao] dispatched Wu Lan to reconnoitre, but soon fell in with Cao Hong and was hoping to retire but was advised against making this move. Ren Kai thought it would be a good idea to challenge the young leader; Cao Hong, and Ren Kai's challenge was accepted, but in the 3rd bout, Ren Kai was slain thus giving Cao Hong the advantage, this enabled him to press back Wu Lan's forces. When reporting to Ma Chao about the loss, Wu Lan was blamed but boldly placed the blame on Ren Kai for marching towards and challenging Cao Hong without orders.
"Defend the Pass most carefully. Do not engage," said Ma Chao. Ma Chao sent a report to Chengdu: the capital of Shu, awaited orders for a further action. Cao Hong suspected some ruse when Ma Chao remained so long inactive, and retired to Nanzheng.

Having been defeated at Hanzhong, Cao Cao retired to the Xie Valley. Zhuge Liang dispatched Ma Chao with several other units to harass and hasten Cao Cao's retreat. For this reason the retreating army had to keep on the move. Cao Cao was suffering from his wound, the main force kept fighting his army off soon making Cao Cao's army dispirited. Now, Liu Bei started the Five Tiger Generals and Ma Chao was included in the powerful and famous five which also had Zhao Yun, Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and Huang Zhong.

Zhuge Liang soon wanted to attack the Qiang tribes for assaults on the Shu territories [222 A.D], using Ma Chao's reputation with the Qiang whom were on very friendly terms with his forefathers, hailed Ma Chao as "General Who Possesses Heavenly Prestige". Ma Chao was assigned to hold the Xi Ping pass and send ambush parties to many points of the field where the Qiang could launch attacks. In the year A.D. 255, Ma Chao held a position between Wei and Hanzhong, however, Ma Chao died of illness and was greatly mourned by the Prime Minister, Zhuge Liang. [1]

[1] I found it hard to talk about his death, I looked through all the chapters and I only managed to find out when Kongming said "I have lost my friend Ma Chao to illness" but it didn't say anything about Ma Chao's death before then, so the description about how he died is short.

------------------------------------------------------

--I've finally edited and peiced together all the paragraphs, including the reason why Cao Cao was in Xie Valley. This is the final version, please pray tell if any errors are spotted.
I'm going to rewrite the Huangfu Song biography.
Last edited by Asellas on Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Winter is coming".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:14 am

As with the Huangfu Song bio, very nice job Asellas. It was cool to see in this entire thread how you have progressed as a writer in both your usage of proper vocabulary and punctuation. I remember reading the first posting of this bio when I was a mere lurker here. You have come a long way, and that's not saying you were bad before by any means :wink:

I'm not a big Ma Chao fan, but I'm not a Ma Chao hater either, he's neither here nor there with me, but a valuable and interesting general nonetheless. Frankly what I feel about him doesn't matter in this thread's context anyhow so I don't know why I even wrote it :lol: I really like the part about his youth when he stepped up to take care of the rebels, it kinda sets the tone for him. Well done.
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:29 am

Yeah not bad! At the beginning though, Ma Teng was not trying to eliminate Wang Fang and Li Meng. He was marching against Li Jue. Ma Chao was only indeed only 17 at the time, which should give you the info you need on his birthdate or at least his approximate birthdate (check out the kongming.net battle chronology and search for the clash between Ma Teng and Li Jue). I think your ending was quite good by the way. The last two sentances work very well. :P
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Asellas » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:46 am

SlickSlicer wrote:Yeah not bad! At the beginning though, Ma Teng was not trying to eliminate Wang Fang and Li Meng. He was marching against Li Jue. Ma Chao was only indeed only 17 at the time, which should give you the info you need on his birthdate or at least his approximate birthdate (check out the kongming.net battle chronology and search for the clash between Ma Teng and Li Jue). I think your ending was quite good by the way. The last two sentances work very well. :P

Thanks. I'll include that too though. I've edited his death date.

Thanks Slick and Lexus! :D
"Winter is coming".
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium