Zhuge Liang's Inventions

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:34 am

Well nobody uses crossbows now and during chaos, the knowledge of some of his stuff got lost.

One of his inventions, a compass cart, was deemed impossible to make again, Ma Jun managed and one latter guy did but nobody has managed since to recreate it
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Guan Yan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:38 am

wow he is quite the genius isnt he.
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:18 am

Ma Jun was indeed pretty amazing, we spoke about him in another thread about inventions and inventors. I think I started that ages ago!

I remember reading about his South facing cart, apparently it was a system of pulleys which meant that the arrow always faced South.

I imagine that the preciseness of such a set of pulleys is really hard to copy.

As for the Crossbow, or Zhuge Nu, this was actually a repeating crossbow with several bolts in a cartridge, almost like a modern gun. As to weather or not Zhuge Liang invented it/ how effective it was is pretty questionable. I think it's been said that the Zhuge Nu's range was really limited which wouldn't surprise me.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Shi Tong wrote:Ma Jun was indeed pretty amazing, we spoke about him in another thread about inventions and inventors. I think I started that ages ago!

I remember reading about his South facing cart, apparently it was a system of pulleys which meant that the arrow always faced South.

I imagine that the preciseness of such a set of pulleys is really hard to copy.

As for the Crossbow, or Zhuge Nu, this was actually a repeating crossbow with several bolts in a cartridge, almost like a modern gun. As to weather or not Zhuge Liang invented it/ how effective it was is pretty questionable. I think it's been said that the Zhuge Nu's range was really limited which wouldn't surprise me.

Well if that's how the Zhuge Nu would work, I would still think it could be used effectively (not that you were arguing that). For hit-and-run tactics, it would be massive.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:02 pm

I remember reading that they were used from the tops of siege ladders- seeing as they had the aid of gravity and were shot down the ladder against the attacker. You could get off a lot of shots without much exposure, not like a long bow.

But this is what I heard.. so how true it is I'm not sure! :lol:
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium