Zhuge Liang's Inventions

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhuge Liang's Inventions

Unread postby john_is_war » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:51 pm

Doing a research paper on the different strategists of the period ATM. I remember reading a while ago (I can't remember where for the life of me) that the same tactic done by Shu and Wu was redone by some English captain against France, I believe. Does this hold any bearing, and if it does, anyone have link to an article about it?
Also I remember reading about several of Zhuge's inventions, including wooden ox, flowing horse, and the chu-ko-nu. I've also read that he really didn't create the chu-ko-nu. So anyone have sources proving if he did/didn't create it? As well, did he have any other substantial inventions? And lastly, what was the flowing horse and wooden ox? I've heard the wooden ox was a mechanical, walking transport device, but I've also read it was a just a cleverly disguised cart on rails. Thanks in advance.
john_is_war
Tyro

Unread postby Marc » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:59 pm

Well, I can't really remember any example from history where the English used Kongming's tactics. Do you know what time period this was in?
As for other inventions, I can only think of the Arbalest, a kind of multi-arrow firing machine, and the Kongming Latern, which was pretty much along the same lines as a hot air balloon, using hot air to hover.
I think the Wooden Oxen was used to transport supplies, but I'm not sure if it was a cart or not, since I don't think it needed horses or drivers. So it may have been mechanical.
Last edited by Marc on Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Lady Zhuge » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:10 pm

From Kongming's SGZ bio: "Zhuge Liang was ingenious by nature. The innovation of the mechanised crossbow and construction of 'wooden oxen' and 'flowing horses' were both his ideas. His deductions on the art of the war and creation of the eight disposition plan grasped the essentials of their subjects. Zhuge Liang's discussions, teachings, correspondence and memorials are all worth examination and have been compiled in an alternate anthology."

This article about the recreation of the wooden oxen might be of interest to you: http://www.sinorama.com.tw/8511/511032e1.html
There is much speculation about what "mu niu liu ma" really was. Some say it was just a wheelbarrow while others believe it was much more complicated than that(i.e., a vehicle that could move on its own, etc).
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

¡°ÈËÉú²»¿ÉÄÜÄÇôƽµ££¬ ÄÇôÏ뵱Ȼ£» ²»¿ÉÓÀÔ¶ÔÚÏÊ»¨¶È¹ý¡£ ÕýÈçÄǾäÀÏ»°£º ¡®ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓ¶«£¬ ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓÎ÷¡£¡¯¡±

- ÌƹúÇ¿
Lady Zhuge
Kongming's One and Only

Unread postby Marc » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:14 pm

Can anyone tell me what the Great Zhuge Embankment was? I've heard it was some kind of invention or idea of Kongming's, but I don't know what it is.
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby hikarinoyami3 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:13 pm

Wasn't the great zhuge embankment a plan in battle?

I think it involved diverting water towards the enemy.

But I'm not too sure.
hikarinoyami3
Student

Unread postby Exar Kun » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:28 pm

Most invention sources actually give Zhuge Liang credit for inventing the wheelbarrow in the first place.
So from a hindsight historical perspective anyway,the wooden ox seems to be a wheelbarrow.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Iatyco » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:36 pm

I've also read that he really didn't create the chu-ko-nu.So anyone have sources proving if he did/didn't create it?

Some was found in early Chu tombs.

On the crossbow question, some of it was found in early chu tombs.

You may find this site useful.

http://www.atarn.org/chinese/rept_xbow.htm
Last edited by Iatyco on Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iatyco
Apprentice

Unread postby Stedfel » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:41 am

I believe the Nanman had Cho-Ku-Nos in their battle against Zhuge Liang, and some have been found in tombs, so I seriously doubt he invented them. As for the Wooden Ox, I don't believe it was a wheelbarrow. The wheelbarrow is a simple, easy to make device, so I believe that I can safely assume that the Ox was not a wheelbarrow.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Chuko Liang » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:05 am

I have not seen a source yet discrediting Zhuge as the inventor of the crossbow, though it is possible that it was merely his name attached the weapon (Cho-ko nu is another transliteration for Zhuge Nu which means Zhuge's Crossbow), such as with the Guan Dao even though Guan Yu would not have wielded one.

As for the ox, it is quite possible it was a wheelbarrow and several historical documents cite as being such. However, it would clearly have been an improvement upon the classical peasant wheelbarrow, perhaps closer to the modern three wheeled wheelbarrow, that would have allowed effective military supply transport.
Wait... you mean... the penguins aren't out to steal my soul??
Chuko Liang
Student

Unread postby Guan Yan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:10 am

If he's inventions were so good then why were they not used threw future chinese history.
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium