Zhang Liao's Reputation

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:50 am

Cherry Coke wrote:so Ive got a question...this covers some great stuff he did for Cao Cao...do the biographies ever mention how he got rated so highly in the first place? (ie did he do something really grand for a former lord?) I mean..for Cao Cao to trust him with so much responsibility right after just joining..maybe I misse dsomething :oops: it sucks that I can't read it for myself..then I'd remember better

Cherry, here is what Rafe de Crespigny's Biographical Dictionary of Later Han to the Three Kingdoms has to say about Zhang Liao's service before he joined Cao Cao:

TKTK wrote:Zhang Liao [Wenta] (165-222); Yanmen. Zhang Liao was originally a man of the Nie clan, claiming descent from Nie Yi of Former Han, but he changed his surname to avoid a vendetta. He became a local officer in the commandery, and was noted [for] his strength and ability as a fighting man.

Recruited to the staff of Ding Yuan, Inspector of Bing province, in 189 Zhang Liao accompanied Ding Yuan to Luoyang for He Jin's demonstration of strength against the eunuchs. He was sent to raise troops north of the Yellow River and collected a thousand men, but by the time he returned to the capital He Jin had been destroyed and Dong Zhuo had taken over power, killing Ding Yuan as a potential rival. Zhang Liao nonetheless took service with Lü Bu, assassin of his former master.

As Lü Bu was driven from the capital in 192, Zhang Liao accompanied him to the east. He became Chancellor of Lu in Xu province and was then named Administrator of Beidi; the latter title was meaningless, for Lü Bu had no hope of control in that distant region. He assisted Gao Shun to defeat Liu Bei and Cao Cao's general Xiahou Dun in 198, but when Cao Cao himself destroyed Lü Bu, Zhang Liao brought his men to surrender. He was appointed a General of the Household and enfeoffed as a secondary marquis.

The source for this is SGZ. It looks like Zhang Liao was recognized for both military and administrative ability fairly early in his career.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby zhuge liang is da best » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:28 pm

Zhang Liao was noted for He Fei, standing up against Lu Bu when they were captured by Cao Cao, he persuaded Guan Yu to surrender, helped Cao Cao pass at the Huarong Trial and he killen innumerable officers, the most famous being Taishi Ci
Zhou Yu: Heavens after making me, Zhou Yu, did you really have to make Zhuge Liang
zhuge liang is da best
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:18 pm

Zhuge Liang is da best accidentally gave me a thought. Zhang Liao is a Wei general that the novel likes, he becomes friends with Guan Yu, is shown as a man of honour, kills lots of generals, shown to be brave, there at many vital moments.

Now no doubt the historical Zhang Liao was a very good general but does some of his reputation linger from the novel? Does the novel's favour help push him higher up people's list of generals then if he had been like the novel Cao Ren?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:35 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Zhuge Liang is da best accidentally gave me a thought. Zhang Liao is a Wei general that the novel likes, he becomes friends with Guan Yu, is shown as a man of honour, kills lots of generals, shown to be brave, there at many vital moments.

Now no doubt the historical Zhang Liao was a very good general but does some of his reputation linger from the novel? Does the novel's favour help push him higher up people's list of generals then if he had been like the novel Cao Ren?
haha yes, in the drama "The Legend of Guan Gong"
Zhang Liao promises to never fight Guan Yu and was very honorable, I also to find him to be Guan Yu 2 or better than Guan Yu.

He was also the leader of Cao Cao's five general right? I dont think he fought against Shu a lot.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:46 pm

His achievement at Hefei is his main one I can think off, but it was an impresive win, so what where his other major victories?
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:21 pm

Zhang Liao's SGZ

Defeated Mei Cheng and Chen Lan despite facing difficult terrain, played important parts in defeating Yuan Shang and Lu Fan
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:15 pm

In other words very capable and one of the people where history is fair to. A good summary Dong?
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:40 pm

I think he was a very good general with a good brain, brave and deserves to be remembered
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium