Zhang Liao's Reputation

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhang Liao's Reputation

Unread postby Marc » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:18 pm

I'm sure most people have heard that Zhang Liao was feared all over, and that 'crying children stopped their tears when he passed.' But what did he do to earn this reputation as a fearsome general? Was it because of his allegiance to Lu Bu, or was he simply a brilliant general for Bu and Wei that his reputation grew as he went along? I know he was imlpememnted in the plot ot kill Taishi Ci, so perhaps the fact he was the oen to defeat such a might warrior had something to do with it?
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Lu Wei » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:59 pm

In one of Sun Quan's attacks on Hefei, Zhang Liao led 800 men out in a daring attack on 100,000 Wu soldiers, and won. Sun Quan barely escaped, and Zhang Liao had a reputation in Wu from then on.
Lu Wei
Langzhong

Unread postby Elven Fury » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:05 pm

Yea Zhang Liao aka The Hero of Hefei... he led out the men and took on Sun Quan... so it was deserved that "when they uttered his name that children would stop their tears" which is a big reputation to live up to but in my opinion it is more than well deserved...
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Morg » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:34 pm

Elven Fury wrote:Yea Zhang Liao aka The Hero of Hefei...

I thought it was 'Butcher of Hefei'....but anyway, Zhang Liao did indeed gain his reputation from his role as defender of Hefei.
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Unread postby Elven Fury » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:55 pm

Elven Fury wrote:
Yea Zhang Liao aka The Hero of Hefei...

I thought it was 'Butcher of Hefei'....

hey whatever works... :lol: ive never heard it that way tho...
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:30 pm

It is both ways. In Wu he was called the butcher of Hefei, because his troops killed many of the Wu soldiers in the battle. In Wei he was the hero of Hefei, because his raid was massively successful and forced Sun Quan to go running home.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Wizardman » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:05 am

It reputation is well-deserved, since he basically won He Fei for Wei, and never had any embarrasing losses. things lie killign Taishi Ci and being allied weith Lu Bu are just icing on the cake.
Huang Zhong: Are you calling me old?!
Wei Yan: ...Yes.
Huang Zhong: Liu Bei! I demand you kill him!
Liu Bei: Well it's... true...
Wizardman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Devilrai » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:28 am

Zhang Liao was incredible at the battle of He Fei, he fought 100,000 troops with only 800 men? That is the best warrior of the Three Kingdoms in my opinion, its just awsome! He surpasses Lu Bu 10 times over...
Devilrai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Marc » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:39 am

Well thanks everyone that clears that up. Although I think that if he surpassed Lu Bu 10 times over he wouldn't have been content to stay as his officer.
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Morg » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:49 pm

Blue Moon Samurai wrote:Zhang Liao was incredible at the battle of He Fei, he fought 100,000 troops with only 800 men?

To be fair, most of the 100,000 men had dysentry and could barely stand, let alone defend themselves, IRC.
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium