Pang Tong or Zhuge Liang?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Pang Tong
17%
Zhuge Liang
65%
They were the same
17%

Total votes : 46

Unread postby Sima Hui » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:41 pm

Pang Tong died at Fallen Phoenix Slope in 214 A.D. He was 35. We never got to see how good he would have been at fighting Cao Cao and Sun Quan.

So what do you think? Was Pang Tong better than Zhuge Liang at strategy? Or was Zhuge the God of Planning? The debate starts now! :)
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Koichi » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:38 pm

As far as the novel and history is concerned, Pang Tong was not a match for Zhuge Liang. However smart the were, Zhuge Liang simply accomplished more in his lifetime than his Phoenix counterpart. Pang Tong's SGZ bio just talked alot about how smart he was but not much on what he actually did. Pang Tong suggested Liu Bei take Yizhou but Zhuge Liang suggested that the day he met Liu Bei.

Also keep in mind how Pang Tong died in the novel. Zhuge Liang warned Liu Bei that a disaster foreboded if Pang Tong ordered the attack. Pang Tong thought Zhuge Liang was jealous of his possible success and attacked anyway. No one is perfect but this mistake costed Pang Tong his life.
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ma Zhi Xuan » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:35 pm

Like Koichi said, it was Pang Tong's fault for his own death because he thought by being given advice and not thinking up of his own strategy, he thought Liu Bei wouldn't think him a valuble asset, so Pang Tong decided to choose the other route, which resulted in his death.

In end it was Zhuge's advice that was correct and Pang Tong's incorrect, or perhaps Zhuge knew that Pang Tong would act thus so Liu Bei travelled the safe and preserved his life instead of Pang Tong's :roll: ...or maybe not.

If given the time, I think Pang Tong may have accomplished more than Zhuge Liang military-wise, but Zhuge Liang IMO was the better politician of the two.
Ma Zhi Xuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In the Symphony of Destruction. Clashing the cymbols.

Unread postby Guan Suo » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:29 pm

Not that i think Zhuge was the god of planning but he was better then Pang Tong. If he had lived longer and acomplished more then maybe he might have been better then Zhuge. each kingdom has their stratigist that died early on. Shu had Fa Zheng and Pang Tong, Wei had Guo Jia and Wu had Zhou Yu.

So, Zhuge was better and i dont think anyone can fight that fact. Pang Tong didnt do much at all in his lifetime compared to Zhuge's which ultimatly killed him.
After the fall of Jingzhou, I was hidden by the Bao family from where I wanted to go to the River Lands to ask the First Ruler for a revenge for my father- Guan Suo
Guan Suo
Academic

Location: Laughing at Pang Tong from on top of Chengdu castle

Unread postby Elven Fury » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:06 pm

I feel that they ould have had their accomplishments and when one made a strategy the other could have checked it for flaws (though both their strategies were both practiacally flawless) but i feel that Zhuge Liang got to show more but in the long run they both could have had equal accomplishments...
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lafeel » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:20 pm

I personally think that Kongming is the better strategist of the two. Zhuge was far from the flawless strategist that some people make him out to be, but he did not make stupid mistakes like going to a location that's inauspicios for him. Thus Kongming gets my wote.
Lafeel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sima Hui » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:32 pm

I guess we'll never know now. I think Zhuge was better because he was never greedy for merit. Still, I think Pang Tong was brilliant...
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Andrew » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:51 pm

I always wonder what would happen if he was didn't die there, I mean they could have kept Konming with Guan Yu, and they could have reppeled the attacks of Wei and Wu, and Guan Yu may have surived.... anyway

Pang Tong didn't get enough time in life to see what he could do. He could have equlled Liang, who knows, but historacally Konming did more.
Formerly known as XiahouDun-22
Andrew
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Man Chong » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:37 am

In the novel, Zhuge Liang was definately the better.

But in history, it's not quite so clear. Zhuge Liang was brilliant, and he did many things to prove it. Pant Tong was Said by others to be brilliant. So he didn't do anything real big to prove his worth.
Man Chong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby K'ung-Ming » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:07 am

I would like to have seen Pang Tong live a bit longer...even if he wasn't quite up to par with Zhuge Liang, I'm still curious. He's a valuable asset, even if he is somewhat overshadowed...
K'ung-Ming
Initiate

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium