The "What If" Thread

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Frank » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:34 pm

It would be a good thing to see. A totally in-your-face, don't mess with me Han Emperor that takes crap from nobody!

But, seriously. He would assert more authority, and not be pushed around by the likes of the 10 Eunuchs, Dong Zhuo, and Cao Cao. He would have gotten business done himself, deal with all of his own problems. He wouldn't play around with these guys and be their puppet. He'd ask any feudal lords still loyal to him to join him, and he'd "deal" with everybody else.
/b/lackup has arrived.
Frank
Florida’s Finest

Unread postby n06guy » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:19 am

Theres no way he an "in you face" emperor could have lasted. Whoever was in control of the Capital, be it Dong Zhuo, Li Jue, or Cao Cao probably would have had him removed, and placed a puppet Emperor in his stead.

Also if the Emperor made a call to arms to protect him, its not like those who respond could get there fast enough for him to survive the wrath of the warlord in charge.
n06guy
Assistant

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:10 am

n06guy wrote:Theres no way he an "in you face" emperor could have lasted. Whoever was in control of the Capital, be it Dong Zhuo, Li Jue, or Cao Cao probably would have had him removed, and placed a puppet Emperor in his stead.

Also if the Emperor made a call to arms to protect him, its not like those who respond could get there fast enough for him to survive the wrath of the warlord in charge.

The only problem with Cao Cao removing the emperor is the same thing would happen to him that happened to Dong Zhou. Revolts would spring up everywhere.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jimayo » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:50 am

Sima Hui wrote:Posted in a duplicate thread:

Fou Lu wrote:I know relatively little. I haven't finished the novel, I've read most of Sima Guang's history of the period.
From what i understand, in 219, Sun Quan betrayed Liu Bei, and invaded Jing and Guan Yu, and killed him. I want to know what people think would have happened if Guan Yu had continued to campaign there. Would Liu Bei have made serious gains, because it appeared to me that Cao Cao was worried about Guan Yu

Might I direct people to this thread in the archives: http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=2806
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Mistelten » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:07 am

I think a ass-kicking Emperor would have been just the thing the country needed(as long as he wasn't a tyrant)! Think like Harrison Ford in Air Force One. A lot of times reading the novel, I just wonder why doesn't the emperor go out there and admonish his common soldiers.
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sima Hui » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:23 pm

Well everyone, there is an example of an Emperor who "takes no crap" in the novel.

His name was Cao Mao. Need I say more?

By the time of Xian, central Han authority was over. There was no way that he could take control even if he wanted to. 99% of the troops were loyal to whoever was controlling the Emperor.
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Frank » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:31 pm

I would have mentioned Cao Mao, but I think we were refering to a Han emperor. Otherwise, Cao Mao... that guy got things done. He knew Sima Zhao had aspirations for the throne, so he took his own troops out against him.
/b/lackup has arrived.
Frank
Florida’s Finest

Unread postby Mistelten » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:32 pm

He's the one who yelled something like "Who dares defy the son of heaven?!" right? If so, then he was the one I was thinking of when I posted. Too bad the last Han emperors didn't have his courage.
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sima Hui » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:37 pm

And that is why they died peaceful deaths, they weren't stupid enough to fight a futile battle.
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Rommel » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:38 pm

Sima Hui wrote:By the time of Xian, central Han authority was over. There was no way that he could take control even if he wanted to. 99% of the troops were loyal to whoever was controlling the Emperor.

I guess that central Han authority was over long before Dong Zhou's time. Not only the Han emperors became younger and younger when crowned the life span was shorter and shorter one emperor after the others. The real powers had fallen into hands of enunches and emperors' mothers and their related family. None of late Han's emperors were capable not to mention about any ambition. Han walked to its death slowly after Wang Mang's rebellion.
Rommel
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium